Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Australia?

What's wrong with Australia?

Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Australia?

Originally Posted by bondipom
The scariest people I met were those that had never left Oklahoma. The Kansas border was only about 20kms north.
Or people in the Uk who have lived in the same town all their life and 10 years later you can find them in the same pub talking the same boring dribble. Travelling a hour away they get their car serviced and pack a suitcase.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:35 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
I have found Aussie's to be some of the nicest people to meet. with the
I found Aussies in London reasonably friendly as well. Interestingly none came from Perth LOL!! Also I think you will find that people from any country who travel generally have a different mindset to those back in their home country.

Australians overseas are more likely to be friendly as they are out of their comfort zone and will hang out with kiwis, canadians, poms, and white south africans ( the commonwealth syndrome). I did the same too by the way. It's just trying to find something familiar in an unfamiliar environment.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:26 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Or people in the Uk who have lived in the same town all their life and 10 years later you can find them in the same pub talking the same boring dribble. Travelling a hour away they get their car serviced and pack a suitcase.
Bondi have to agree with this, I find UK people just as insular (the very worst) and they are not even happy or proud. America and Australia seem bad because they are huge countries; if the UK was as big there would be people just as bad.

Badge

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:28 am
Badge

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I found Aussies in London reasonably friendly as well. Interestingly none came from Perth LOL!! Also I think you will find that people from any country who travel generally have a different mindset to those back in their home country.

Australians overseas are more likely to be friendly as they are out of their comfort zone and will hang out with kiwis, canadians, poms, and white south africans ( the commonwealth syndrome). I did the same too by the way. It's just trying to find something familiar in an unfamiliar environment.
It never ceases to amaze me generally how well travelled and influential Australians can be, given half the chance - an Australian pops up in most places. The ones that travel that is, not all do, just like alot of people.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:57 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Badge
Bondi have to agree with this, I find UK people just as insular (the very worst) and they are not even happy or proud. America and Australia seem bad because they are huge countries; if the UK was as big there would be people just as bad.

Badge
I must say I have discovered this on my return to the UK to live, especially in the work environment, seem very guarded and very suspicious of me as I have moved back to the UK to live in crumby Teesside, they think I have rocks in my head. I think they shy away from postivity and happiness, they do love to have a moan, even on a sunny day.

I would say the English are not a proud race in the same way as the Welsh, Scots, N. Irish and Irish are, except when they can don their England shirts and getted p*ssed at the boozer, we do lack class at times.

M

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:27 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Merlot
I must say I have discovered this on my return to the UK to live, especially in the work environment, seem very guarded and very suspicious of me as I have moved back to the UK to live in crumby Teesside, they think I have rocks in my head. I think they shy away from postivity and happiness, they do love to have a moan, even on a sunny day.

I would say the English are not a proud race in the same way as the Welsh, Scots, N. Irish and Irish are, except when they can don their England shirts and getted p*ssed at the boozer, we do lack class at times.

M
love it love it

Badge

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:31 am
Merlot

love it love it

Badge
Hand on heart I have called the Australians "Uncultured" more than once but I am eating my words, the uncultured are just about everywhere back in England.

Don't mean to sound snobby.

M

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:56 am
Badge

Hand on heart I have called the Australians "Uncultured" more than once but I am eating my words, the uncultured are just about everywhere back in England.

Don't mean to sound snobby.

M
And everywhere you go you can meet fantastic dynamic people all over the world.

bm

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

It never ceases to amaze me generally how well travelled and influential Australians can be, given half the chance - an Australian pops up in most places. The ones that travel that is, not all do, just like alot of people.
I think anyone who has travelled (and not just stayed in the hotel complex and tourist areas) are usually friendly, open minded and often interesting to be around. I find anyone who just lives in the same area, go to the same pubs, and sit and watch all the soaps all the night are sooooooooooooooooo booooooring that 5 mins is all I can deal with as well as the ones who moan and crititisise and tell eveyone how they should live their lives and bitch behind peoples back rather than have the balls to say it to the persons face.......should all be shot.......that sorts out a very high percentage of UK.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:55 pm
Merlot

And everywhere you go you can meet fantastic dynamic people all over the world.

bm
Very true.

Merlot

Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Badge
There are insular types but by no means the worst but thats a matter of opinion. The British also have a habit of wanting to get out of the country a lot. The insular Brits go to Ibiza and Benidorm and the Aussies go to the Gold Coast or Bali. Same crap really. As for football wearing to types I am sure those wearing the Wallabies and cricket tops at Gallipoli fill the diggers hearts with pride. The backpackers antics at Gallipoli would seem more at home in the bars of San Antonio than at a dignified occasion.

Maybe moving country makes people not see the new societies equivalents.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:15 am

M
There seems to be a resurgence in celebrating St Georges Day. Isn't St Patricks day international get drunk day?

Living life gloomily is a personal choice as is having gloomy friends. Maybe it really is grim ooop north.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:44 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by bondipom
There seems to be a resurgence in celebrating St Georges Day. Isn't St Patricks day international get drunk day?

Living life gloomily is a personal choice as is having gloomy friends. Maybe it really is grim ooop north.
St George's day is only used as a marketing ploy by pubs and the like for flogging beer or tacky flags without meaning. No ceremonies that I have seen up our way, maybe in the more qaint parts of England.

Yep but I have wonderful positive friends both here and around the globe. For those that we work with I am afraid we don't have that choice or even family to a certain degree. I am a Reiki Practitioner and meditate as much as I can which helps me keep more grounded and positive. Even then there are bad days.

I left the north 14 years ago as it was not my cup of tea, I am only back for a few years with family. By choice we would live elsewhere in the UK but what is the point of doing that and not being on the door step to enjoy the day to day things with them for the short time we are back. I found the NSW Central Coast not my cup of tea so when we go back that is not going to be home.

I love being so close to family, there are other good and not so good I could go through about the UK but what is the point, these are my personal gripes and I just try to get on with it now.

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:02 am

St George's day is only used as a marketing ploy by pubs and the like for flogging beer or tacky flags without meaning. No ceremonies that I have seen up our way, maybe in the more qaint parts of England.

Yep but I have wonderful positive friends both here and around the globe. For those that we work with I am afraid we don't have that choice or even family to a certain degree. I am a Reiki Practitioner and meditate as much as I can which helps me keep more grounded and positive. Even then there are bad days.

I left the north 14 years ago as it was not my cup of tea, I am only back for a few years with family. By choice we would live elsewhere in the UK but what is the point of doing that and not being on the door step to enjoy the day to day things with them for the short time we are back. I found the NSW Central Coast not my cup of tea so when we go back that is not going to be home.

I love being so close to family, there are other good and not so good I could go through about the UK but what is the point, these are my personal gripes and I just try to get on with it now.

M
Flag waving isn't my thing either. IMO most people want a day off rather than a national day. I am very wary of nationalism and the motives of some who promote it.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:50 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Union Jack sticker on my car and one on a t-shirt...just because I am proud of my country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.