UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:24 pm

Hertford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Old post: Edited by Dad

After a little talk with Dad. I have realized that I have exaggerated quite a bit unfairly on my situation. Dad has helped me to identify and modify these points so they are more accurate.

Old post: Exactly. My parents think all of England is "going to pot", basically because house prices are falling and that most things are more expensive there than in BC.
Edited by Dad: We don't actually think England is going to pot basically because hose prices are falling and that most things are more expensive there than in Canada. House prices can rise or fall anywhere. When we left England four years ago we couldn't imagine our children ever being able to afford their own house. With recent events, primarily in the USA, it seems the housing price 'bubble' may have burst, and our children have some kind of hope of one day being able to afford their own house. In Canada, we were able to purchase a similar sized, and nicely located home for half the price we were able to sell our English home for.
The main reason we moved to Canada was because we have lived here before our children were born, and we decided that Sidney, British Columbia was a terrific place to raise our children. We could do nothing about the constant bullying that occurred in the schools in England and the teachers seemed unable to control it.
School in Canada - where our children go - seems to be a much friendlier environment. Even the teachers are much more approachable and are less aloof. Teachers and students here are more like friends together.

My Old post: but my parents always discuss the bad things about England and refuse to even hear any good things about England.

Edited by Dad: Mum and Dad don't discuss England much at all. They prefer not to think of England as good or bad, but as somewhere we used to live. They certainly have never refused to hear anything good about England. There are some things Dad misses, e.g: BBC TV, Country pubs and beer, but mostly relatives, and some things Mum misses, e.g: mainly relatives, but with our trips back to England, which can last up to seven weeks, we get to see relatives and friends probably as much as we did when we lived there. Things they don't miss, for example, are too many cars for the available parking spaces, (Near London where we used to live) high property prices and taxes, long waits at the doctors/hospitals, and the lack of exciting things to do locally. We can drive to ski slopes/mountains, five minute drive to launch the boat, and explore the pacific gulf islands, five minutes to a good swimming pool/ice rink, more regional camping parks than you can shake a stick at, and a ten minute walk to the seafront where you may see Sea Lions, many starfish, and maybe killer/orca whales and harbour dolphins.
On a Sunday, you can see many sailboats competing in regattas, with a backdrop of snow-covered Mt. Baker in the distance. Summers here are long and sunny, we hardly ever get any snow in the winter, and the weather is rather predictable. Dad says he only has to cut the grass two or three times a year because there is not much rain in the summer. When it does rain, it's usually at night.

http://www.explorevancouverisland.co..._Island_BC.htm
This is where we live, Dad says it's paradise.

From old post
As they say: "You never know what you've got 'till it's gone", and I quite agree with that. I thought that Canada would be something similar to England, with similar food and at least an accessible transport network, but I found almost the complete opposite when I arrived.

Edited by Dad: Where we live in Canada, we have an international airport, less than a ten minute drive away, we have one of the best ferry services in the world, one is a twenty minute walk to get a ferry to the USA, and another is a ten minute drive to get a ferry to Vancouver. We can also drive into Victoria, which is a half-hour drive, to get on another ferry to the USA if we ever wanted to. The regular bus service here is every fifteen minutes at peak times, which will take us as far as Downtown Victoria, or anywhere between for $2.25 adult fare, and $1.40 for a student fare. On our trip to England, we needed to get a bus in our old hometown and the fare was 1 pound and 40 pence for a five minute bus ride. Trains are even more expensive.

From old post:
I expected lovely Waffles and Beans for dinner that night when I arrived in Canada all the way back in 2004, but I found there are no Waffles and the beans here are absolutely disgusting!!! For the last year and a half now I have had to import 24 tins of Baked Beans at a time!!!

Edited by Dad: The food here is a little different than what the family are used to. e.g: Heinz Baked Beans have a different sauce and if you're not careful, you may pick up one of the several varieties of Heinz beans which you don't get in England. Potato waffles we haven't seen anywhere. Because Harry was so used to the English beans, I decided to surprise him with a whole case-load of Heinz baked beans which are available here at some shops who import specialty foods. They cost about $47 for 24 tins. Other foods we missed such as Walkers Crisps, we have also bought from these shops, and last Easter we imported a large hamper of English food from the british corner shop website as a special treat.

