Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:22 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by Mercedes
You're not alone there Pants, when I came back to the UK I thought it would be happy famlies as well.....ha ha ha. I now live my life for myself and my friends become my extended family wherever I am. I learnt to make my life where I am to what I want it to be and not have any expectations of anyone else. That way there is no disappointment, so now I don't live my life around family or friends but make it around me and those who enter it however long they remain in my life.
Yes thats very true Mercedes...I certainly intend to make this a happy life for my "family" and I have do look upon certain close friends more like family members now. My daughter gets all the love and attention she needs from us. I never had my grandad, grandma around when I grew up just my immediate family and I don't think I was any worse of for it. My dad was killed in an accident when I was 13 and my mum brought us 3 girls up all on her own so I know it "works" !I'm sure she felt the stress and strain though poor love...still she did ok with all of us, hard work for definate.

Well I am of for a relaxing evening..take care
P
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:50 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neverland
. You have NO idea what you are missing out on. No idea. There is more to life and travelling than beaches. But never mind.

neverland (dreaming of the beautiful crystal clear waters in Greece where there is no sharks, Crocs or box jelly fish, where the water is nice and refreshing, the locals friendly, the food fantastic, the sailing beautiful, ....)
Sorry, but I read enough of your posts Neverland - I need to reply.

I too, have travelled around the world, lived and worked in LA and Sydney, all have had there fair share of issues.

As you say, Aus, has it's problems like any country, but all you do is "moan" ! If it is that bad then get out now, sod what is good for your other half's work.By the sound of it, you are near to suicide

I live in London, yeah, very nice when we have the weather, gives a good buzz around the place, but crap on a wet, windy, winters day and you get a lot of them. Also crap if you have to bring up a family, but that is another story

I have found Aussie's to be some of the nicest people to meet. I'm afraid ou need a personality transplant, or some happy pills maybe

Got to say, Greece and the Greek Islands, again nice people, but where these beaches you talk about, are they the ones in-between the stony rock pools and shingle beaches, or the sandy ones inhabited by hundreds of tourists with the British pubs
Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:52 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
Off the wall question.

Having never been to Australia, I'm curious. From the TV programs and some photos I've seen, Australian houses and neighborhoods look very similar to the "brick ranch" style house I see all over the SE United States. Other aspects of the neighborhood design also look similar - no sidewalks, wide streets (in comparison to the UK).

Has anyone been to both places (SE USA, and Oz), and if so, do the houses and neighborhoods look similar?
Oh yes, but the Aussies will say different
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:00 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops

Got to say, Greece and the Greek Islands, again nice people, but where these beaches you talk about, are they the ones in-between the stony rock pools and shingle beaches, or the sandy ones inhabited by hundreds of tourists with the British pubs
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is more to life than shark infested beaches. There is a type of Aussie who has never left the country and since birth has been told that the Land Down Under is the greatest place on earth that god created. They believe this as they cannot afford to leave the country and use this as an excuse to maintain their ignorant little world. When they are ready for the big trip they jump in their cars are go around all the big things in Oz. The big banana, big pineapple, big prawn, big merino and marvel at how horrible and dangerous the world outside Oz is.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:19 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by bondipom
There is more to life than shark infested beaches. There is a type of Aussie who has never left the country and since birth has been told that the Land Down Under is the greatest place on earth that god created. They believe this as they cannot afford to leave the country and use this as an excuse to maintain their ignorant little world. When they are ready for the big trip they jump in their cars are go around all the big things in Oz. The big banana, big pineapple, big prawn, big merino and marvel at how horrible and dangerous the world outside Oz is.
Who is he? l would like to meet him, sounds like his a great bloke.
l would much rather travel to Coffs Harbour and see the Big Banana then travel to Paris to see some ugly rusting overated mobile phone tower.
Attached Images  

Old Apr 21st 2005, 12:21 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
its kinda funny that a large percentage of the US population is the same way. A lot really think the rest of the world somehow is not as civilised as the USA is.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by callé
its kinda funny that a large percentage of the US population is the same way. A lot really think the rest of the world somehow is not as civilised as the USA is.
The scariest people I met were those that had never left Oklahoma. The Kansas border was only about 20kms north.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:27 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would much rather travel to Coffs Harbour and see the Big Banana then travel to Paris to see some ugly rusting overated mobile phone tower.
nuff said. Game set and match.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:32 am

gedge has disabled reputation

There's proof of what BP was saying.
"I'd rather stay in my back yard, as the rest of the world is crap."
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

the French would be furieux if they read that! I'm not sure that a James Bond film would be quite so impressive filmed round the Big Banana - rather than on the "phone tower". Still.....funny thought
Old Apr 21st 2005, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by chocaholic
the French would be furieux if they read that! I'm not sure that a James Bond film would be quite so impressive filmed round the Big Banana - rather than on the "phone tower". Still.....funny thought
LOL Not heard of anyone skydiving off the big banana. I could imagine Grace Jones grappling with the Big Banana.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Oh dear
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:23 am
Banned

