British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Mummy in the foothills Oct 5th 2013 7:26 am

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Well I feel like we are getting on with things.
Paperwork for customs came from the shippers today, all our household good should arrive in UK 10/10 :thumbsup: then no idea how long till we get it.
Car has been bought and will be ready for pick up Monday, we got a Fiat Panda, very basic, great on gas, cheap to insure. Would you believe I was only going to insure it for me (British license) when the agent said lets see what the cost would be to add Dh on his US license. I was thinking lots and lots of money, but the price was next to nothing more, they give a discount for adding a spouse :lol: So Dh has no excuse not to get a couple of lessons with the man who took me out when I arrived and get driving.
Looking at yet another house today for my Mum so we can have the bigger house to ourselves (well with all the kids) Looks good on paper and on the drive by, so far we are all leaning towards a small cottage in the same village as us for her. We'd drive past her every time we go out so it'd be easier to make sure she's OK.
Now all we need are jobs, I've applied for 4 with the NHS and also with three at Tesco, not heard anything yet.
Dh still waiting to get his NIN.

jasper123 Oct 5th 2013 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10931273)
Well I feel like we are getting on with things.
Paperwork for customs came from the shippers today, all our household good should arrive in UK 10/10 :thumbsup: then no idea how long till we get it.
Car has been bought and will be ready for pick up Monday, we got a Fiat Panda, very basic, great on gas, cheap to insure. Would you believe I was only going to insure it for me (British license) when the agent said lets see what the cost would be to add Dh on his US license. I was thinking lots and lots of money, but the price was next to nothing more, they give a discount for adding a spouse :lol: So Dh has no excuse not to get a couple of lessons with the man who took me out when I arrived and get driving.
Looking at yet another house today for my Mum so we can have the bigger house to ourselves (well with all the kids) Looks good on paper and on the drive by, so far we are all leaning towards a small cottage in the same village as us for her. We'd drive past her every time we go out so it'd be easier to make sure she's OK.
Now all we need are jobs, I've applied for 4 with the NHS and also with three at Tesco, not heard anything yet.
Dh still waiting to get his NIN.

Well Pauline it looks like you are getting it all together, good for you, and getting your husband on your car insurance at just a little more is a great deal, a couple of refresher lessons for him on the UK roads and he will be good to go!!!! and he can drive on his U.S. licence,

jasper123 Oct 5th 2013 10:11 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10929570)
My plan is to reduce the albums into a few only and combine the best of the best! I am going to spend the winter days sitting on the floor reminiscing, probably shed a few tears at those people who are no longer with us and then take the best ones out! The rest will be burnt because I would hate them to end up on a landfill forgotten! Oh I am a sentimental old f..rt

feelbritish yes it is so very hard to get rid of sentimental things, especially things that were given to you by your family or friends, I couldn't get rid of any of mine, but thankfully they were all small stuff that could fit in one of my 4 suitcases so it was easy, as for family pictures well I wanted to bring all of them home with me, sooooo many memories, so what I did was take all the pics out of the albums and there were many albums, but it reduced the weight and also the room needed in my suitcases, so when I came home I just bought more photo albums and carefully inserted every one of them, I also wanted to keep all my cd's and music dvd's and I had quite a lot, so I bought a big cd canvas case with a zipper and they all fitted nicely in it, and all compact, I love my music, they represent many years of collecting.
Rodney.

feelbritish Oct 6th 2013 12:46 am

Got some people looking at our skis and equipment now and I have just packed up 6 boxes of stuff for the garage sale - whenever we have it! :) I kept the tea set, but am getting rid of quite a lot of china from an aunt and have not touched the photos yet!

Celticspirit Oct 6th 2013 1:00 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10932141)
Got some people looking at our skis and equipment now and I have just packed up 6 boxes of stuff for the garage sale - whenever we have it! :) I kept the tea set, but am getting rid of quite a lot of china from an aunt and have not touched the photos yet!

You are lucky to be able to hold a garage sale......illegal in our homeowners association rules. Will be so happy to escape it. Open house next Sunday.....please pray for a quick sale.....leaving November sold or not.
I have had 16 years of extreme stress......I think the end is in sight.
I will take a loss on our house just to escape my terrible life.

