Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:41 am
ImHere

Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by wombat42
Australia is'nt 90% desert, Look at the eastern states where most of the population lives TAS, VIC, NSW and QLD most of it is nice green countryside.
As for the heat wearing you out, its not hot all the time, except in the far north of the country where very few people live, such as Darwin. Where most of the population lives the weather only gets hot during 3 months during summer and where l live l would only describe `10-15 days this summer as being hot, most summer days have been between 20-30 degrees. During winter it gets very cold in OZ and snows in many parts of VIC and NSW.
Go to Melbourne on a typical winter day, 4-12 degees pouring down raining, snowing in the Dandelong hills and tell me if you think its hot in Oz all the time.

I know fek all about Australia since I live in the US but...if this is the case why do most Aussies say the British weather is crap? Doesnt sound much different really....warm summers and grey, mild, wet winters.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ImHere
I know fek all about Australia since I live in the US but...if this is the case why do most Aussies say the British weather is crap? Doesnt sound much different really....warm summers and grey, mild, wet winters.
Very simple: if you say that you don't like the cold and rain, surely an Australian will come along and say come to Australia it is always sunny and warm, but if you say that you don't like the heat, sure as an Australian will come along saying come to Australia, there is parts where there is cooler weather and it is great. Either way, Australia is always the best(est) place in the world (as most people who have never been out of this country think). I have learned to keep my mouth shut and listen to how great this country is although at times it gives me a headache. Not sure if it is just american (whoops, australian) patriotism or if it is just plain narrow-mindedness.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neverland
Very simple: if you say that you don't like the cold and rain, surely an Australian will come along and say come to Australia it is always sunny and warm, but if you say that you don't like the heat, sure as an Australian will come along saying come to Australia, there is parts where there is cooler weather and it is great. Either way, Australia is always the best(est) place in the world (as most people who have never been out of this country think). I have learned to keep my mouth shut and listen to how great this country is although at times it gives me a headache. Not sure if it is just american (whoops, australian) patriotism or if it is just plain narrow-mindedness.

Well I've heard a few Australians moan about Australia, I met one in London who felt Sydney had a small town mentality and he loved being able to go to other countries and cities for variety. And I certainly heard alot moan about Darwin and the NT when I was based there.

Out of all the countries you have lived, where were you the happiest. Maybe draw up a list of likes and dislikes and what you want out of life and go for it. You are a long time dead to be somewhere you're not happy. I liked Dubai, but living there long term I'm not sure I could. If you like variety then maybe you need to move where it is. I lived in Oz for 12 years and moved every 2 years, some places I liked others I didn't some that I didn't like I changed my mind when I lived there. But the moving around gave me variety. I think places are often the people you meet etc at the time. I have thought many times about going back to Oz but I'm not sure where I would go back to and I have friends scattered over the whole continent. In my case I find it is not always a positive thing to go back as places change and so do people and so do I, so I tend to move onto other pastures . I live in south of Europe mainly because I commute from there, but it gives me the outdoor life I like, plus the variety of going to different countries and meeting different people. There are some beautiful places in Oz, but to me its not just about Geography and scenery, it is also about people. I wasn't that keen on the small towns either in the North and certainly wouldn't have wanted to live there. I would have been bored out of my head. Obviously you're not happy, and it doesn't matter what anyone says you have to live your life to what makes you happy and if Oz isnt the place move on.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:12 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Well I've heard a few Australians moan about Australia, I met one in London who felt Sydney had a small town mentality and he loved being able to go to other countries and cities for variety. And I certainly heard alot moan about Darwin and the NT when I was based there.

Out of all the countries you have lived, where were you the happiest. Maybe draw up a list of likes and dislikes and what you want out of life and go for it. You are a long time dead to be somewhere you're not happy. I liked Dubai, but living there long term I'm not sure I could. If you like variety then maybe you need to move where it is. I lived in Oz for 12 years and moved every 2 years, some places I liked others I didn't some that I didn't like I changed my mind when I lived there. But the moving around gave me variety. I think places are often the people you meet etc at the time. I have thought many times about going back to Oz but I'm not sure where I would go back to and I have friends scattered over the whole continent. In my case I find it is not always a positive thing to go back as places change and so do people and so do I, so I tend to move onto other pastures . I live in south of Europe mainly because I commute from there, but it gives me the outdoor life I like, plus the variety of going to different countries and meeting different people. There are some beautiful places in Oz, but to me its not just about Geography and scenery, it is also about people. I wasn't that keen on the small towns either in the North and certainly wouldn't have wanted to live there. I would have been bored out of my head. Obviously you're not happy, and it doesn't matter what anyone says you have to live your life to what makes you happy and if Oz isnt the place move on.
Spot on. And substitute anywhere for Oz. K'd

Something that really gets my goat is the "I love it here so you must be a complete dick to hate it, or even say you'd be happy else where" attitude from some people.

Last edited by ImHere; Apr 5th 2005 at 3:14 pm.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Benny Hill is an unknown quantity at this point

After being in Oz for 18 months returning and spending last weekend going along the Thames onto HMS Belfast buying some Monkfish in Burrow market and the whole buzz (and sunshine) last weekend, there is no place better.

