UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

camponotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Does anyone agree that it's become almost a bit daring to suggest that, whilst you love Australia, Canada, America or wherever it is you think you like the UK better?

It's become the established, accepted view that the UK is basically crap and if you've got the opportunity to live elsewhere then you should seize it with both hands. I think that this is especially true when the comparison being made is UK to Australia, because the Australians don't really respect the British and the UK in the same way that the North Americans do. Obviously that's my opinion but I think I have a fair point. They tend to assume that Australia is, well, perfect and has everything you could ever want whereas the Americans and Canadians, whilst they are generally patriotic and proud of their respective countries, can usually see the charm and beauty of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I sometimes think that perhaps the Australians NEED to believe that Australia is great cos they're such a long way from anywhere else and they have a bit of an inferiority complex based on their history as a penal colony and relative lack of cultural contribution.

In general though I find that when you say 'actually, do you know what, I really miss the UK and I think I prefer it's country pubs, old buildings, humour and easy access to genuine diversity' people act like you're a bit nuts, like you've merely forgotten that the UK is crap. After all, everybody knows that, don't they? My Australian wife can't help but rush to the defense of Australia if I do so much as suggest that the Radio stations are better in the UK (which they clearly are).

Do the Aussies not see how tiring their relentless defense of Australia gets?

The Brits need to learn to be as proud of the UK as all these other countries are of themselves. We need to be prepared to defend the UK rather than mindlessly agreeing with every negative stereotype and generalisation that gets bandied about.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Good point!

I have an Aussie DH who cannot bear to think that I think the bush is boring (mile after mile after mile of eucalypt - probably different eucalypts but hey, who the hell can tell?)

I have been thinking about this - I think it is the cultural cringe. The once proud, once dominant UK with colonies all over the place etc has been so bashed and berated by pretty much everyone, especially those who look at history through today's glasses and make judgments about the morality and ethics of a bygone generation without being there and doing it themselves. It is that self flagellation which has driven UK into the dumps and it will take a concerted Be Proud Of Britain campaign to change the national psyche. Personally I think it can be done but it will take a charismatic leader to do it. It has to be done!!! Perhaps this is a job for returning expats who know what it is like to live in a culture that bullshits its way through (like the Australian one currently does) and who could give the UK some tips! Utopic Kingdom perhaps!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:18 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
Good point!

I have an Aussie DH who cannot bear to think that I think the bush is boring (mile after mile after mile of eucalypt - probably different eucalypts but hey, who the hell can tell?)

I have been thinking about this - I think it is the cultural cringe. The once proud, once dominant UK with colonies all over the place etc has been so bashed and berated by pretty much everyone, especially those who look at history through today's glasses and make judgments about the morality and ethics of a bygone generation without being there and doing it themselves. It is that self flagellation which has driven UK into the dumps and it will take a concerted Be Proud Of Britain campaign to change the national psyche. Personally I think it can be done but it will take a charismatic leader to do it. It has to be done!!! Perhaps this is a job for returning expats who know what it is like to live in a culture that bullshits its way through (like the Australian one currently does) and who could give the UK some tips! Utopic Kingdom perhaps!
I blame the press. And people who read it and think its 100% true.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:41 am
Account Closed

I actually think that the media does have a lot to do with it, yes. The Aussie media (both TV and Newspapers) are never afraid to 'promote' Australia and express pride regarding what they consider to be Australia's beautiful cities and supposedly laid-back way of life. They are even relatively gentle on the Australian politicians. The British media on the other hand is very quick to project headlines of 'THIRD WORLD BRITAIN!' (especially The Daily Mail) and moan about immigration and public services. They exaggerate these apparent flaws hugely and the Brits tend to be rather 'sheep-like' and go along with it. So we end up reaffirming the Australians' view that Australia is wonderful and Britain is a dump, neither of which is true at all.

I can show you beautiful places in Australia, but I can also show you some real holes that rival even the dingiest parts of the UK. Equally there are some wonderfully beautiful places in Britain that Australia couldn't hope to compete with.

You can drive in the UK for an hour or two and experience dozens of very different views and scenery, whereas you can drive in Australia for days and see, well, an awful lot of basically nothing. The Aussies boast about Australia being big. Errr, so what?! Europe's big too and not just because it's full of barren land covered in dust.

