Who Do You Think You Are?

Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Who Do You Think You Are?

Oooh, the US adaptation of the British TV series "Who Do You Think You Are?" is starting this evening on NBC (right now 8pm if you're in the Eastern Time zone).

Sarah Jessica Parker is on tonight.....apparently one of her rellies was accused as a witch in Salem!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Do You Think You Are?

Saw the previews for this. Watching it right now. Wonder how it will compare to the Brit version?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:31 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh looking forward to it, I liked the UK one when they had Jerry Springer it brought a few tears to my eyes.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I quiet enjoyed it last night, SJP seemed very natural and nice (still looks like a camel lol)......Not sure I would be too chuffed to find out I was related to a witch back in the 1600 Century
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed it. I felt it was more scripted than the UK version and I didn't feel like I got to know anymore about SJP other than her ancestors, compared to the UK version which I felt gave the famous people a lot more "chat to camera" time.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Dont watch US adaptations ....... they ruined Steptoe $ Son and Drew Carey is in no way funny and has totally destroyed Who's line is it anyway.

Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I quiet enjoyed it last night, SJP seemed very natural and nice (still looks like a camel lol)......Not sure I would be too chuffed to find out I was related to a witch back in the 1600 Century
I am a direct descendant of one.
The Salem witch trials were a horrendous hysterical time. Another sterling example of how the "righteous" people used religion as an excuse to act on envy or greed or other less than upstanding traits against others.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I am a direct descendant of one.
The Salem witch trials were a horrendous hysterical time. Another sterling example of how the "righteous" people used religion as an excuse to act on envy or greed or other less than upstanding traits against others.
Yes but in this instance it was all she really came up with at the end and seemed to be over joyed with it.

My family goes way back further then the 1600's and are much more shady lol there are many books about their rise to nasty fame, fortune and death
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:40 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes but in this instance it was all she really came up with at the end and seemed to be over joyed with it.

My family goes way back further then the 1600's and are much more shady lol there are many books about their rise to nasty fame, fortune and death
Well in her case, and the case of a lot of people, they have an idea of a few odds and ends of info but nothing "old." She had said she knew about her dad's family but nothing about her mom's. Her mother just thought that her people were Cincy "over the Rhine" folks, nothing like what she found out. That was what excited her, the idea that she had family here before the USA was the USA. I can't explain the feeling it gives you, but it is kind of neat to know that someone who shared their DNA with you, got to see a country being made. Apologies to my family and others here with Native American ancestery.

As for going back further than the 1600s, sure I can and have done that and then some.

It would have been interesting to see where her family came from in England, likely East Anglia, but that's a generalization.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:48 am

Well in her case, and the case of a lot of people, they have an idea of a few odds and ends of info but nothing "old." She had said she knew about her dad's family but nothing about her mom's. Her mother just thought that her people were Cincy "over the Rhine" folks, nothing like what she found out. That was what excited her, the idea that she had family here before the USA was the USA. I can't explain the feeling it gives you, but it is kind of neat to know that someone who shared their DNA with you, got to see a country being made. Apologies to my family and others here with Native American ancestery.

As for going back further than the 1600s, sure I can and have done that and then some.

It would have been interesting to see where her family came from in England, likely East Anglia, but that's a generalization.
I actually missed the first 10-15mins.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was a pretty good show - I kind of agree with Pat about US adaptations, but I think this was one of the (rare?) occasions where the format carried over successfully.

I wonder if they start on more celebs than make it to the final cut? SJP had some pretty good/historically significant/interesting for tv finds in her ancestors - they can't always find such good stuff when they start out researching individuals....
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I wonder if they start on more celebs than make it to the final cut? SJP had some pretty good/historically significant/interesting for tv finds in her ancestors - they can't always find such good stuff when they start out researching individuals....
But didn't you see the preview for the Brooke Shields show..apparently one of her ancestors is King Louis XIV. Makes me wonder if they'll only show the celebs with exciting/famous ancestors just to keep it interesting.

I wonder how much it would cost to hire someone to look into this stuff as it would be pretty interesting to see who my ancestors were.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:42 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
But didn't you see the preview for the Brooke Shields show..apparently one of her ancestors is King Louis XIV. Makes me wonder if they'll only show the celebs with exciting/famous ancestors just to keep it interesting.

I wonder how much it would cost to hire someone to look into this stuff as it would be pretty interesting to see who my ancestors were.
I would love to do that, they have courses for certification, but like many other things in this current economy, it's not something folks need to spend money on. Perhaps I could convince Snowbunny to partner up.

Everything I've found has been on the internet through folks who've already done a lot of work. It's detective work.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to do that, they have courses for certification, but like many other things in this current economy, it's not something folks need to spend money on. Perhaps I could convince Snowbunny to partner up.

Everything I've found has been on the internet through folks who've already done a lot of work. It's detective work.
Agreed on not paying - I've done some on my tree, we've nothing particularly noteworthy, but it's still fascinating isn't it?

I don't even pay for the subscription for ancestry.com - I try to do as much as poss on free sites or the pay as you go ones for census pages etc. I do seem to spend a fortune on certificates, as I like to have those :rofl
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Yeah - that's what I mean, I wonder if some get started but don't make it to air...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.