British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Feb 5th 2013 2:07 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I am trying to decide when to have them. My OH is going out so he needs a property lunch and then we are having stew for dinner. Maybe I will make them just for myself this afternoon anyone want to join me.:D

Returning home update.

yesterday we went to look at the house we are buying. I am trying to get excited about it but I just cannot do it. In fact I find myself getting a little angry. My OH is already planning a large housewarming party.:frown:

I am also having to find a shipper to transport some of my Mothers items overhere. Don't think she will like that idea.

On a brighter note dont you think English History is wonderful. Where else could you dig up a King from underneath a parking lot. We had a neighbour years ago who was a member of the Richard III Society.

dunroving Feb 5th 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 10526389)
I am trying to decide when to have them. My OH is going out so he needs a property lunch and then we are having stew for dinner. Maybe I will make them just for myself this afternoon anyone want to join me.:D

Returning home update.

yesterday we went to look at the house we are buying. I am trying to get excited about it but I just cannot do it. In fact I find myself getting a little angry. My OH is already planning a large housewarming party.:frown:

I am also having to find a shipper to transport some of my Mothers items overhere. Don't think she will like that idea.

On a brighter note dont you think English History is wonderful. Where else could you dig up a King from underneath a parking lot. We had a neighbour years ago who was a member of the Richard III Society.

There was a documentary on it last night, showing the story from start to finish. I was transfixed - what an extremely odd set of characters - I really thought that it felt like one of those hoax programmes.

rebs Feb 5th 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10526472)
There was a documentary on it last night, showing the story from start to finish. I was transfixed - what an extremely odd set of characters - I really thought that it felt like one of those hoax programmes.

It really was odd in places - to my mind, it went all 'mockumentary' when the woman had to rush out in tears from the room where the bones were :rofl:

dunroving Feb 5th 2013 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10526476)
It really was odd in places - to my mind, it went all 'mockumentary' when the woman had to rush out in tears from the room where the bones were :rofl:

Yes, the forensic archeologist (the good-looking woman who accidentally put a hole in Richard III's head while digging with a mattock :rofl:) had a bemused smile on her face when the crazy woman left the room in floods of tears.

The best bit was when they were debating whether it was appropriate to drape Richard III's standard over his cardboard box as they placed him in the back of that Volkswagen Caddy van. Priceless.

Nice publicity for the University of Leicester, though. :lol:

rebs Feb 5th 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10526547)
Yes, the forensic archeologist (the good-looking woman who accidentally put a hole in Richard III's head while digging with a mattock :rofl:) had a bemused smile on her face when the crazy woman left the room in floods of tears.

The best bit was when they were debating whether it was appropriate to drape Richard III's standard over his cardboard box as they placed him in the back of that Volkswagen Caddy van. Priceless.

Nice publicity for the University of Leicester, though. :lol:

Yes, I remembered about the standard thing after my reply... what nonsense! almost a bit scripted with that shot of the box in the van along with what looked like trash all around...

Yes, the university are not letting us overlook their involvement (funding?) are they?

I wonder what influence they have had in the decision to have the remains buried in Leicester cathedral when it seems more logical to be done in York?

between two worlds Feb 5th 2013 6:14 pm

Returning home update.

Sorry you are having such mixed feelings about the new house, Trottytrue.

Yes, this is amazing, this Richard III stuff!

Remember the wonderful book in which Josephine Tey's detective, Alleyn I think he is, tries to solve the puzzle of whether or not R III did kill the Princes in the Tower? It's called Daughter of Time, a great read.

tina

between two worlds Feb 5th 2013 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10526472)

Wish I could have seen this documentary.

dunroving Feb 5th 2013 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10526570)
Yes, I remembered about the standard thing after my reply... what nonsense! almost a bit scripted with that shot of the box in the van along with what looked like trash all around...

Yes, the university are not letting us overlook their involvement (funding?) are they?

I wonder what influence they have had in the decision to have the remains buried in Leicester cathedral when it seems more logical to be done in York?

Not sure, but the words "research ethics" and "conflict of interest" come to mind.

I cringe most of the time that university "experts" are interviewed on telly or appear in documentaries. Aside from some clearly intelligent exceptions, the ones who end up in the papers or on television aren't the best scientists. They are just the best at bigging themselevs up and self-publicity.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 5th 2013 6:58 pm

Returning home update.

I can totally understand your anger, I hate to poke my nose in at this point, but if you havent signed for the house why not consider renting a condo or something, I'm thinking it will give you the freedom to travel and meanwhile you will have no worries about maintanance or selling if and when the time comes.

Best Wishes.

dontheturner Feb 5th 2013 7:40 pm

I am trying to decide when to have them. My OH is going out so he needs a property lunch and then we are having stew for dinner. Maybe I will make them just for myself this afternoon anyone

Well Avril - my immediate thought was back to when the police dug up a back garden looking for all those young females..................!!

shelley748 Feb 6th 2013 12:02 am

Hi all- been a while since I have been on- just spent ages catching up on things!!!

Has anyone heard from Easterdawn recently? That was a name from the past.

I was fascinated to learn about Richard the 3rd!!! Time Team DVD came out of my cabinet at the weekend and then I hear about this!! LOL

We are still in Canada for now- that may change depending on what happens in the next year at work.

Under tremendous pressure to bring on new business and the economy is not great!!

between two worlds Feb 6th 2013 6:32 am

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 10527604)
Hi all- been a while since I have been on- just spent ages catching up on things!!!

Has anyone heard from Easterdawn recently? That was a name from the past.

I was fascinated to learn about Richard the 3rd!!! Time Team DVD came out of my cabinet at the weekend and then I hear about this!! LOL

We are still in Canada for now- that may change depending on what happens in the next year at work.

Under tremendous pressure to bring on new business and the economy is not great!!

Hey Shelley great to hear from you again. Let us know what happens...

I don't know if anyone's heard privately from Easterndawn, I think her last posted update was last August (2012). She's thought of by all on here with such affection and admiration.

J.JsOH Feb 6th 2013 10:44 am

Returning home update.

Sorry to hear about your challenges getting to like a new home. It seems that you and your husband are at different ends of the scale.
Is there a third option, as suggested in a posting by Fish&Chips.

Just wondering.........

trottytrue Feb 6th 2013 9:20 pm

J.JsOH..No other option at this time but once we settle in I am off to England for an extended holiday. I think I deserve it.

shelley748....So nice to hear from you glad that things are going well. Please keep us informed on what you are doing.

between two worlds..I do email ED now and again although I have not heard from her recently she seemed to be doing better last time I heard from her but that was a few months ago. I know she wished she had saved more money. But then dont we all. If I had known years ago howe difficult things would become I would have set up a special fund "Going Home". Even if I had just put a few dollars in at a time over the years it would have amounted up.

shelley748 Feb 7th 2013 1:06 am

well looks like we are going to get blasted by another winter storm- 15-20cm of snow coming..

I will be glad to see the back of that one day when i am back in the UK.