The Aussies never make fair comparisons. Comparing Australia (which is a continent, not just a country) with the UK or even more unfairly England alone is ridiculous. Compare England with Victoria, or Scotland with Tasmania. That's more accurate and fair. Or better still, compare Australia with Europe. However, I suspect the Aussies would never do that cos they know full well who'd come out on top....and it wouldn't be them!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

I get that totally I feel worn down with defending our decision about moving back to the Uk, Its very hard dealing with all the negative stuff and everyone saying why would you want to leave here its so great etc etc. Well I do want to go back , its my life and I dont really want their opinions just suppor its a stressful thing to do anyway. I always love going back to the Uk there is lots to be proud of there I will keep telling everyone when I get back
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:24 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Good point!

What you say is so true. Not a week went by in UK without somoene slating it off and denegrating it to me. I have made it my personal campaign to enlighten these people. I refuse to tolerate their remarks without putting them straight!! If i am given more than 5 minutes to convince them by extolling the virtues of the UK and telling them of the differences and comparisons of other countries I can usually convince them to shut the hell up and get over it... pmsl
Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to truly appreciate what you have in your own country....is to go and live in someone else's..
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I blame the press. And people who read it and think its 100% true.
Ah, you've met my parents then!

To be fair they did say on my last visit that over the last couple of years they have changed their opinion on the UK and Oz because of the things I've said.
Which was akin to George Bush joining the League of Men Supporting Atheist Lesbian Single Mothers Against the Bomb
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

When the Australians express 'national pride' (which superficially and taken by itself is fair enough) they often can't resist the urge to do so by adding a little bit of a put-down of somewhere else at the same time, especially Britain of course.

The irony for me is that there are so many Australians who are essentially every bit as British as bangers and mash but they are desperate, and I don't use that word accidentally, to consider themselves different. I don't believe that the Brits have a chip on their shoulder, I think it's the Aussies. They don't have a firm enough national identity as a result of their history and development so they are constantly trying to manufacture one and shove it down everyone elses' throats while they're at it.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
The only way to truly appreciate what you have in your own country....is to go and live in someone else's..
Merseygirl, absolutely! Couldn't agree more.

I know that Aussie's jump to the defense of their country everytime someone has a go (not that I live there-just going on what I've read here), BUT, its very patriotic, its a shame that Brits didn't do the same.

I'm trying to change the way some of my friends think. When we told them we were coming back all we heard was "why do you want to come back to this dump". If they think its that bad, why aren't they moving.

So united we should stand. Up the Brits, horra!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Merseygirl, absolutely! Couldn't agree more.

I know that Aussie's jump to the defense of their country everytime someone has a go (not that I live there-just going on what I've read here), BUT, its very patriotic, its a shame that Brits didn't do the same.

I'm trying to change the way some of my friends think. When we told them we were coming back all we heard was "why do you want to come back to this dump". If they think its that bad, why aren't they moving.

So united we should stand. Up the Brits, horra!!
I must admit since I've been back I've been trying my best to be a bit of a cheerleader for this little place and I've said to several people how come you're still here if you hate it that much, once you say that most people admit that their life here isn't so bad.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I must admit since I've been back I've been trying my best to be a bit of a cheerleader for this little place and I've said to several people how come you're still here if you hate it that much, once you say that most people admit that their life here isn't so bad.
Elaine,

Good to hear that. We should start our own NI crusade!!

Hope your still getting on OK. I can't wait to be back.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Elaine,

Good to hear that. We should start our own NI crusade!!

Hope your still getting on OK. I can't wait to be back.
Maybe I'll look for a job with the NI Tourist board!!

It really is great being back, no regrets what so ever
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Maybe I'll look for a job with the NI Tourist board!!

It really is great being back, no regrets what so ever
Fantastic. Hope you'll still be on here in six months, I might need a bit of advise, encouragement, help, kick up the backside etc etc!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fantastic. Hope you'll still be on here in six months, I might need a bit of advise, encouragement, help, kick up the backside etc etc!!
Oh I'm sure I'll still be hanging around, just ask and I'll try and help if I can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.