From old post
I think England/UK is extremely underrated, and it's high time we did something about it! But what am I doing? I'm sitting here at school in the library typing this when I should be doing something! Starting next week, I will have a job, and I'm going to save up $4,000/£2,000 so I can either come to England on my own for a holiday or for an exchange trip. I don't care what it takes! I'm coming home!!!
I'm one of the few extremely patriotic Englishmen around!!!

Edited by Dad: If Harry was in England, he probably wouldn't have the opportunity to use the internet during school time. In two years time he will be 18, and will be able to return to England to live and work. Then, after a while, he will be able to make an adult decision on where he would like to live.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Old post: Edited by Dad

Originally Posted by Hertford
After a little talk with Dad. I have realized that I have exaggerated quite a bit unfairly on my situation. Dad has helped me to identify and modify these points so they are more accurate.

Old post: Exactly. My parents think all of England is "going to pot", basically because house prices are falling and that most things are more expensive there than in BC.
Edited by Dad: We don't actually think England is going to pot basically because hose prices are falling and that most things are more expensive there than in Canada. House prices can rise or fall anywhere. When we left England four years ago we couldn't imagine our children ever being able to afford their own house. With recent events, primarily in the USA, it seems the housing price 'bubble' may have burst, and our children have some kind of hope of one day being able to afford their own house. In Canada, we were able to purchase a similar sized, and nicely located home for half the price we were able to sell our English home for.
The main reason we moved to Canada was because we have lived here before our children were born, and we decided that Sidney, British Columbia was a terrific place to raise our children. We could do nothing about the constant bullying that occurred in the schools in England and the teachers seemed unable to control it.
School in Canada - where our children go - seems to be a much friendlier environment. Even the teachers are much more approachable and are less aloof. Teachers and students here are more like friends together.

My Old post: but my parents always discuss the bad things about England and refuse to even hear any good things about England.

Edited by Dad: Mum and Dad don't discuss England much at all. They prefer not to think of England as good or bad, but as somewhere we used to live. They certainly have never refused to hear anything good about England. There are some things Dad misses, e.g: BBC TV, Country pubs and beer, but mostly relatives, and some things Mum misses, e.g: mainly relatives, but with our trips back to England, which can last up to seven weeks, we get to see relatives and friends probably as much as we did when we lived there. Things they don't miss, for example, are too many cars for the available parking spaces, (Near London where we used to live) high property prices and taxes, long waits at the doctors/hospitals, and the lack of exciting things to do locally. We can drive to ski slopes/mountains, five minute drive to launch the boat, and explore the pacific gulf islands, five minutes to a good swimming pool/ice rink, more regional camping parks than you can shake a stick at, and a ten minute walk to the seafront where you may see Sea Lions, many starfish, and maybe killer/orca whales and harbour dolphins.
On a Sunday, you can see many sailboats competing in regattas, with a backdrop of snow-covered Mt. Baker in the distance. Summers here are long and sunny, we hardly ever get any snow in the winter, and the weather is rather predictable. Dad says he only has to cut the grass two or three times a year because there is not much rain in the summer. When it does rain, it's usually at night.

http://www.explorevancouverisland.co..._Island_BC.htm
This is where we live, Dad says it's paradise.

From old post
As they say: "You never know what you've got 'till it's gone", and I quite agree with that. I thought that Canada would be something similar to England, with similar food and at least an accessible transport network, but I found almost the complete opposite when I arrived.

Edited by Dad: Where we live in Canada, we have an international airport, less than a ten minute drive away, we have one of the best ferry services in the world, one is a twenty minute walk to get a ferry to the USA, and another is a ten minute drive to get a ferry to Vancouver. We can also drive into Victoria, which is a half-hour drive, to get on another ferry to the USA if we ever wanted to. The regular bus service here is every fifteen minutes at peak times, which will take us as far as Downtown Victoria, or anywhere between for $2.25 adult fare, and $1.40 for a student fare. On our trip to England, we needed to get a bus in our old hometown and the fare was 1 pound and 40 pence for a five minute bus ride. Trains are even more expensive.

