Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by cheers
"You make me feel so young"
I noticed recently when I was in the check out line that I was staring at someones money because I hadn't seen a $5 + bills for so long.

One thing is I don't notice how much I'm being charged, I just take the receipt and go.

I just came back from the store and my bill for 2 gallons of milk one loaf of french bread and a bottle of mineral water was $7.97. Gas was $10.00 all my credit card. I have a $20 bill in my wallet but that is for an emergency.

See what is happening here. I charge my purchases but then I don't have to pay for them for probably 45 days. Also, I get points on my credit card to use for different things like travel, so its all a game.Cheers
I figured you were getting points, many people do that, of course you are smart enough to pay your bill every month while others pay dearly for their points and yours...
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I figured you were getting points, many people do that, of course you are smart enough to pay your bill every month while others pay dearly for their points and yours...
The points are new to me so will have to wait and see.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Its an absolutely beautiful day down south today, blue sky and sunshine, Its warm and its going to be as high as 15c this afternoon they say, WHOOOOHOOOO Im off to the beach
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:17 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Its an absolutely beautiful day down south today, blue sky and sunshine, Its warm and its going to be as high as 15c this afternoon they say, WHOOOOHOOOO Im off to the beach
It is beautiful up here too, although I don't think it will be as warm as down south. I am off for a walk in the countryside.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

It's gorgeous here too and I think the wind's died down, 8c here already
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

The Love film deal sounds good for the money, we do Netflix but don't do the latest DVD stuff... there's plenty of old Brit stuff on there I've never seen at least for right now.

You are right about the age groups and the younger persons spending habits, I suppose I was young and foolish once, paying way over the odds in HP for stuff, I wish I was as wise as I am today, Id be much better off, I just hate that we are all suckers for the newer ways of spending money.

I think School would be a good place to educate kids about money and what it really costs...
I'm now much older than I used to be (strange about that!), and prefer to use cash for most purchases. However notes and coins are handled thousands of times, so they're not as healthy as plastic cards. Something to consider, but I see no point in using a card for something small. Notes and coins are much quicker.

Yesterday I went into my bank to check on something, and handed over my card. The teller said "that's your bus pass!" I'm wondering if I had put it into an ATM it would have swallowed it up.

Last edited by aries; Apr 30th 2013 at 4:37 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I'm now much older than I used to be (strange about that!), and prefer to use cash for most purchases. However notes and coins are handled thousands of times, so they're not as healthy as plastic cards. Something to consider, but I see no point in using a card for something small. Notes and coins are much quicker.

Yesterday I went into my bank to check on something, and handed over my card. The teller said "that's your bus pass!" I'm wondering if I had put it into an ATM it would have swallowed it up.
This is for you

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38445304.html
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

The Love film deal sounds good for the money, we do Netflix but don't do the latest DVD stuff... there's plenty of old Brit stuff on there I've never seen at least for right now.

You are right about the age groups and the younger persons spending habits, I suppose I was young and foolish once, paying way over the odds in HP for stuff, I wish I was as wise as I am today, Id be much better off, I just hate that we are all suckers for the newer ways of spending money.

I think School would be a good place to educate kids about money and what it really costs...
Some schools do - depends on state requirements. When I lived in Illinois, my eldest daughter was in 10th grade and she had to take a mandatory money management class - I think all states should require it.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That house looks very like my house in Cheshire - brings back many memories.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

between two worlds..Yes I was blame it on those old brain cells. Have to give them more fresh air.

Cheers.. That house is not far from by friends who lives in Great Sutton\ Not far from Chester. I think those people like the colour blue

Japser... Sounds like you are doing well. Hows your Mum doing. I watch Netflix but I seem to have gone through a great many of the British Shows. Its much harder when you watch them on the TV they dont have the same search menu that you have on your computer so you need to know the name of the film or show you are looking for. I have watch all the Midsomer Murders and The Last Detective I find the George Gently series a bit depressing and I dont like his sidekick. I have yet to find a good comedy British comedy show on Netflix although I do watch CS on Hulu.

Update on Not going Home segment.......

