Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice
Default What's wrong with Australia?

I was just reading a few past posts and noticed how many people are moving back to the UK, from Australia. I know every person is different, and everyone had different wants/desires. But, I cant understand anyone wanting to leave OZ! I have travelled there twice and that country is my dream country. It has everything....beaches, desert, barrier reef, mountains...Its beautiful, its like America...without the Americans and the crowds!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:04 pm
Merlot

Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by SDER
I was just reading a few past posts and noticed how many people are moving back to the UK, from Australia. I know every person is different, and everyone had different wants/desires. But, I cant understand anyone wanting to leave OZ! I have travelled there twice and that country is my dream country. It has everything....beaches, desert, barrier reef, mountains...Its beautiful, its like America...without the Americans and the crowds!
You've hit the nail on the head, it is "your dream country". Not always everyone elses and everyone on the Forum will give different, personal answers to why they moved back. Mine was my family here in the UK.

M

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

SDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really niceSDER is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
You've hit the nail on the head, it is "your dream country". Not always everyone elses and everyone on the Forum will give different, personal answers to why they moved back. Mine was my family here in the UK.

M
Sure, Another thing is that I was travelling (on holiday) and I know it must be alot different when you are living and working there. Hmmm, I haven't convinced myself....I think I would still love to live there
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:52 pm
ImHere

Sure, Another thing is that I was travelling (on holiday) and I know it must be alot different when you are living and working there. Hmmm, I haven't convinced myself....I think I would still love to live there

Correct. Any place is wonderful when your life consists of a few days in the pool, down the bar and generally lounging around. Once you live there, eat work, sleep, deal with the beaurocracy on a day to day basis and all the other shit that goes with everyday life it can seem somewhat different.

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 10:58 pm
Adopt me????!!!!!

serdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud ofserdwin has much to be proud of

I loved it too....and will be going there....it is a different place alright...the trick is to stay away from burocratic bull....where ever you are....it's everywhere.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 11:24 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by ImHere
Correct. Any place is wonderful when your life consists of a few days in the pool, down the bar and generally lounging around. Once you live there, eat work, sleep, deal with the beaurocracy on a day to day basis and all the other shit that goes with everyday life it can seem somewhat different.
Theres nothing wrong with OZ ,in my opinion theres something wrong with the people that keep slagging off at it all the time, maybe they are jealous.
Its the best country in the world to live in, great climate, booming economy, low unemployment, thousands of miles of unspoilt beaches, spectacular scenic coastline and national parks, variety of landscapes from green countryside, forests and snow capped mountains, to the desert outback to rainforests and tropical islands.
Don't you have to deal with bastard Beaurocracy in every country its no worse in OZ and atleast we speak English down here, try dealing with Beaurocracy in Spain, France or Italy for example. A life consisting of Lounging around the pool and bar does'nt sound too dreadful to me.
Most of the people that leave OZ do so because they are homesick and miss friends and family not because they hate OZ or think there is something wrong with it. The people that hate OZ tend to be Stiff , Snobbish people with a superiority complex , that believe anywhere that is'nt Paris, New York or London is Uncultured , Uncivilised ,backward , isolated and the third world.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 4th 2005 at 12:11 am.

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Everybody has different priorities. If you love travelling, UK is a better base for you. If you prefer the seasons over heat, the Uk is a better base for you. I can tell you how I lived in Europe and Canada:

- a nice house, almost no crime, I hardly ever locked my house or car
- plenty of things to do, winter and summer activities (starting from skiing, scating to swimming in the lakes, climbing, hiking, etc.)
- a great job
- plenty of friends and family
- i could ride my bike to work every day
- I went on a holiday to Greece, the States, Canada or where ever at least
twice a year
- great health

And now how I live in Australia:

- a secured apartment (with drunk Aboriginals in front of the house and sometimes drug user needles), a lot of crime, just last night our car got broken into (again!). We have double locks on everything. Of course I could move into a house in the suburbs (but then I have to commute to work forever)
- Hardly anything to do, far too hot for 7 months of the year. Best thing you can is swim in the sea, apart from that not much to do outdoors
- no family here
- took me ages to find somebody who wanted to talk about more than sports, beer and BBQ
- 2 years of job struggle, temp, casual, part time being on the rise. Full time permanent seems almost non-existing anymore...
- as far as holidays go: have not been out of this town for ages. Can't afford it. Everything is far away.
- health: allergies (mould), also constantly rashes from the heat, developed some very nasty moles here (got 9 cut out since I am here)

I have lived in many countries and have never be so bored in my entirely life as here. I am not leaving, because I am homesick. I don't miss anything from my home country. I am leaving because I know that for me there is better places out there. Everybody to their own liking though.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ImHere
Correct. Any place is wonderful when your life consists of a few days in the pool, down the bar and generally lounging around. .

