Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Time to ask for the Union-Jack back.

Time to ask for the Union-Jack back.

Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Time to ask for the Union-Jack back.

Originally Posted by alicecat
I think they just want the extra holiday. I remember telling my mother I still believed in Santa Claus so I could get the extra presents.
hahahahahahahahahah!!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I started posting in here ages ago as I lived overseas twice before and moved back to the UK so can offer experience of moving back. I am very happy here but I am not of the UK is crap, australia is wonderful brigade. I came to Australia because I could, not because I was escaping the UK The village where I grew up in Lancashire is a beautiful place but has problems and there are problems here in Perth that are pretty much the same.

I have had a lovely morning, been down to Cottesloe for morning tea. English breakfast tea and some beautiful sandwiches and cakes. Very english it was too. People can come on here and still have a life you know. Does that mean that once you have moved back that we won't hear from you again.
Yep, a bit like Dunroving and Flea who have done a few different moves back and forth (sometimes sideways LOL!). I think it's great to get input from people who have been there and worn the tshirt.

NB - do you move around with OH's job or did you go back to UK twice previously due to homesickness? Wondering if you are ping ponger or just like living in different places?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Yep, a bit like Dunroving and Flea who have done a few different moves back and forth (sometimes sideways LOL!). I think it's great to get input from people who have been there and worn the tshirt.

NB - do you move around with OH's job or did you go back to UK twice previously due to homesickness? Wondering if you are ping ponger or just like living in different places?
US - home was homesickness. Canada to home was job move and lack of PR status in Canada. Although the first 6 months in Canada were truly the worst time of my life, a trip home after 6 months cured my homesickness thankfully for me. Then the move to Perth was meant to be temporary until our Canadian PR came through. Perth is now home and we now have our PR too, only only 15 months before we are eligible to apply for citizenship.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
US - home was homesickness. Canada to home was job move and lack of PR status in Canada. Although the first 6 months in Canada were truly the worst time of my life, a trip home after 6 months cured my homesickness thankfully for me. Then the move to Perth was meant to be temporary until our Canadian PR came through. Perth is now home and we now have our PR too, only only 15 months before we are eligible to apply for citizenship.
Thanks for that NB. You must be so pleased to feel settled at last - the Perth move must have been "fate"! I'd love to give another country ago at some stage (masochistic tendencies you see ).
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:35 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by alicecat
Maybe the Aboriginal flag with the stars straight on it? However I still think the red white and blue need to be incorporated as it recognises the British history. Anyway I don't know why I am contributing as I don't believe in flags and nationalism!
Ha HA! I do know what you mean. Nationalism can cause no end of strife.
However I think the idea of stars straight on the aborginal flag yes, not bad, but I do agree about the red,white and blue too. Food for thought, I wonder how the average Aussie feels about it. I think I will go post on the OZ forum and see what happens.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:04 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Time to ask for the Union-Jack back.

Originally Posted by Thydney
Actually the aborigine never claim to 'own' the land.
Have they ever been formally asked? If they have, it seems not everyone is in agreement:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/2148354.htm

"What else can happen to Aboriginal people? I mean, you've taken our land. What else can you do to us?"
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Yeah, I guess breeding with Dingo's would improve the olfactory senses...
Originally Posted by jojosan
This isn't agreeing to disagree Vim, it's being presumptuous about, and insulting to, another poster.

Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Just a quick clarification, nothing more ... I don't exactly live in 'the bush', 40 minutes drive to the CBD is hardly cause for needing a GPS and extra water.
Oh when you are a city girl at heart....40 mins is the bush to me!!!!! and in the summer time no matter where I go I always take a bottle of water with me......