I have just discovered that the planes heading for the UK have a flight path that goes right over our house, how mean is that. Off course dear OH had to point it out to me.
I am doing alright although there are so many small things about home I miss. Someone mentioned the birds in England its funny but when I was home even though my Mother lived in a fairly built up area it was full of birds of all varieties. There is nothing to beat an English songbird. Please listen to them the next time they sing. I was watching a program the other day and I had forgotten how beautiful they sound. We have birds but they dont sing the same tunes. What else do I miss I think the easyness of transport. My Sister in law just popped on a bus to Southport and had a lovely day just walking around. That cannot be done here. She had a bus pass so it cost her nothing.
Food whatever people say the UK has a wide variety of foods and most of it is the best. I listen to people here in the US talking about British Food and when I can I put them right. They have no idea here how to bake a really good cake that you can buy, I can think of so many shops in the UK that sell really good bakery items. Savoury foods as well nothing to beat it. Again nothing to compare here. Yesterday I bought some "so called British Bangers" even my husband thought they were awful no idea where they got the recipe from. They just stick a label on them and the poor locals have no idea what the real thing taste like. Glad I only bought four.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone heard how Easterndawn is doing I have not heard from her in a while. I do hope she is alright.
Old May 1st 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

In the news today.

Dianna Durban parents were from Lancashire. Strange that she moved from the US to France to live.

Prices of home slipped in the UK last month.

Cheers
Old May 1st 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
between two worlds..Yes I was blame it on those old brain cells. Have to give them more fresh air.

Cheers.. That house is not far from by friends who lives in Great Sutton\ Not far from Chester. I think those people like the colour blue

Japser... Sounds like you are doing well. Hows your Mum doing. I watch Netflix but I seem to have gone through a great many of the British Shows. Its much harder when you watch them on the TV they dont have the same search menu that you have on your computer so you need to know the name of the film or show you are looking for. I have watch all the Midsomer Murders and The Last Detective I find the George Gently series a bit depressing and I dont like his sidekick. I have yet to find a good comedy British comedy show on Netflix although I do watch CS on Hulu.

Update on Not going Home segment.......

I have just discovered that the planes heading for the UK have a flight path that goes right over our house, how mean is that. Off course dear OH had to point it out to me.
I am doing alright although there are so many small things about home I miss. Someone mentioned the birds in England its funny but when I was home even though my Mother lived in a fairly built up area it was full of birds of all varieties. There is nothing to beat an English songbird. Please listen to them the next time they sing. I was watching a program the other day and I had forgotten how beautiful they sound. We have birds but they dont sing the same tunes. What else do I miss I think the easyness of transport. My Sister in law just popped on a bus to Southport and had a lovely day just walking around. That cannot be done here. She had a bus pass so it cost her nothing.
Food whatever people say the UK has a wide variety of foods and most of it is the best. I listen to people here in the US talking about British Food and when I can I put them right. They have no idea here how to bake a really good cake that you can buy, I can think of so many shops in the UK that sell really good bakery items. Savoury foods as well nothing to beat it. Again nothing to compare here. Yesterday I bought some "so called British Bangers" even my husband thought they were awful no idea where they got the recipe from. They just stick a label on them and the poor locals have no idea what the real thing taste like. Glad I only bought four.
haha I know what you mean about brain cells needing fresh air!

The songbirds. Oh my gosh. One of the things I missed the most in US. Even wrote a poem about them....I just went for a very quick visit to UK...or maybe it was the visit before ( brain cell lapse!)...anyway, i got off the train in my home town and walked up the ramp in the station, a sort of pathway just outside the station proper with a little garden alongside, and though it was cold, windy, and rainy, I was so delighted to be greeted by a robin in a tree singing away like mad, so beautifully.....then on just this last trip, there were a couple of sunny evenings and the blackbirds were singing amazing songs as I walked through the park in the low light of the sun....

Alas, i believe there is less birdsong now than in my youth, songbirds are in trouble, I think I have read. Pesticides, people's cats, and other problems....but still, what there is still is lovely, and I too always notice them on the soundtracks of British programmes and films....
Old May 1st 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I want to know from Donroving as to what his take is on Scottish Independence since he lives there. In listening to people in Scotland does he get the impression that the Scots will vote for independence?

Cheers
Old May 1st 2013, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Between two worlds...I know cats are to blame for thousands of bird deaths but I blame the owners. My daughter has two cats and does not let them out. Over here they would probably get eaten by some animal. People will not learn.
I love songbirds but those in the Uk have such beautiful voices. They sound so happy. Pesticides do more harm to nature and humans than anything else. The poor bee's are in decline because of them. When you read the warnings on rose sprays it tells you not to spray when bee's are around. Do I have some intena that tells me when they are due. Not only that I believe the sprays leave a residue on the flowers that the bee's and butterfly's injest. I would do away with them all including lawn fertilizers which are bad for children and dogs. I stopped using them quite a few years ago. So I have dandilions and buttercups who cares.

Last edited by trottytrue; May 1st 2013 at 8:37 pm. Reason: forgot name

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.