Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by windsong
I really have to try Netflix. I assume they allow you to watch programs on the computer (pay per view or monthly subscription) rather than having DVDs delivered to your door.
Go ahead and go to netflix.com and browse around. I think it is well worth the money.

You can chose just to have streaming video at $8.00 a month or also have DVDs sent to the house for like $8 more or something. We used to have both because not everything is available online, but DVD's take days to get to you, and you can only get one at a time, so you have to send one back before you get another. The last time we ordered one it arrived shattered in little pieces. So we make do with what's available online.

We also have Amazon prime - actually for the free shipping - only $79 a year - and they have some free streaming videos. Otherwise you can pay per view, usually $1.99. However, we are going to splurge and pay $9.99 to see Ben Wishaw (of The Hour) in Bright Star (biography of John Keats)....again I am requesting a slobbering emoticon, but I guess I'll just settle for a <sigh>
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Go ahead and go to netflix.com and browse around. I think it is well worth the money.

You can chose just to have streaming video at $8.00 a month or also have DVDs sent to the house for like $8 more or something. We used to have both because not everything is available online, but DVD's take days to get to you, and you can only get one at a time, so you have to send one back before you get another. The last time we ordered one it arrived shattered in little pieces. So we make do with what's available online.

We also have Amazon prime - actually for the free shipping - only $79 a year - and they have some free streaming videos. Otherwise you can pay per view, usually $1.99. However, we are going to splurge and pay $9.99 to see Ben Wishaw (of The Hour) in Bright Star (biography of John Keats)....again I am requesting a slobbering emoticon, but I guess I'll just settle for a <sigh>

Thank you very much!! I am so happy for the online viewing opportunities because, now, I don't have to pay a fortune for terrible cable TV - and I think the assortment is going to get a lot better over time, too.

I didn't know Amazon offered anything of this sort, so it is good to know. I will investigate
Old Feb 24th 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much!! I am so happy for the online viewing opportunities because, now, I don't have to pay a fortune for terrible cable TV - and I think the assortment is going to get a lot better over time, too.

I didn't know Amazon offered anything of this sort, so it is good to know. I will investigate
Oh, I forgot, Netflix will give you a free trial month.

Last edited by Perth; Feb 24th 2013 at 8:03 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I forgot, Netflix will give you a free trial month.
Thank you so much!

Now my next task is to find an Internet provider "at a reasonable price" that does not require an indoor phone line to give me Internet access. I don't need a land line and I hate to pay for it if I don't need it.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much!

Now my next task is to find an Internet provider "at a reasonable price" that does not require an indoor phone line to give me Internet access. I don't need a land line and I hate to pay for it if I don't need it.
Do you mean cellular data? If so Virgin are pretty good I think. I'm going for this:

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband.html

plus a cellphone/data plan

Last edited by happyglow; Feb 24th 2013 at 9:33 pm. Reason: added link
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
Do you mean cellular data? If so Virgin are pretty good I think. I'm going for this:

http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband.html

plus a cellphone/data plan
Yes, something like that but unfortunately I am still in the USA and I think VirginMedia is for UK.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, something like that but unfortunately I am still in the USA and I think VirginMedia is for UK.
Whoops sorry, I thought you were planning for UK stuff. I'm in the final stages of, so please excuse any brain fade
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

If anyone wants to watch the Oscars online, the show can be viewed free on this site:

http://www.vipbox.tv/tv-shows/133621...am-online.html
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happyglow
Whoops sorry, I thought you were planning for UK stuff. I'm in the final stages of, so please excuse any brain fade
No problem. At least now I have a suggestion for when I get to the UK
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am with CenturyLink and $23 for Wi Fi. Been with them for decades though so they don't want to lose my business when I piss and moan about billing errors, promises made etc. etc. I also have NetFlix. Stuff is older but for $8.71 per month and can cancel at any time I think not bad deal.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of surprises for the oscars.
I thought it had been bought by Lincoln. No so.
I really liked the host and the set and everything else about the Oscars show.
I didn't see a lot of the old crowd of stars there, maybe they are all dead?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Didn't watch the oscars, spent most of today clearing off my desktop computer ready for its new home, and backing up data. Another job done! Everything seems to take a LOT longer than I thought, glad I started preparing early.

Also played with a painting - can you tell what it is yet? I can't
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don, I'm curious - on the other days, do you put your right leg into your trousers, or both legs?
Yes, and on other days - I might even bum around naked!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

You and I are wearing the same shoes! I am overwhelmed by all the choices. The only place where I have a close enough relative who is excited for me to me over (the others have been strangely silent) lives in Southampton, and it is not the most attractive of places. Maybe we'll both meet Rodney for that beer. We have invited him to join us at a pub down by him whenever we venture that way!
I will look forward to having a nice beer with you both, and maybe lunch and catchup!!!!! and I will show you around the more interesting parts of Pompey and Southsea, the Charles Dickens Museum (his birth place) is nice to see too, Portsmouth is only 22 miles from Southampton.
Rodney.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for you wishes all of you I am doing fine just have to get on with it. When we were going home we had decided on a few places one of them high on the list was Herefordshire. I liked it because it was unspoilt and less expensive than other area's of beauty. We found some really nice houses. Herefordshire is close to both North and South so a good place for all. This is the website I looked at houses and there are still some really nice ones to be had. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...html?index=680 They even highlighted it on a program here in the US cannot think was it was but it was still as beautiful as I remember.

Another place we liked apart from Hoole outside Chester was Handbridge with is the otherside of Chester and within easy walking distance of Chester and you dont run into the same traffic as you do from Hoole. My friend is thinking of moving from the village she lives in to Handbridge as she would not need her car so much.Not being able to drive since she broke her wrist its been hard on her having to wait for relatives or friends to pick her up to take her shopping. If she lived closer to Chester she would be able to either shop local or get on a bus into Chester.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.