UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Brits are selfish. They don't know what a good thing they have, until it's gone.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:54 am
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Okay, I am going to try this, Here is ten reasons that I believe Britain is STILL Great Britain

1. Driving standards are very high and roads are good
2. Houses are well built & good quality
3. The British sense of humour is probably the best in the world
4. Beer & pubs
5. The history
6. The countryside
7. Public transport
8. NHS (go on laugh)
9. Television – BBC productions are some of the BEST
10. Innovations that lead the world
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
Okay, I am going to try this, Here is ten reasons that I believe Britain is STILL Great Britain

1. Driving standards are very high and roads are good
2. Houses are well built & good quality
3. The British sense of humour is probably the best in the world
4. Beer & pubs
5. The history
6. The countryside
7. Public transport
8. NHS (go on laugh)
9. Television – BBC productions are some of the BEST
10. Innovations that lead the world
I agree with all of those, problem is alot us take the piss out of them while we live there. We then appreciate it all once it's gone.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I agree with all of those, problem is alot us take the piss out of them while we live there. We then appreciate it all once it's gone.
So so true Rach

After they saved my life recently, I swear i will NEVER slag off the NHS again.

Yes, they have their problems, but believe me, they do here too!! My husband can vouch for that very recently!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

And I will never complain about paying my TV licence again - TV may be free over here but it's drivel!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:32 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Around 5 years ago my sort of work partner (building) was leaving for Spain and he always said how much he hated Britain and that it was going to the dog's. It got very heated between us and I would always defend Britain and always will. I also used to hear customers moan about Britain and again would be quick to fire up. I have moved to Australia and I actually do like the fact the Aussies have pride in their country, it can wear a bit thin what with "proudly made in Australia" e.t.c everywhere but surely that is better than the constant doom & gloomers you meet in the U.K. I honestly believe the U.K has lost it's way big time, I mean what do most people see the U.K as? We have lost our way and pander to the needs of every other culture or minority group while eroding Britishness. Many , many people want to leave the U.K and this may be misguided views but it must tell us something. Please don't think I am attacking Britain because I am not, it will always be my home but it really has lost it's way, if a cabbie flys a flag during the world cup he /she is told off, I mean come on where are people going to get inspired and patriotic with this sort of stuff going on.

A very proud Brit
Are you sure that this is not the sort of falsehoods that the media like to portray and blow out of all proportion to sell their papers?

Did all the taxi's in the UK get told not to fly a flag or was it an isolated one-off incident by an over-zealous local authority officer?

What is the pandering that is being done that erodes Britishness and who is doing it?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Livermanl,

Oz, US and Canada are very different from where I am. For me, its a small minded country that won't think outside the box.

Its a very frustrating country. Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, but I haven't seen any changes for the better. They adopt the laws they want to, but forget about the rest.

What country's president would pardon a lawyer who was convicted of drunk driving with no license, insurance or tax? Cyprus

What country with a water shortage wouldn't put a hose pipe ban in place? Cyprus

What country knowingly allows the sale of properties that are illegally built? Cyprus

I could fill about 10 pages, but I won't bore you!!
sounds similar to Italy - lol .
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:47 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
sounds similar to Italy - lol .
and Spain
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Honest H....yes i do love it know ..it took me a year to settle ...but know i dont want to go back to uk....(maybe not ever)...just we have a much better quality of family life here.....and as u know we have a house on the other side of cyprus which we love .....and only 3 hours from here and same from uk so makes travelin easier xxxx...........my dh loved uae from the minute he got here and so did my kiddies ......i nearly had a nervous breakdown in the first year(left 2 boys in uk...my mum died just b4 we left..leavin my dad alone)....it was a very hard time ...but i/we slogged it out and here we are 4 years later....i beleive in supporting my families happiness....and i am now soooo glad we made it ......anyone havin a hard time i say ......try stick with it xxxxxx
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Are you sure that this is not the sort of falsehoods that the media like to portray and blow out of all proportion to sell their papers?

Did all the taxi's in the UK get told not to fly a flag or was it an isolated one-off incident by an over-zealous local authority officer?

