Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

I have been trying to post a picture can anyone tell me how to do it.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tell you how to do a picture trotty, but every time I put one up I have to relearn it myself Something to do with the little paperclip button up above where you write your message press that and then the browse button that pops up and search your computer for the picture choose that and I think that might be it.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Reason #10000 to go home.
Sadly one of the little girls in Dd's school, she was 9, was murdered in her own home in broad daylight by an intruder not far from us. found by her 12 year old brother. Police are swarming all over our neighborhood looking for him with only the 12 year olds description to go by. We all got reverse 911 calls to lock all the doors and stay inside, both yesterday and today.
Parents were not that far away at the ball field with the other children for their little league game they weren't gone long.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'd tell you how to do a picture trotty, but every time I put one up I have to relearn it myself Something to do with the little paperclip button up above where you write your message press that and then the browse button that pops up and search your computer for the picture choose that and I think that might be it.
You have it right, Mummy.

That's horrible news about the little girl
Old Apr 28th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

So awful, I was just reading about this. My heart goes out to her family.

So difficult for all of you in the area especially with children at the same school. I hope they catch him soon so you don't have to worry about him being on the loose.

Sadly this kind of thing is not unique to the US
Old Apr 28th 2013, 11:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by NiHao
So awful, I was just reading about this. My heart goes out to her family.

So difficult for all of you in the area especially with children at the same school. I hope they catch him soon so you don't have to worry about him being on the loose.

Sadly this kind of thing is not unique to the US
I know it could happen everywhere. Sadly it changes the whole feel of our neighborhood, this is an area where people have the houses wide open, especially in the daytime and the kids roam free, from house to house. Playing out with their friends and horses and other pets and ideal place to raise kids the old fashioned way if you know what I mean.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Reason #10000 to go home.
Sadly one of the little girls in Dd's school, she was 9, was murdered in her own home in broad daylight by an intruder not far from us. found by her 12 year old brother. Police are swarming all over our neighborhood looking for him with only the 12 year olds description to go by. We all got reverse 911 calls to lock all the doors and stay inside, both yesterday and today.
Parents were not that far away at the ball field with the other children for their little league game they weren't gone long.
What is a reverse 911 call? Are you saying the police called all the cell phones in the area?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by windsong
What is a reverse 911 call? Are you saying the police called all the cell phones in the area?
They call all the house phone numbers in the area and it's an automated message giving instructions.
The school did the same today, called to said there will be Police on campus and at the school bus stops and councilors for the staff parents and children in the school tomorrow. Dd is fast asleep in my bed, she booted out her Dad and he's in her little bed for the night.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I hope this works this is the picture I wanted to show you. I dont think it needs any words......mummy in the foothills thankyou...
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-april-2013-053.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I hope this works this is the picture I wanted to show you. I dont think it needs any words......mummy in the foothills thankyou...
Would a hug do?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh trotty......yes, BIG hug.

Puts things in perspective. I am in UK flat-hunting for a slightly bigger place than the one we've got (too small for living in together more than a few weeks!) and frustrated because I can't find what I want in the area I want at the price we can afford.....

Getting my knickers in a twist (!good British vernacular )about it all--but how lucky I am to be able to be looking in UK at all, and foreseeing being based here; my dream come true really, yet one starts to take things for granted when they become reality.....

so, your box of china, with its hopeful inscriptions, which makes my heart go out to you so much and with such sympathy, also recalls me to myself and reminds me not to get so uptight about which flat to buy....
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Oh trotty......yes, BIG hug.

Puts things in perspective. I am in UK flat-hunting for a slightly bigger place than the one we've got (too small for living in together more than a few weeks!) and frustrated because I can't find what I want in the area I want at the price we can afford.....

Getting my knickers in a twist (!good British vernacular )about it all--but how lucky I am to be able to be looking in UK at all, and foreseeing being based here; my dream come true really, yet one starts to take things for granted when they become reality.....

so, your box of china, with its hopeful inscriptions, which makes my heart go out to you so much and with such sympathy, also recalls me to myself and reminds me not to get so uptight about which flat to buy....
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish and chips..I have been busy trying to get settled in the new home but I have popped in now and again and not seem much going on I suppose people are busy with the start of the warmer weather they are spending more time outside and maybe there is a lull in those wanting to go home.
Trotty...

Possibly so, thats what we were doing, out in the yard etc.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Do people charge their shopping in the UK like we do here?
I can go around for weeks without spending cash here. Is it the same in the UK?

Cheers
I agree with Trotty, bad idea using credit cards instead of cash, The Brits are very much CC people, they seem to follow these trends quite easily.

We like to use Cash, but I see that as getting more difficult, my wife popped into Walmart and went in self checkout lane but couldn't use cash, CCs only, Thats terrible in my opinion, its just another move towards no cash, I see it as more control led by the banking industry, It's not a good thing, People are so easily led...

My Dad always said giving our money to the banks was the worst thing that ever happened, I used to think he was a bit behind the times, but after all Ive seen in recent years I think he was 100% right...

I'm not a fan of self check out either, My wife likes it but I dont, I used to work in that industry, self check puts people out of work, many thousands of jobs have been lost to that idea, its not like you get any kind of a discount, you are working for a major corporation for FREE, plus while you are checking groceries your mind is on that scanner and your groceries not on your purse, a perfect time for the little pick pockets...

I see Tesco is closing its 200 American Fresh and Easy stores.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I agree with Trotty, bad idea using credit cards instead of cash, The Brits are very much CC people, they seem to follow these trends quite easily.

We like to use Cash, but I see that as getting more difficult, my wife popped into Walmart and went in self checkout lane but couldn't use cash, CCs only, Thats terrible in my opinion, its just another move towards no cash, I see it as more control led by the banking industry, It's not a good thing, People are so easily led...

My Dad always said giving our money to the banks was the worst thing that ever happened, I used to think he was a bit behind the times, but after all Ive seen in recent years I think he was 100% right...

I just thought of something else. People are using their credit cards to build up 'points'.

I'm not a fan of self check out either, My wife likes it but I dont, I used to work in that industry, self check puts people out of work, many thousands of jobs have been lost to that idea, its not like you get any kind of a discount, you are working for a major corporation for FREE, plus while you are checking groceries your mind is on that scanner and your groceries not on your purse, a perfect time for the little pick pockets...

I see Tesco is closing its 200 American Fresh and Easy stores.
Getting technical but I think Tesco is trying to find a buyer for its US stores. I wish there was one by me I would like to see them.

Thank you for answering my question about the Brits using credit cards. I meant to point out that I pay off the card I use each month. There is psychology involved in that if you paid cash you wouldn't spend as much. Another factor is the merchant has to pay about 1-3% to the card companies for the service which means maybe that the merchandise could be lower if people paid cash. This isn't all bad because they don't have to spend time counting all the cash and they don't have to have all the change available.

There has been talk in recent months about adding the 3%? charge to your bill but I don't think the merchants think that is a good idea and in their interests.

Last edited by cheers; Apr 29th 2013 at 3:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.