Wikiposts

Who Do You Think You Are?

Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:08 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

Originally Posted by robin1234
That is a lot of money. Going into business as a genealogical researcher for hire would be a useful & interesting source of income, in retirement for instance. I'm a member of the Northumberland & Durham Family History Society, and their magazine always has ads for researchers for hire.. if you can't fit in a week's holiday in the place where the records are housed, instructing a professional to look for you might be a good option.

As a librarian in an institution that has a lot of local & regional records, I often get emails from folks who want these kinds of lookups. Sometimes I do it for them for free, other times I refer them to our shortlist of local professionals.

I imagine that course at BU would be a good basis for setting up in business..
It is certainly a reputable item to be able to add to a resume, assuming researchers have them. Right now I would add it to my list of, if I had the money, I'd have a summer place in New England and a cottage in the UK, Ah well.

I would love to be part of a bridge between the New World and the Old World. At least I have some semblance of knowledge of geography,
Old Mar 18th 2010, 2:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
It is certainly a reputable item to be able to add to a resume, assuming researchers have them. Right now I would add it to my list of, if I had the money, I'd have a summer place in New England and a cottage in the UK, Ah well.

I would love to be part of a bridge between the New World and the Old World. At least I have some semblance of knowledge of geography,
If you had a cottage in London (admittedly, cottages can be pricey there...) you could definitely make money as a family history researcher. The number of places that house collections of unique records in London is extensive (National Maritine Museum, Lloyds, Society of Genealogists, National Archives at Kew etc..) You'd need a fully charged Oyster Card of course..
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:36 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
If you had a cottage in London (admittedly, cottages can be pricey there...) you could definitely make money as a family history researcher. The number of places that house collections of unique records in London is extensive (National Maritine Museum, Lloyds, Society of Genealogists, National Archives at Kew etc..) You'd need a fully charged Oyster Card of course..
I am pinin' for the fjords as I read your writing.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 6:56 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I am pinin' for the fjords as I read your writing.
If I had a contact there I'd get Hurtigruten to send you a couple of free tickets. Hang on, YOU probably have a contact there!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:34 pm
Sursum corda

A preview of the 19 March episode.

http://www.nbc.com/who-do-you-think-...89&o_lid=43089
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:28 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Oh Sorry

Why would you bother abreviating something only to type it straight after?
Because it's abbreviated that way in the census records in England and Wales. I guess everyone knows that an ag lab is an agricultural labourer.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:44 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Hasn't every American?.
No - if you define "native American" as someone living in America before 1492.

You're right that a tremendous number of Americans claim to descend from pre-1492 North American dwellers, but it may not be true, and if it is, it's hard to prove.

I'd always been told that my grandfather's family was of Cherokee descent, but until I could do my own independent research to prove it, I did not claim it.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 12:31 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by snowbunny

You're right that a tremendous number of Americans claim to descend from pre-1492 North American dwellers, but it may not be true, and if it is, it's hard to prove.

I'd always been told that my grandfather's family was of Cherokee descent, but until I could do my own independent research to prove it, I did not claim it.
The other thing is the immigrant group that someeone's ancestors came over-ie the wave of the last quarter of the 19th century ad first quarter of the 20th, probably not.

Also, it wasn't necessarily a connection that was mentioned in polite society.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:17 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Lisa Kudrow last night very touching episode.

I know this will sound catty and off topic but I was surprised how old she looked, none of us are getting any younger but even so!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

I know this will sound catty and off topic but I was surprised how old she looked, none of us are getting any younger but even so!
I was thinking the same thing. Mind you, I know I look worse from certain angles and the same seemed to be true for her.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
I was thinking the same thing. Mind you, I know I look worse from certain angles and the same seemed to be true for her.
Yes when she was travelling she looked a lot worse then when she was in the US.
But she seemed a nice lady and her Dad was a sweetheart.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:27 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's abbreviated that way in the census records in England and Wales. I guess everyone knows that an ag lab is an agricultural labourer.
Anyone with half a brain when its being used in a sentence regarding "Farmers". Dont think many with think its a particularly annoying canine.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:30 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

No....but I was. Thats what every man Jack of you claim. FFS youre worst than East Enders...every one of them is related to the ****ing Kray twins.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:36 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Same here but I didn't do the research. My uncle did in order to get "promised land" and job training for a federal parks job in the late 70s. He worked in Yellowstone for years and then moved to Alaska where he is about to retire. And you really don't need to do anything but look at my brother, mom, uncle, grandpa (and grandma) to know they are of native descent.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Mar 20th 2010 at 6:28 am. Reason: sp
Old Mar 20th 2010, 4:37 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Me too! That is the first thing I noticed. I guess it has been awhile since "Friends," and the actors/actresses were all probably older than their characters to start with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.