UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

In regards to housing, I wasn't saying immediately get rid of all the old houses (not that that would be possible) because I know some people like them. However I suspect that the majority of people living in old victorian terraced or semi-detached houses do not especially love the external appearance of the house or the street they live in, but they bought the house because it's what was available and affordable.

I say that new developments of contemporary, well designed suburbs should be built to provide an alternative for those of us who like that.

That has happened here in Adelaide and now almost all new homes that are built (in new and existing suburbs) are stunning in appearance.

Having said that, if you've never seen a contemporary house, or a masterplanned suburb, then you would probably find it impossible to see the benefits because you wouldn't even know what they are.

To get a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, go to www.delfin.com.au and look at some of their recent developments.

I defy anyone to tell me they wouldn't like to live in such a place, and the simple reason is that they are planned from the outset to be fully self-contained, beautiful, safe, and highly functional communities. Generally most older suburbs in Britain never were planned that way.

I would love to see some of this in UK, either on greenfields sites or as regeneration projects on a large scale to replace existing areas that are run down. Obviously though that is extremely hard to do because it usually involves having to compulsorily aquire a lot of peoples homes.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
In regards to housing, I wasn't saying immediately get rid of all the old houses (not that that would be possible) because I know some people like them. However I suspect that the majority of people living in old victorian terraced or semi-detached houses do not especially love the external appearance of the house or the street they live in, but they bought the house because it's what was available and affordable.

I say that new developments of contemporary, well designed suburbs should be built to provide an alternative for those of us who like that.

That has happened here in Adelaide and now almost all new homes that are built (in new and existing suburbs) are stunning in appearance.

Having said that, if you've never seen a contemporary house, or a masterplanned suburb, then you would probably find it impossible to see the benefits because you wouldn't even know what they are.

To get a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, go to www.delfin.com.au and look at some of their recent developments.

I defy anyone to tell me they wouldn't like to live in such a place, and the simple reason is that they are planned from the outset to be fully self-contained, beautiful, safe, and highly functional communities. Generally most older suburbs in Britain never were planned that way.

I would love to see some of this in UK, either on greenfields sites or as regeneration projects on a large scale to replace existing areas that are run down. Obviously though that is extremely hard to do because it usually involves having to compulsorily aquire a lot of peoples homes.
Sorry Backagen, but I have to disagree with you.
I hate the plastic McMansion style complexes. I live in one here in Sydney. Neighbours rarely speak to each other. The buildings are of dubious quality, even though they look shiny and new. Everything feels "plastic" with no character or personality.

I find nothing more beautiful than a well kept street of old victorian houses. In fact it is my dream to live in one!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I hate the plastic McMansion style complexes. I live in one here in Sydney. Neighbours rarely speak to each other. The buildings are of dubious quality, even though they look shiny and new. Everything feels "plastic" with no character or personality.

I find nothing more beautiful than a well kept street of old victorian houses. In fact it is my dream to live in one!
Victorian houses are my favourite, I love the Victorian era and think that todays UK houses simply dont match up. You have the mix of a historical building and the beauty of the workmanship and ornate designs on the celings.

We lived in a Victorian conversion - house turned into flats, my god it was light, airy and spacious.

I also like Tudor buildings, just knowing that you are living in something so historical is incredible and to be honest, I dont think the new builds in the UK are much to shout about.

Completely agree with you Flea, Victorian houses are something quite special and certainly something to be looked after and preserved. They have stood the test of time and might not be cheap to heat etc, but if maintained are a good investment.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:00 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Backagen. Truly. I know exactly what you mean, and I know people who love to live in housing developments like that.

But it's just not for me.

Just as some people love to live in new houses and can hardly stand an older one. But we thought about it once and really tried to get around to it. We could see the pluses to it. Couldn't do it. Bought and enjoyed an 80 year old one with lots of signs of wear. And on a moderately busy street, which we liked because it was on the bus route, the snow was cleared quickly and there were always people around.

We didn't even lock our front door during the day, we knew our neighbours, and everyone had an eye out for everyone else.

We're all so different in what we want.

Bev
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting to hear everyones views, it all comes down to taste.

Personally I hate old fashioned houses and love modern contemporary ones. If some of them are of "dubious quality" so what? The external cladding is often rendered blueboard and that probably only has a lifespan of 20-30 years tops, but it's inexpensive so it can simply be replaced once it starts to look a bit weathered.

Anyway for those who like old style architecture that's absolutely fine. I appreciate some old buildings from a historical perspective, but would not choose to live in one, given the choice of that or a brand new home.

New houses also have a lot of practical benefits. For example you can choose to have ducted vaccuuming, ducted air-con, under-floor heating, and wireless networked internet installed throughout the home, and this would be next to impossible in an existing house, especially one with thick walls covered in solid plaster.

