Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:35 pm
wombat42

Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Oh wow thats what happened when I lived there. Have they found all those bodies yet....go to Dickward Drive 1Km into Fanny Bay and they're under that big Tree that I can't remember the name of but had a lot of flies around it when I left.
Dead bodies in " Dickward Drive" and " Fanny Bay", l don't want to know what
they died of.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:43 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Mercedes
. Sharks don't come into shallow water, most people attacked by sharks are skuba divers deep out in the ocean.
Hate to tell you but sharks do come into shallow water.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not often, large sharks that do so risk beng washed up on the beach. Of the millions of Australians that go swimming or surfing or skuba diving in the ocean each year only 3 are killed by sharks compared to 500 drowning, Most are killed at remote surf beaches in SA and Wa known areas for the great white shark .The risk is so small its not worth worrying about and no reason not to go swimming.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 6th 2005 at 4:06 pm.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes thats true, but thats why most of the population lives in the Eastern and Southern parts of the country, not the outback or the middle of nowhere.
Just like most Canadians live in the warmer southern part of the country and few live up in the frozen northern wastelands.
Yeah, 'cos southern Canada is virtually tropical!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jensen Healey
Yeah, 'cos southern Canada is virtually tropical!
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? In fact in the summer it can be - we get some scorchers (but without the humidity )
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:50 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Calgal
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? In fact in the summer it can be - we get some scorchers (but without the humidity )

But theres an awful lot of canadians down here in S. Florida.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by Calgal
Maybe just a tiny hint...
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:34 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is'nt 90% desert, Look at the eastern states where most of the population lives TAS, VIC, NSW and QLD most of it is nice green countryside.
As for the heat wearing you out, its not hot all the time, except in the far north of the country where very few people live, such as Darwin. Where most of the population lives the weather only gets hot during 3 months during summer and where l live l would only describe `10-15 days this summer as being hot, most summer days have been between 20-30 degrees. During winter it gets very cold in OZ and snows in many parts of VIC and NSW.
Go to Melbourne on a typical winter day, 4-12 degees pouring down raining, snowing in the Dandelong hills and tell me if you think its hot in Oz all the time.
Yep, I am first to admit that I am in the wrong state for me for sure. And if I was to return to OZ to live it would be somewhere like coastal NSW, VIC, SA, or Tassie.

But 90% of the country is uninhabitable desert. Thats why 95% of the population live around or near the coastline.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:17 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Yep, I am first to admit that I am in the wrong state for me for sure. And if I was to return to OZ to live it would be somewhere like coastal NSW, VIC, SA, or Tassie.

But 90% of the country is uninhabitable desert. Thats why 95% of the population live around or near the coastline.
70% of Australia is desert, not 90%.
Australia is 25 times larger then Britain and Ireland combined , so even if only 30% of OZ is green fertile land that is still a very large amount and alot more then Britain and ireland have. For example Tasmania is about the same
as Ireland and it is all green and fertile, Australias smallest mainland state Victoria is larger then Britain and Victoria is around 80% green and fertile
and also include all the green and fertile land in Southern WA and SA
and eastern NSW and QLD. with a population of only 20 million Australians have and enjoy alot more green and fertile land then people in the UK do.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 7th 2005 at 10:33 am.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

i feel sorry form SDER who started what has ending as such a farcical thread. Neverland and kiwichild clearly need to quit whinging and move if she/he doesnt like their situation, i hate whingers. I just feel sorry for poor simone who copped a right mouthful.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lawlaw
i feel sorry form SDER who started what has ending as such a farcical thread. Neverland and kiwichild clearly need to quit whinging and move if she/he doesnt like their situation, i hate whingers. I just feel sorry for poor simone who copped a right mouthful.
The question was what is wrong with Australia? the answer is: nothing is wrong with it, it is just no better than any other country, just different. It is a big move to come here, so you should be prepared and not expect paradise here. That has nothing to do with whiging but is reality. And I am sure that people can handle reality.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neverland
The question was what is wrong with Australia? the answer is: nothing is wrong with it, it is just no better than any other country, just different. It is a big move to come here, so you should be prepared and not expect paradise here. That has nothing to do with whiging but is reality. And I am sure that people can handle reality.
Agreed, everyone has a right to air their experiences. That is what this forum is for. If you only want the hear the basic facts like where the nearest beach is then watch the holiday programme.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 12:27 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
I did?

I'm alright!

I think this has actually been a reasonable sort of thread, even though I don't agree with everything, it's alright!

Australia is definetly not perfect(and neither is any other country), and migrating is also not easy.
And I can whinge as well
Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:39 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

And don't tell them that the shark nets off all the swimming beaches actually only run 25 metres or so with gaps of 100 metres in between. that explains why people get taken from the beaches despite the nets.

the shark nets also do huge damage to the whales, dolphins and turtles which regularly get caught up in them. all just to please ignorant humans. it is hard to believe that people can live in australia and then say sharks do not come into shallow waters. unbelievable.

Hate to tell you but sharks do come into shallow water.
Yes, but not often, large sharks that do so risk beng washed up on the beach. Of the millions of Australians that go swimming or surfing or skuba diving in the ocean each year only 3 are killed by sharks compared to 500 drowning, Most are killed at remote surf beaches in SA and Wa known areas for the great white shark .The risk is so small its not worth worrying about and no reason not to go swimming.[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 9th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Thought I may as well add my opinion.....and that is.......I think if you are not able to make a successful go of it in Australia/US/Canada for whatever reasons (socially, economically) you are not going to like it and will return to wherever you came from (because it was ok after all) or travel from one country to another to find a Utopia that doesn't exist.

I am lucky enough to have traveled extensively and enjoyed living in the UK and parts of Europe. However, I love life in Sydney very much so far and don't miss anything much except for some friends and relos. Ok....I have to admit that France was better for snow.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 12:58 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Thought I may as well add my opinion.....and that is.......I think if you are not able to make a successful go of it in Australia/US/Canada for whatever reasons (socially, economically) you are not going to like it and will return to wherever you came from (because it was ok after all) or travel from one country to another to find a Utopia that doesn't exist.

I am lucky enough to have traveled extensively and enjoyed living in the UK and parts of Europe. However, I love life in Sydney very much so far and don't miss anything much except for some friends and relos. Ok....I have to admit that France was better for snow.
I think on what you and others have said, it is not always black and white.

It could be great for a few years in a place then for whatever reason you want to move on, same as you may hate a place initally, make plans to move but it then starts to get better.

Life does not have to be static and if you want to move for whatever reason, just do it.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.