thats what we do now isnt it ?
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:06 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by neverland
Everybody has different priorities. If you love travelling, UK is a better base for you. If you prefer the seasons over heat, the Uk is a better base for you. I can tell you how I lived in Europe and Canada:

- plenty of things to do, winter and summer activities (starting from skiing, scating to swimming in the lakes, climbing, hiking, etc.)
- a great job
twice a year
- great health
Sounds like you moved from a great part of Canada to a crap part of OZ, Sounds like Perth or Darwin. There are crap parts of Northern Canada where it is too freezing cold most of the year to do anything and parts of Canada where there are high crime rates. That does'nt mean all of Canada is crap.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 4th 2005 at 5:52 am.

Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:43 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly 90% is uninhabitable desert
Secondly, the natives(and I mean whites) are basically arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, and not given to friendliness unless they see an advantage in it for them.
thirdly, the heat can just wear you out at times
and regarding wombats comment on employment: employment here is measured as having one hour of paid work per week.

You can have a good lifestlye here financially speaking, but on any other level, don't hold your breath.

I'm out of here and heading to UK as soon as I finish my degree.

It's a nice place for a holiday, living here is something else.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:45 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

- a great job
twice a year
- great health

- a secured apartment (with drunk Aboriginals in front of the house and sometimes drug user needles), a lot of crime, just last night our car got broken into (again!). We have double locks on everything. Of course I could move into a house in the suburbs (but then I have to commute to work forever)
- Hardly anything to do, far too hot for 7 months of the year. Best thing you can is swim in the sea, apart from that not much to do outdoors
- no family here
- took me ages to find somebody who wanted to talk about more than sports, beer and BBQ
- 2 years of job struggle, temp, casual, part time being on the rise. Full time permanent seems almost non-existing anymore...
- as far as holidays go: have not been out of this town for ages. Can't afford it. Everything is far away.
- health: allergies (mould), also constantly rashes from the heat, developed some very nasty moles here (got 9 cut out since I am here)

I have lived in many countries and have never be so bored in my entirely life as here. I am not leaving, because I am homesick. I don't miss anything from my home country. I am leaving because I know that for me there is better places out there. Everybody to their own liking though.
I am in TOTAL agreement with you. Have some karma
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Sounds like you moved from a great part of Canada to a crap part of OZ, Sounds like Perth or Darwin. There are crap parts of Northern Canada where it is too freezing cold most of the year to do anything and parts of Canada where there are high crime rates. That does'nt mean all of Canada is crap.

Have you been to Darwin Wombat? I spent a couple of years there and had a ball. The social life was good, though could have changed since I was there. I found plenty to do, even though it got dark earlyish, still went bike riding as they had desinated paths, swimming in pools. Played squash and tennis and on the weekends used to go gliding and parachuting....and then partying . Met some terrific people and its not far to pop over to Asia either. You have some beautiful gorges up there also.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough

What most people see when they first go to a new country is the physical things - beaches, mountains, shops, buildings etc.

But really this things are just the back drop to life - not the essence of life.

The fact that Oz in English speaking actually enables people to feel far deeper far quicker what Oz culture is all about. Where as those that go to Spain or France often remain in their bubbles with rose coloured glasses for years and years.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wombat42
Theres nothing wrong with OZ ,in my opinion theres something wrong with the people that keep slagging off at it all the time, maybe they are jealous.
Its the best country in the world to live in, great climate, booming economy, low unemployment, thousands of miles of unspoilt beaches, spectacular scenic coastline and national parks, variety of landscapes from green countryside, forests and snow capped mountains, to the desert outback to rainforests and tropical islands.
Don't you have to deal with bastard Beaurocracy in every country its no worse in OZ and atleast we speak English down here, try dealing with Beaurocracy in Spain, France or Italy for example. A life consisting of Lounging around the pool and bar does'nt sound too dreadful to me.
Most of the people that leave OZ do so because they are homesick and miss friends and family not because they hate OZ or think there is something wrong with it. The people that hate OZ tend to be Stiff , Snobbish people with a superiority complex , that believe anywhere that is'nt Paris, New York or London is Uncultured , Uncivilised ,backward , isolated and the third world.
Erm, I don't know where your post came from... nobody was slagging it off, in fact the contrary. "The country is so beautiful, why would you want to leave? You shouldn't be so defensive, there is always someone that is going to say something negative about ANY country. Not every country is suited to everyone. One prefers, UK, the other US and others OZ. Its just a personal opinion.....
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

- a great job
twice a year
- great health

- no family here

Wow, I am so surprised! I would have loved to move to OZ - where in OZ are you living?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.