British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

lf1 Feb 13th 2013 8:00 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Can't help you with your Stateside question. when you arrive in the UK just show them your UK passport, I don't recall ever being asked anything other than "where are you traveling from?". I have been using my Cdn and UK passports for years, just to avoid any queues.:)

curleytops Feb 13th 2013 10:07 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10540122)
Last week, I rehearsed every night for the Panto, so I have got lots of telly to catch up on. According to OH, there is some football game on, so he is going down the pub to watch it as we don't have the football channel (or whatever it is called). I am very happy about this as I can pour myself a glass of wine and watch Mr Selfridge and Dancing on the Edge. Is anyone else watching these?

Last night I watched Lewis. That just makes me want to jump on train and head straight to Oxford.:)

I've been watching Mr. Selfridge. It seems I just love these nostalgia/period programs these days. Catherine Kelly is absolutely brilliant as Lady Mae - didn't she clean up great? I have a great-aunt who turned 102 just before Christmas and when I think that she was born about the time Mr. Selfridge was getting started it just blows my mind that she was born in a totally different world to what we know and how much she's seen in her life. Happily she's still sharp as a tack and has a fiery sense of humour. I can't wait to see her next time we're up in Shields.

windsong Feb 13th 2013 10:19 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10541799)
Can't help you with your Stateside question. when you arrive in the UK just show them your UK passport, I don't recall ever being asked anything other than "where are you traveling from?". I have been using my Cdn and UK passports for years, just to avoid any queues.:)

Thank you, If1 :)

windsong Feb 13th 2013 10:30 am

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10541947)
I've been watching Mr. Selfridge. It seems I just love these nostalgia/period programs these days. Catherine Kelly is absolutely brilliant as Lady Mae - didn't she clean up great? I have a great-aunt who turned 102 just before Christmas and when I think that she was born about the time Mr. Selfridge was getting started it just blows my mind that she was born in a totally different world to what we know and how much she's seen in her life. Happily she's still sharp as a tack and has a fiery sense of humour. I can't wait to see her next time we're up in Shields.

Funny, you should say that. I have also been thinking about relatives of mine that were born around 1900 and that I knew as a very young child. I have some very fond memories of them. I remember the rice puddings my great aunt used to make in her old Victorian home in Wales in the big black coal-fired stove she had. It made the BEST rice puddings :) And to think my grandfather was born in 1896. I love to see photos of the UK in this era so I can try to imagine what their lives must have been like :)

jasper123 Feb 13th 2013 11:31 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10541528)
I have a quick question about a one-way flight to the UK (the last one!)

When I eventually leave the USA, I will be taking a one-way flight to the UK. When departing the USA, I know I need to show a US passport - BUT am I likely to be asked if I am coming back when they see I only have a one-way ticket? (Can't WAIT for that one-way ticket!) In other words, if the US were to suspect I am not returning, could there be any difficulty upon leaving?

I have a similar question about arriving in the UK using a UK passport. Will I be asked if I am arriving for a vacation or if I am planning to stay?

When I came home over two years ago when I was looking into fare prices and airlines I decided to go with Virgin, #1 it was a direct flight, #2 Ive been flying with them for years and like there service, now there roundtrip ticket cost $200 cheaper then there single one way ticket at that time, which is often the case with many airlines :confused: ---- go figure!!!! so it was a no brainer for me to buy the round trip ticket, cheaper!!!!
Now on the passport issue, I used my U.S. passport to leave the States, and my British Passport to enter England,
So no questions on either side, but I dont know if the U.S. will ask any questions on if you only have a one way ticket, --------except maybe to request to see your British Passport?
This is I think the way most people use there duel passport status,

Mallory Feb 13th 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10541528)
I have a quick question about a one-way flight to the UK (the last one!)

When I eventually leave the USA, I will be taking a one-way flight to the UK. When departing the USA, I know I need to show a US passport - BUT am I likely to be asked if I am coming back when they see I only have a one-way ticket? (Can't WAIT for that one-way ticket!) In other words, if the US were to suspect I am not returning, could there be any difficulty upon leaving?