Although this is a bit hypocritical as I live 1 hour outside in the gorgeous countryside, its still so accessible and so is countless capital cities and beaches in Europe.

I wouldn't return to Oz for all the fish in sea!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are more opportunities in living in other countries than they were say 10 years ago and more flights which don't need a mortgage nowadays to explore. So it doesn't limit people as it once did which is a good thing.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:57 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Benny Hill
After being in Oz for 18 months returning and spending last weekend going along the Thames onto HMS Belfast buying some Monkfish in Burrow market and the whole buzz (and sunshine) last weekend, there is no place better.
You had Sunshine last weekend, that must be the first for the year. l bet everyone came running out of their dreary little council flats and little semi-detached and terrace hovels and all pointed up into the sky, Shouting " The Sun, The Sun," only to then see it disappear under the cloud and fog.
Oh Well, theres always next year.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 5th 2005 at 10:08 pm.

Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

@Mercedes: I was happier in every country I lived before. I cannot even compare my level of happiness as I was completely happy elsewhere (except for my home country maybe) and completely unhappy here. The reason why we have not moved out of Australia yet: I listened to the many people that say: give it more time and you will start loving it (I should have listened to my gut feeling instead), also I listened to the people that said: move somewhere else in Australia and you will be happy (also a big mistake as Australia is Australia, scenery wise and weather wise it might be different as we found out when moving and traveling but the people, the isolation of the continent, the job opps for me etc etc stays the same). At the moment it is going great for my husband here. So I will have to stick it out for abit longer. I am paranoid to yet again make a wrong move. So I prefer to not "run" off and do my research and visit places and then decide.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You had Sunshine last weekend, that must be the first for the year. l bet everyone came running out of their dreary little council flats and little semi-detached and terrace hovels and all pointed up into the sky, Shouting " The Sun, The Sun," only to then see it disappear under the cloud and fog.
Oh Well, theres always next year.
Wombat which countries have you visited and liked? Are you true blue Australian or first or second generation and where did you family originate from and final question which part of Australia do you like best?.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:53 pm
wombat42

Wombat which countries have you visited and liked? Are you true blue Australian or first or second generation and where did you family originate from and final question which part of Australia do you like best?.
l have traveled around OZ but not overseas , would'nt want to waste my money going to foreign countries when l am in the best country. Why spend thousands of dollars to holiday on some overcrowded, polluted European beach, with brown cold water ,when l can have miles of unspoilt fantastic beaches, with golden sand and clear blue water and great surf in OZ all to my self for almost nothing.
Think l am a fifth generation Australian, most of my ancestors came from Ireland in the 1850's some from Germany. l think Victoria is the best state to live in, Tasmania is the most scenic state and Queensland the best state for a holiday.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 6th 2005 at 12:00 am.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

l have traveled around OZ but not overseas , would'nt want to waste my money going to foreign countries when l am in the best country. Why spend thousands of dollars to holiday on some overcrowded, polluted European beach, with brown cold water ,when l can have miles of unspoilt fantastic beaches, with golden sand and clear blue water and great surf in OZ all to my self for almost nothing.
Think l am a fifth generation Australian, most of my ancestors came from Ireland in the 1850's some from Germany. l think Victoria is the best state to live in, Tasmania is the most scenic state and Queensland the best state for a holiday.

. You have NO idea what you are missing out on. No idea. There is more to life and travelling than beaches. But never mind.

neverland (dreaming of the beautiful crystal clear waters in Greece where there is no sharks, Crocs or box jelly fish, where the water is nice and refreshing, the locals friendly, the food fantastic, the sailing beautiful, ....)
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:15 am
wombat42

. You have NO idea what you are missing out on. No idea. There is more to life and travelling than beaches. But never mind.

neverland (dreaming of the beautiful crystal clear waters in Greece where there is no sharks, Crocs or box jelly fish, where the water is nice and refreshing, the locals friendly, the food fantastic, the sailing beautiful, ....)
Sounds pity boring going swimming without Sharks, Crocs and Box jellyfish to dodge.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay I agree you have some great beaches and the country has some great scenery. But there is more to the world than Europe and there are some beautiful places also there that are not crowded. There are so many beautiful places to explore and diversity of cultures, so how can you unless you have been to any where but Australia have a comparision? You cannot critisise anywhere else unless you have actually been there and lived. So get that backpack out and be adventureous see the world, there are so many great places to explore and home is always there to go back to then but you will go back with more of a broaden mind......or are you worried that you might actually like somewhere else more?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

You know I thought if someone wanted to committ suicide in a different way to taking pills etc, Darwin was a great place to do it. Jump in the sea, and you had the box jelly fish, shark, crocs and sea snakes, you'd be pretty pissed off if you survived ......
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:32 am
wombat42

.....or are you worried that you might actually like somewhere else more?
Possibly. :scared: :scared: :scared: Then l would'nt be able to come on this forum and denigrate other peoples countries and insult people who don't like OZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.