From old post:
I expected lovely Waffles and Beans for dinner that night when I arrived in Canada all the way back in 2004, but I found there are no Waffles and the beans here are absolutely disgusting!!! For the last year and a half now I have had to import 24 tins of Baked Beans at a time!!!

Edited by Dad: The food here is a little different than what the family are used to. e.g: Heinz Baked Beans have a different sauce and if you're not careful, you may pick up one of the several varieties of Heinz beans which you don't get in England. Potato waffles we haven't seen anywhere. Because Harry was so used to the English beans, I decided to surprise him with a whole case-load of Heinz baked beans which are available here at some shops who import specialty foods. They cost about $47 for 24 tins. Other foods we missed such as Walkers Crisps, we have also bought from these shops, and last Easter we imported a large hamper of English food from the british corner shop website as a special treat.

From old post
I think England/UK is extremely underrated, and it's high time we did something about it! But what am I doing? I'm sitting here at school in the library typing this when I should be doing something! Starting next week, I will have a job, and I'm going to save up $4,000/£2,000 so I can either come to England on my own for a holiday or for an exchange trip. I don't care what it takes! I'm coming home!!!
I'm one of the few extremely patriotic Englishmen around!!!

Edited by Dad: If Harry was in England, he probably wouldn't have the opportunity to use the internet during school time. In two years time he will be 18, and will be able to return to England to live and work. Then, after a while, he will be able to make an adult decision on where he would like to live.
Total respect for this post, for Harry and his Dad for helping him see things a little more clearly and in turn, help him see things from both sides.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:04 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

I agree. Good for you, Harry, taking your comments to your dad, and he sounds like a very level headed person.

We do all have different tastes, and many young people choose a life and location that's far from their parents. It sounds as if your parents will be fine with that, which will make your life a lot easier.

Bev
Old Oct 11th 2008, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I take immense pleasure in fighting my corner in the pommie bashing stakes.

I do take it in good humour but I have noticed that some of the Aussies are not so good in taking it and I can very successfully, tie them in knots in the discussion.

'We don't want your bloody flag or you bloody Queen' was the last comment from a guy at work.

'Take your stars off our flag - they look stupid and go and design your own' I replied - this is a weekly event and I fight the corner for the UK and very well I might add I can argue the legs off a donkey and I always win this one. (it never gets nasty, more like a frustrated toddler that can't get his own way)

However on a more serious note, I do like the pride that Australians are ALLOWED to have in their country without being accused of racism.

Perhaps it is because it is so far the other way in the United Kingdom that it makes us feel uncomfortable when we hear it here.

Mr PP was shocked at the level of patriotism at the Royal Show, in his time in England he never witnessed it on such scale and he said to me 'Why can't it be like that in England?'

We should be allowed to fly our flags with pride, celebrate our traditions such as Christmas and NO it is NOT 'Winterville' or whatever shit the PC brigade have chosen to call it.

We should be able to eat what we want without fear of offending ethnic minorities.

Children in schools should adhere to the school uniforms and not be allowed to deviate away from that no matter what their ethnic background.

Anyone who finds Western/English traditions and culture offensive does not have to put up with that - leave, go and live somewhere where the chosen culture can be embraced.

Reversed racism needs to be stopped now. Why is it that a group of religious extremists were allowed to burn our flag yet if we burnt theirs we would be arrested?

Bring the power back to the United Kingdom, allow people to celebrate being British, enjoy the culture that is slowly being diluted to a mish mash of other cultures where the scales of justice tip in their favour.

Allow people to have the freedom to wave their Union Jacks with pride, prosecute and charge those that are a threat to British Society, stop protecting anyone that threatens the safety of our Island, revoke the citizenship of ANYONE that deserves it.

The United Kingdom is indeed a great country - but the government needs to grow a set of balls and stand up to anyone that opposes good old fashion discipline, to religious groups that want to change our society and most of all, completely review the legal system and laws of punishment.