I have a similar question about arriving in the UK using a UK passport. Will I be asked if I am arriving for a vacation or if I am planning to stay?

No problems, unless you are a criminal on the run! :lol:

curleytops Feb 13th 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10541976)
Funny, you should say that. I have also been thinking about relatives of mine that were born around 1900 and that I knew as a very young child. I have some very fond memories of them. I remember the rice puddings my great aunt used to make in her old Victorian home in Wales in the big black coal-fired stove she had. It made the BEST rice puddings :) And to think my grandfather was born in 1896. I love to see photos of the UK in this era so I can try to imagine what their lives must have been like :)

I think food and fireplaces are two things we tend to remember very fondly from our pasts. On the subject of old photos, here is where we lived in Folkestone, taken in 1887. It doesn't look all that different today really.

http://www.francisfrith.com/folkesto...n=google.co.uk

We lived on the third floor towards the far end of the right hand side row. We're planning on purchasing a framed copy of the print to hang in our new home as a memento of where we lived when we were first married.

Recently we watched a program about the old railways in Britain and I learned that for most of WW1 Folkestone was the departure point for soldiers going to war on the continent. The train ran right to the docks very near where we lived. My maternal grandfather ran off to fight that war when he was only 14. I bet he never dreamed that one day his eldest granddaughter would be living a 15 minute walk from where he left native soil!

lf1 Feb 13th 2013 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10541947)

Indeed, she did scrub up well. The changes your great-aunt has seen are incredible. Great to hear that she is still sharp as tack. My gran, who died in 1978, was absolutely terrified of the new fangled invention known as the telephone. She hated having to answer it.

There is a lady in our choir who is 93 and she is also sharp as a tack, although she is still driving and that scares me a bit.:)

lf1 Feb 13th 2013 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10541976)

I have found researching my family history very interesting and learning a bit more about life back in the day. I remember my granny's black stove too and she was such a great baker. Cleaning the baking bowl was always a big treat.:)

lf1 Feb 13th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10542085)
I think food and fireplaces are two things we tend to remember very fondly from our pasts. On the subject of old photos, here is where we lived in Folkestone, taken in 1887. It doesn't look all that different today really.

http://www.francisfrith.com/folkesto...n=google.co.uk

We lived on the third floor towards the far end of the right hand side row. We're planning on purchasing a framed copy of the print to hang in our new home as a memento of where we lived when we were first married.

Recently we watched a program about the old railways in Britain and I learned that for most of WW1 Folkestone was the departure point for soldiers going to war on the continent. The train ran right to the docks very near where we lived. My maternal grandfather ran off to fight that war when he was only 14. I bet he never dreamed that one day his eldest granddaughter would be living a 15 minute walk from where he left native soil!

That is such a lovely idea.

fulwood Feb 13th 2013 5:28 pm

I've been watching Mr. Selfridge and sad to say I don't like it. Too overdramatic for my taste..

Derrygal Feb 13th 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10542699)
I've been watching Mr. Selfridge and sad to say I don't like it. Too overdramatic for my taste..

I haven't seen it yet? It hasn't reached my PBS station yet. It's supposed to be shown sometime this year. Just wondering - are you watching it using the Expat shield thing?

shelley748 Feb 13th 2013 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10540330)
My sister got very sick from eating one of those horsey Supermarket burgers, she was admitted to hospital, the Doctors say she is doing much better now and in Stable condition.

Now that's the kind of joke I love, I miss the great sense of humour more than most things.

Did anyone check out those guys on You Tube, They got dressed up in a Horse suit and went in Tesco's looking for their Mum... I love that someone has got the guts to do something like that and film it.

Hilarious!!!

fulwood Feb 14th 2013 12:10 am

derrygal, I don't use expatshield anymore. too many darned issues. i installed app called hola.org. easy to install and much better. read about it in the "Trailer Park" forum.

Derrygal Feb 14th 2013 1:30 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10543519)
derrygal, I don't use expatshield anymore. too many darned issues. i installed app called hola.org. easy to install and much better. read about it in the "Trailer Park" forum.

Thanks very much - I'll have to look into that.