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:48 am
Just Joined

trueman is an unknown quantity at this point

Simone, I don't know where I said that I live in Darwin? I might be living in Cairns, Kununurra, Broome or God knows where up north. I took Darwin as an example.
Well I live in Broome and I have been to both Cairns and Kununurra on numerous occasions and I dont think you live in any of those towns. If you do then you certainly are a drama queen. I admit the black fellas can be a pain in the arse especially when they are pissed but the only area that I know of as bad as you describe is as Wombat says Redfern in Sydney.

What does your husband do for a living anyway? If you already live in the best part of town then why dont you leave that town. Dont get me wrong I know Australia isnt perfect, I should know Ive lived here all my life but you cant go slagging it off just because you are stuck in a bad situation and your husband hasnt got the balls to do something about it. If I were you I would tell him to get you out of there or you will go yourself. We all are in control of our own destinys.

Oh and I still think Australia is the best place in the world to live by far.

GOD BUT I LOVE BEING AN AUSSIE.............

WE ARE ONE - We are the people of a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional wanker. We come from many lands (although a few too many of us come from New Zealand), and although we live in the best country in the world, we reserve the right to bitch and moan about it whenever we bloody like. We are One Nation but divided into States.
First, there's Victoria,
named after a queen who didn't believe in lesbians. Victoria is the realm of Mossimo turtlenecks, cafe latte, grand final day, and big horse races. Its capital is Melbourne, whose chief marketing pitch is that "it's liveable". At least that's what they think. The rest of us think it is too bloody cold and wet.

Next, there's New South Wales,
the realm of pastel shorts, macchiato with sugar, thin books read quickly and millions of dancing queens. Its capital Sydney has more queens than any other city in the world and is proud of it. Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers that pull their Speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains separate.

Down south we have Tasmania,
a State based on the notion that the family that bonks together stays together. In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception. Maps of the State bring smiles to the sternest faces. It holds the world record for a single mass shooting, which the Yanks can't seem to beat no matter how often they try.

South Australia
is the province of half-decent reds, a festival of foreigners and bizarre axe murders. SA is the state of innovation. Where else can you so effectively reuse country bank vaults and barrels as in Snowtown, just out of Adelaide (also named after a queen). They had the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of Adelaide sent the Formula One drivers to sleep at the wheel.

Western Australia
is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did, all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work. WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the government and business.

The Northern Territory
is the red heart of our land. Outback plains, and dusty kids with big smiles. It also has the highest beer consumption of anywhere on the planet and its creek beds have the highest aluminium content of anywhere too. Although the Territory is the centrepiece of our national culture, few of us live there and the rest prefer to flyover it on our way to Bali.

And there's Queensland.
While any mention of God seems silly in a document defining a nation of half arsed sceptics, it is worth noting that God probably made Queensland, as its beautiful one day and perfect the next. Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery.

Oh yes and there's Canberra. The less said the better.

We, the citizens of Oz, are united by Highways, whose treacherous twists and turns kill more of us each year than murderers. We are united in our lust for international recognition, so desperate for praise we leap in joy when a rag tag gaggle of corrupt IOC officials tells us Sydney is better than Beijing. We are united by a democracy so flawed that a political party albeit a redneck gun toting one, can get a million votes and still not win one seat in Federal Parliament.

Not that we're whingeing, we leave that to our Pommy immigrants.

We want to make "no worries mate" our national phrase, "she'll be right mate" our national attitude and "Waltzing Matilda" our national anthem (so what if it's about a sheep-stealing crim who commits suicide). We love sport so much our newsreaders can read the death toll from a sailing race and still tell us who's winning.

And we're the best in the world at all the sports that count, like cricket, swimming, netball, rugby league and union, AFL, roo shooting, two up and horse racing. We also have the biggest rock, the tastiest pies, and the worst dressed Olympians in the known universe. Only in Australia can a pizza delivery get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Australia do we have bank doors wide open, no security guards, or cameras but chain the pens to the desk.

Stand proud Aussies - we shoot, we root, we vote. We are girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime. Even though we might seem a racist, closed minded, sports obsessed little people, at least we feel better for it.

I am, you are, we are Australian!

P.S We also shoot and eat the two animals that are on our National Crest!!!! (the roo and emu) No other country has this distinction!

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY - January 26, 2005.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.