The United Kingdom may well have lost its way a little bit, but I never lose hope that one day it will no longer be scared to be the finest thing ever - British.
Perfect
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
There are less non brits in the UK per population than in a country like Australia which has a far higher percentage of Non australians per population.

Australia is portrayed as having a lot of pride.....so how does your theory work?
And whilst on the vague subject, if you are now all saying it's a shame Britons don't have enough pride in their country (generalisation alert), why is it that the most constant complaint about Australia on this forum is the Australian peoples positive attitude to their country? You (general) knock them for loving their country and attempt to tell them they are misguided and why, but as soon as someone says something negative about the UK you stand up and punch them down. Doesn't sound particularly fair from the point of view of someone who adores Britain and loves living in Aus.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:01 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
And whilst on the vague subject, if you are now all saying it's a shame Britons don't have enough pride in their country (generalisation alert), why is it that the most constant complaint about Australia on this forum is the Australian peoples positive attitude to their country? You (general) knock them for loving their country and attempt to tell them they are misguided and why, but as soon as someone says something negative about the UK you stand up and punch them down. Doesn't sound particularly fair from the point of view of someone who adores Britain and loves living in Aus.

I would say the difference is that Australians are encouraged to be patriotic towards their country whilst in the UK everything is moving away from being British as it may offend minority groups and BRITISH are not ALLOWED to be BRITISH.

I recently heard that they are trying to encourage that Islam will be taught in the UK schools whilst Christmas is not allowed. I think that says it all.

Mostly the Australian attitude towards immigrants is that if you want to live in Australia embrace what the countries has to offer - full stop. You have no doubt heard the “f$#k off we’re full”.

How can being British mean anything in Britain if you are not ALLOWED to practice that which has been BRITISH for centuries just because it offends a few?

I would also say that the Brits ( going back a few decades) were quietly confident rather than brash and in your face so a lot of it is most likely cultural difference.

Ultimately moving from Britain to Australia ( or anywhere else) is a process and host countries would be wise to encourage such processes rather than expect immediate conversion.

Of course the other option is to get the politicians to change all your traditions and cultures to suit the minority groups that are most probably political or any other sort of refugee / asylum that Britain seems to end up with.

By comparison and probably most important is to recognise and acknowledge that Australian immigration policies are strict and usually those qualifying to enter Australia are skilled workers that Australia needs. So whilst there are two parties involved – the host and the guest both parties need to exercise respect. This is typically known as a win / win.

So yes, life is certainly not fair
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
I recently heard that they are trying to encourage that Islam will be taught in the UK schools whilst Christmas is not allowed. I think that says it all.

Where did you hear that?

It is simply untrue and seems like the typical propaganda put about by the likes of the Daily mail.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 6:49 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20

here, here. negative posts about oz or the uk are pointless. looking at the positive things about the uk thread made me smile. i am happy in oz but read some of those posts and suddenly felt like a pint in a nice english pub!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

well i worked in a school in oxford 5 years ago that was not allowed to do a nativity play incase it up set the multi cultural parents!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 8:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
well i worked in a school in oxford 5 years ago that was not allowed to do a nativity play incase it up set the multi cultural parents!!!!!!!!!!!
Unbelievable. Trouble is, it is the local councils that put these rules in place, chances are noone would have complained anyway.

And tough if they did
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

i agree...its like local council jobs in oxford white people have to go on racisum courses ...but not the other way around ...unbelievable...that they think racisum is one way only ...
Old Oct 11th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

and the thing is I bet most parents from other cultures wouldn't be offended anyway by the nativity or any other fairy stories
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Unbelievable. Trouble is, it is the local councils that put these rules in place, chances are noone would have complained anyway.

And tough if they did
That is not council policy in Oxford and never has been.

This was either a head teacher's decision or pure bullshit.

G
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:10 am
Bitter and twisted

Which school was that then?

I know Oxford well. PM me if you like and I will check up on it.

G
Old Oct 11th 2008, 10:11 am
Bitter and twisted

i agree...its like local council jobs in oxford white people have to go on racisum courses ...but not the other way around ...unbelievable...that they think racisum is one way only ...
I think you are exaggerating.

Which council in Oxford?

G

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 11th 2008 at 10:16 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.