Irish Guinness Oct 6th 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 10932146)
You are lucky to be able to hold a garage sale......illegal in our homeowners association rules. Will be so happy to escape it. Open house next Sunday.....please pray for a quick sale.....leaving November sold or not.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, hope the house sells before you leave will make it much easier all round.

Mummy in the foothills Oct 6th 2013 5:48 am

Some of them are so restrictive. Maybe find your local facebook sale pages and put pictures on there, we got rid of quite a lot that way.

HighCaper Oct 6th 2013 5:55 am

Hi Celticspirit, I have lived abroad for 23 years and the first 12 were ok but for the past 11 I have been dying to go home to Britain. I dont have family to return to but whenever I've gone home for a visit I feel like I'm a square peg fitting into a square hole. I was wondering how you managed 16 years of extreme stress, was it the place, people or something else ?

dontheturner Oct 6th 2013 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10932337)
Some of them are so restrictive. Maybe find your local facebook sale pages and put pictures on there, we got rid of quite a lot that way.

Hello Pauline,
Hope you are now settling in. If you should be comtemplating journeying east Don't you dare pass through Shropshire without calling! (Do a PM, and I will be waiting) Regards Don

Derrygal Oct 6th 2013 1:41 pm

Same here - I live in a condo. We aren't allow garage sales. Hope your house sells quickly and you manage to get home okay. All the best to you for your future back in N Ireland.:)

islandwoman120 Oct 6th 2013 3:45 pm

New read on the internet - http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013...ron-de-mauley/

feelbritish Oct 7th 2013 4:21 am

Just to say, don't just take "anything" to escape! Set your lowest price and stick with it! I can only imagine what it must be like for you, with the stress and unhappiness. I am also at that place but I now hold onto any hope that I will be out of here within the next year or so. Tonight it was thrown in my face that perhaps I would change my mind and stay here in Canada! After months of telling it how it is, he still thinks that maybe I will change my mind and want to stay! His words "perhaps you can go on a holiday and when you come back you would have got it out of your system" I sincerely hope that you sell quickly and I love it that you have set yourselves a time to leave! It will all work out in the end! :thumbsup:

Perth Oct 7th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 10933465)
Just to say, don't just take "anything" to escape! Set your lowest price and stick with it! I can only imagine what it must be like for you, with the stress and unhappiness. I am also at that place but I now hold onto any hope that I will be out of here within the next year or so. Tonight it was thrown in my face that perhaps I would change my mind and stay here in Canada! After months of telling it how it is, he still thinks that maybe I will change my mind and want to stay! His words "perhaps you can go on a holiday and when you come back you would have got it out of your system" I sincerely hope that you sell quickly and I love it that you have set yourselves a time to leave! It will all work out in the end! :thumbsup:

That's a surprise for the OH :confused: Thought he was all on board. Sounds like actually HE may change his mind. Hope not!

On another note, due to some recent familial events, OH and I have been reconsidering city life and looking at living more remotely. We have been corresponding with a long-lost cousin of mine who lives in Southampton. Said cousin recommended IOW so we could be fairly close to her. We are now looking seriously into it! Would appreciate whatever you can share as you continue with your research :)

Perth Oct 7th 2013 2:58 pm

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: that this will all end in good time and that you will be back home soon. Could you sell your stuff on craigslist instead?

Perth Oct 7th 2013 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10934121)
That's a surprise for the OH :confused: Thought he was all on board. Sounds like actually HE may change his mind. Hope not!

On another note, due to some recent familial events, OH and I have been reconsidering city life and looking at living more remotely. We have been corresponding with a long-lost cousin of mine who lives in Southampton. Said cousin recommended IOW so we could be fairly close to her. We are now looking seriously into it! Would appreciate whatever you can share as you continue with your research :)

I must say after spending my half day off work looking up info on the island, it's a hard sell for me. I have had my heart set on the Welsh landscape for a while now, and i fear IOW may not do! :confused: Will investigate further and talk more with my cousin. She is counting on us being nearby, and it would be nice, but...:unsure: