Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 25th 2013, 3:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by jasper123
Avril, this what you say here is very interesting, I feel the same way as you --- but in reverse!!! as you know I lived in US for a long time just like you, and in all those years I had not one British friend, I never came across any that actually lived there ----- only tourists, and I would talk to them briefly on ocacasins but I had nothing really in common with them really, mostly cause I had lived in US for so long and only knew Americans, and although I had few friends over the years, the ones I did have were real friends to me, and now Im back home in UK I still keep in touch with two of my long time dearest and best friends Ive ever had in my life, and thetr both American, one was born and raised in New York and the other California,
And the US was where I spent most of my working life so I was used to the wonderful social aspect of just how americans are when they are at work, I had a lot of work friends that were great to be around, mostly the friendships would stay at work ---- with some exceptions, but that good too,
Now Im back home I find it difficult to speak to English people at any lengh, I find that I have very little if anything in common with them,
where in America I could talk to my friends there for hours and hours and never run out of things to talk about, mainly I think cause ----- like you say about your English friends, you have some history, and things in common with them ---- well with me its the oppisite you see, just about all the history that I can remember has been in America with American people, and I have lots in common with them, and in a lot of ways I still think like Americans.
I was friends in the US with a British couple and always enjoyed catching up with them, because there were things we could talk about that an American would never get - we had a shared history of growing up in the UK. But that just meant I had a different relationship with them and a different way of interacting. I never had any problem talking with my US friends.

However, I have similar experiences to you here - my 20+ years in the US sometimes mean that I am culturally ignorant (I often have to ask who someone is - besides knowing the Spice Girls and David Beckham, my knowledge and experience of popular culture and British current affairs 1983-2006 is largely non-existent). I also don't want to become a bore by constantly referring to the US ...
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
However, I have similar experiences to you here - my 20+ years in the US sometimes mean that I am culturally ignorant (I often have to ask who someone is - besides knowing the Spice Girls and David Beckham, my knowledge and experience of popular culture and British current affairs 1983-2006 is largely non-existent). I also don't want to become a bore by constantly referring to the US ...
+1
We go out ocasionally with friends that we knew before USA + their friends. Their hobbies are sport and pub quizzes about which I know zilch and in avoiding talk of USA myself I am often left looking blank and with nowt to say on any subject.
I must try to bone up beforehand on some questions I can put to them to keep them talking. DW is good at questioning so I let her lead.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 8:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
+1
We go out ocasionally with friends that we knew before USA + their friends. Their hobbies are sport and pub quizzes about which I know zilch and in avoiding talk of USA myself I am often left looking blank and with nowt to say on any subject.
I must try to bone up beforehand on some questions I can put to them to keep them talking. DW is good at questioning so I let her lead.
I find that if you start with, "What about the game last night, eh?" I don't need to say anything else for the next hour as everyone seems to have an opinion.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I was friends in the US with a British couple and always enjoyed catching up with them, because there were things we could talk about that an American would never get - we had a shared history of growing up in the UK. But that just meant I had a different relationship with them and a different way of interacting. I never had any problem talking with my US friends.

When I came home Dec 30th 2010 I was the same as you, I knew the spice girls cause they made it big in America, and had briefly heard of David Beckham, but had no idea he married one of the spice girls, I knew of David Dimbleby only because I used to watch his Father Richard on his TV program with great interest for years before I emigrated, but other then that ---- for me any TV personality or even British singers who sprung up from 1974 to 2010 I had absolutely no idea who they were, (most were not even born when I left) anyone that just gained fame in the U.K. and was not able to crack the American market were completely unknown to me,
But now after 2 and 1/2 years on British soil all these faces and names of famous British people are ingrained in my memory bank forever I had not seen a corrie episode or Emerdale or eastenders since 1974, and I come back and I even find that Ena Sharples is dead along with dozens more, well now I watch all those three soaps every night there on,and Im really into them too,
great TV but what happened to Crossroads?
So far the absolutely funniest show I have seen on TV here is Mrs Browns Boys its straight from Southern Ireland and its hilarious, anyone in America lucky enough to have seen this show? every episode is top notch all the way through, and Mrs Jones ----- played by Brendan O'carroll I see on the credits he writes the whole script, wow this kind of program reminds me of how good the entertainment was on British TV in the 60's and 70's
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Well its luvley here with clear blue skies and nice and warm.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:37 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by cheers
Well its luvley here with clear blue skies and nice and warm.
Up here in Glasgow we have had 4 seasons in one day.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Cold and windy, rainy here in Maine. I'll take this anyway over 90 degrees....
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Its nasty here in New Hampshire raining and windy. But better than the humidity. At least I dont feel like a wet blanket.

Here's a question...I have a jar of Horlicks which had gone rock solid so I thought I would dry it out in the Microwave....Not the thing to do now I have a big blob of horlicks. Anyone any idea how to dry it out and does anyone have any ideas what to do with a big blob of Horlicks.......
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:14 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Its nasty here in New Hampshire raining and windy. But better than the humidity. At least I dont feel like a wet blanket.

Here's a question...I have a jar of Horlicks which had gone rock solid so I thought I would dry it out in the Microwave....Not the thing to do now I have a big blob of horlicks. Anyone any idea how to dry it out and does anyone have any ideas what to do with a big blob of Horlicks.......
Try putting it on a baking tray on a very low heat.

Microwaving it wouldn't remove the fluid it had absorbed, all it does is heat the fluid so you end up with the strongest cup of Horlcks you ever had.

TBH I think it's probably nackered so you have nothing to lose by slowly "baking" it - LOW heat.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:27 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Left Orkney this morning in thick fog and it stayed that way until just south of Wick. Now back in the Borders and it is a beautiful sunny evening.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and 40 celsius
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

93 and humid/very sweaty, Yukkk its been like this all week.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving...Thanks I will try putting the blob in the oven and seeing what happens.......I suppose I could cut it into squares and eat it.....
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

While we are talking about food.......

When we were in the UK we stopped at a few McDonalds and found out the burgers were not the same as stateside. Why?
It was a meat patty and a bun and nothing else. My DD asked a manager what gives and he said they were cutting back on costs. Now thats a good way to damage your business. Where is the pickle, lettuce, tomato and mayo? I grant you it was a big bun and a big meat pattie.

Now Burger King was very good.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

So there is news about Downton Abbey in todays Telegraph.
A 2014 DA callender is out.
The new season starts September.
and the name of the baby that Lady Elizebeth had is, it begins with G
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.