But it's not just the houses themselves I like, but rather the whole concept of a masterplanned community that is fully integrated and beautifully landscaped.

Anyway this is getting a bit off-topic because the topic is about how to improve peoples perception of Britain and this was only one of the things on my list.

As for the national holiday, I agree "UK Day" doesn't really tug at the heart-strings, so how about "Celebrate Britain Day"?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:18 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

For what it’s worth we live in a five year old house in a sort-of British type estate.

The finish is not good and there are lots of cut corners but we think that is just typical NZ attitude. The worst thing is there is little insulation in winter and it is damp inside so considering we get about 5 months of heavy rain in winter it sucks.

I have some kit set-up in the garage and it is too cold to go in there, in fact is has only got bearable in the past two weeks.

I think the modern houses are less spacious and inferior quality. My preference would be to get an old fixer-upper in the UK and then modernise the interior etc that way you get the bet of both.

My dream house would be made of stone.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I have to say I'm very very surprised by the number of people on here who seem to prefer old houses to new. That's ok though, as I said it's just a matter of personal preference.

Personally I think the abundance of modern contemporary homes, and the growing number of masterplanned suburbs is one of the major things about Australia that I much prefer to UK.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:21 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say I'm very very surprised by the number of people on here who seem to prefer old houses to new. That's ok though, as I said it's just a matter of personal preference.

Personally I think the abundance of modern contemporary homes, and the growing number of masterplanned suburbs is one of the major things about Australia that I much prefer to UK.
The masterplanned suburbs here are awful. Big house on big blocks and little else especially character.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I defy you then It would be my horror to live in such an area, in a modern Delfin type house. I consider this sort of thing souless but for all of those people who want that in their lives, it's great. Just as old style communities and housing is great for everyone else. That sort of thing is not going to make the slightest difference to how people perceive Britain. It's a mindset thing, not a property thing.

For what it's worth, I love Britain and loved my life there. I didn't run from the UK, I moved to Aus for a change and love it here. What people consider negatives in the UK, I either don't see them at all or don't see them as negatives. (However on my last visit back I was very conscious of the narrow roads and stupidly narrow parking places).
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

I agree completely, houses in UK are far superior to the one i live in (and the rest of the suburbs i have seen).
I live in a shack on a giant sand pit, need i say more.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold

All developed countries have their positive points-here are a few of Britain's:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3661080.ece

http://www.beautifulengland.net/

http://www.goodthingsaboutbritain.co.uk/

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...st_of_britain/

http://www.pbase.com/pdenby/england

http://www.enjoyengland.com/

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

http://truthsandhalftruths.typepad.c...things_i_.html

http://enjoyengland.typepad.com/enjo...laces-t-1.html

http://www.webritish.co.uk/achievements.asp

http://www.squidoo.com/visiting-wales

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/..._cid=rss_world

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/visi...lparksweek.htm

Check out these sites for a decent overview of pleasant aspects of Britain.

Last edited by zerohero; Oct 13th 2008 at 9:20 am. Reason: mistake
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
The masterplanned suburbs here are awful. Big house on big blocks and little else especially character.
That's not what I meant by a masterplanned suburb! A masterplanned suburb includes integrated community facilities, sports venues, parks and gardens, shopping, restaurants, usually bike paths / walking trails, lakes and ponds, churches, schools and often other facilities. The best ones are located close to a major source of jobs so that a lot of the people living in the masterplanned suburb can also work there, and thus walk / cycle to work (reducing traffic).

Anyway I've said enough about new houses and suburbs now, my point is that a lot of people DO like them (obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular in Australia) and they are very hard if not impossible to find in Britain. My point is that there should be SOME such places, for those who like them because for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) the lack of modern homes and masterplanned suburbs is a major thing putting me off moving back home.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:23 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

it sounds a bit "stepford wives"
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not what I meant by a masterplanned suburb! A masterplanned suburb includes integrated community facilities, sports venues, parks and gardens, shopping, restaurants, usually bike paths / walking trails, lakes and ponds, churches, schools and often other facilities. The best ones are located close to a major source of jobs so that a lot of the people living in the masterplanned suburb can also work there, and thus walk / cycle to work (reducing traffic).

Anyway I've said enough about new houses and suburbs now, my point is that a lot of people DO like them (obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular in Australia) and they are very hard if not impossible to find in Britain. My point is that there should be SOME such places, for those who like them because for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) the lack of modern homes and masterplanned suburbs is a major thing putting me off moving back home.
Lol I am an urban planner. Wasn't saying they weren't popular, still don't have to agree though.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

No you don't have to agree. Maybe this debate belongs on another thread though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.