What is the pandering that is being done that erodes Britishness and who is doing it?
Hi there.

Yes I think that the papers have a lot to do with it but I worked in say 3/4 different peoples houses each and every week and the majority are not happy. They will talk quite openly to a stranger, i.e me about the U.K e.t.c. I very rarely bought or read a paper although I would listen to the radio so was in touch, all I am saying is if people feel bad about Britain then something is not right and the surely they are not all wrong. The other thing is someone working with the same people day in day out in a limited environment will not maybe know how people on "the street " really feel. Again the people may be wrong or misguided but the fact they feel that way for me speaks volumes. I do not hear the same negativity here in Oz although of course there is some.

The flag flying happened in my town during the world cup and there were other articles in the news, I am not going to start a debate that always ends up heated on here as it is the MBTTUK forum and as I said I am a proud Brit who will be back there at some point. What people lack in the U.K is backbone and the sort of srong resolve it used to have and pride as a nation.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Do u think the lack of pride etc is because there are soooooooo many non brits there anymore?????
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
Do u think the lack of pride etc is because there are soooooooo many non brits there anymore?????
There are less non brits in the UK per population than in a country like Australia which has a far higher percentage of Non australians per population.

Australia is portrayed as having a lot of pride.....so how does your theory work?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:09 pm
Brummie

andyvilla will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

it depends on what you use to define underrated - if you need everything big and loud and spacious then you may find it underrated - it is filled with layer upon layer of history and culture from the iceni to the modern era - there is beautifull groomed countryside - not rough and untamed - architecture from every era left going back to 3000 bc . If you are comparing culture and history and modern technology and ideas then the other countries pale in comparison and are boring - Ive been to japan and the japs love their country even though it was beaten thoroughly in the second world war. If you compare the uk to what it was 60 years ago and beyond then you are going to be hard on it as it has little possessions as it once had - the debate can go on - though I love the place and always have
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:50 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I take immense pleasure in fighting my corner in the pommie bashing stakes.

I do take it in good humour but I have noticed that some of the Aussies are not so good in taking it and I can very successfully, tie them in knots in the discussion.

'We don't want your bloody flag or you bloody Queen' was the last comment from a guy at work.

'Take your stars off our flag - they look stupid and go and design your own' I replied - this is a weekly event and I fight the corner for the UK and very well I might add I can argue the legs off a donkey and I always win this one. (it never gets nasty, more like a frustrated toddler that can't get his own way)

However on a more serious note, I do like the pride that Australians are ALLOWED to have in their country without being accused of racism.

Perhaps it is because it is so far the other way in the United Kingdom that it makes us feel uncomfortable when we hear it here.

Mr PP was shocked at the level of patriotism at the Royal Show, in his time in England he never witnessed it on such scale and he said to me 'Why can't it be like that in England?'

We should be allowed to fly our flags with pride, celebrate our traditions such as Christmas and NO it is NOT 'Winterville' or whatever shit the PC brigade have chosen to call it.

We should be able to eat what we want without fear of offending ethnic minorities.

Children in schools should adhere to the school uniforms and not be allowed to deviate away from that no matter what their ethnic background.

Anyone who finds Western/English traditions and culture offensive does not have to put up with that - leave, go and live somewhere where the chosen culture can be embraced.

Reversed racism needs to be stopped now. Why is it that a group of religious extremists were allowed to burn our flag yet if we burnt theirs we would be arrested?

Bring the power back to the United Kingdom, allow people to celebrate being British, enjoy the culture that is slowly being diluted to a mish mash of other cultures where the scales of justice tip in their favour.

Allow people to have the freedom to wave their Union Jacks with pride, prosecute and charge those that are a threat to British Society, stop protecting anyone that threatens the safety of our Island, revoke the citizenship of ANYONE that deserves it.

The United Kingdom is indeed a great country - but the government needs to grow a set of balls and stand up to anyone that opposes good old fashion discipline, to religious groups that want to change our society and most of all, completely review the legal system and laws of punishment.

The United Kingdom may well have lost its way a little bit, but I never lose hope that one day it will no longer be scared to be the finest thing ever - British.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 7:35 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.