British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

jasper123 Mar 18th 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 10609178)
Rodney - I can't believe you have been in UK over 2 years now! Time flies by..

YEP sure does fulwood, time seems to just pass so quickly, more so I feel then in America, strange really cause over there I was always busy working, so you would think that time would pass a lot quicker :confused:
And here I am back in my home town of Pompey, and back after a lifetime away,
This time Im retired and you would think that time would pass real slow as though you were in Prison, but not at all for me, but then Im always busy doing things, I like to get out and do walks all over the place, the country walks are great, and I also love walking up the whole length of the seafront, several miles,
smelling the sea air, gazing up at the sky and seeing and hearing the wild seagulls, I go to the cinema every thursday which I enjoy, they have a special senior day then, movie and cup of tea and biscuits all for £3.10p at Vue Cinema, what a deal huh!!!:thumbsup:

ElizabethK Mar 18th 2013 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10610896)
Yesterday I cooked a nice pork roast Joint for Sunday dinner, with roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots & broccoli, ---- next Sunday its going to be a nice roast Lamb with real fresh mint sauce :) lovely jubely.

I want to live next door to you and happen to pop by just at the point when everything is ready to eat :flirtyeyes:

windsong Mar 18th 2013 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10611578)
YEP sure does fulwood, time seems to just pass so quickly, more so I feel then in America, strange really cause over there I was always busy working, so you would think that time would pass a lot quicker :confused:
And here I am back in my home town of Pompey, and back after a lifetime away,
This time Im retired and you would think that time would pass real slow as though you were in Prison, but not at all for me, but then Im always busy doing things, I like to get out and do walks all over the place, the country walks are great, and I also love walking up the whole length of the seafront, several miles,
smelling the sea air, gazing up at the sky and seeing and hearing the wild seagulls, I go to the cinema every thursday which I enjoy, they have a special senior day then, movie and cup of tea and biscuits all for £3.10p at Vue Cinema, what a deal huh!!!:thumbsup:

Rodney, when I get back to the UK, we must arrange to meet some time so I can accompany you on one of those glorious walks and we can have tea and biscuits afterwards :D

fulwood Mar 19th 2013 2:56 am

Perth - VA centers I think are always in need of volunteers as well. I have worked in assisted living facilities before but for volunteering think I am going to try VA if I can find the time. Right now I'm more into trying to help dog rescue groups however I can..

cheers Mar 19th 2013 3:48 am

So Frank Thornton, Capt Peacock, has passed away at 92 years of age. How many are left from the cast of Are You Being Served?

http://www.peter-allen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/welcome.htm

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 19th 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10611820)
So Frank Thornton, Capt Peacock, has passed away at 92 years of age. How many are left from the cast of Are You Being Served?

http://www.peter-allen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/welcome.htm

What a Bummer, he was great in are you being served but I loved him even more as Truly of the Yard in The Last of the Summer wine...

Thanks for that Cheers.

ElizabethK Mar 19th 2013 4:11 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 10611630)
Rodney, when I get back to the UK, we must arrange to meet some time so I can accompany you on one of those glorious walks and we can have tea and biscuits afterwards :D

Oi, stop flirting with my new boyfriend asking him on glorious walks and the like. . . he'll be too busy making me those delicious roast dinners he spoke of ;)

cheers Mar 19th 2013 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 10611835)
What a Bummer, he was great in are you being served but I loved him even more as Truly of the Yard in The Last of the Summer wine...

Thanks for that Cheers.

Cuthbert is the last of the team and he is 79

Fish n Chips 56 Mar 19th 2013 8:05 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 10611841)
Cuthbert is the last of the team and he is 79

Old Big Ears???...

windsong Mar 19th 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ElizabethK (Post 10611840)
Oi, stop flirting with my new boyfriend asking him on glorious walks and the like. . . he'll be too busy making me those delicious roast dinners he spoke of ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jasper123 Mar 19th 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ElizabethK (Post 10611840)

Ha Ha Ha Ha Elizabeth and windsong I will wait in anticipation for both of your arrivals in the United Kingdom, WOW lucky me, I can just imagine the three of us taking a lovely walk in the beautiful Hampshire countryside, then stoping for lunch and a pint at a nice down to earth little country Pub,
And of course you are both invited to a nice Sunday roast, and apple pie & ice cream or custard for desert, ---- still cant get myself to say afters :blink:
and I certainly wont ever be calling dinner or the meal at night ---- tea :confused:

tea

between two worlds Mar 19th 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10612368)
Ha Ha Ha Ha Elizabeth and windsong I will wait in anticipation for both of your arrivals in the United Kingdom, WOW lucky me, I can just imagine the three of us taking a lovely walk in the beautiful Hampshire countryside, then stoping for lunch and a pint at a nice down to earth little country Pub,
And of course you are both invited to a nice Sunday roast, and apple pie & ice cream or custard for desert, ---- still cant get myself to say afters :blink:
and I certainly wont ever be calling dinner or the meal at night ---- tea :confused:tea

!! Well that's the thing, as someone else has already said, "tea" (meaning dinner) is a northern thing, and even in the north may depend on circumstances. I mean you wouldn't say "I've booked for tea at 7 tonight at that wonderful Italian restaurant," or would you? And Lord and Lady So-and-so in their mansion up north would surely talk about tea at teatime, and dinner in the evening?

I have a sister living oop north and she has picked it up; the other day on skype she said "I don't know what to have for tea" and for a minute I was really bemused and nearly answered, "um, a cup of tea? and maybe a biscuit or two?" until i realised she meant supper (or dinner)!!

As for "afters" instead of "dessert," i rarely heard it growing up, nor did we say "pudding."

Ah, the regional variations in our wonderful language...I love it!

lf1 Mar 19th 2013 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 10612409)
!! Well that's the thing, as someone else has already said, "tea" (meaning dinner) is a northern thing, and even in the north may depend on circumstances. I mean you wouldn't say "I've booked for tea at 7 tonight at that wonderful Italian restaurant," or would you? And Lord and Lady So-and-so in their mansion up north would surely talk about tea at teatime, and dinner in the evening?

I have a sister living oop north and she has picked it up; the other day on skype she said "I don't know what to have for tea" and for a minute I was really bemused and nearly answered, "um, a cup of tea? and maybe a biscuit or two?" until i realised she meant supper (or dinner)!!

As for "afters" instead of "dessert," i rarely heard it growing up, nor did we say "pudding."

Ah, the regional variations in our wonderful language...I love it!

Yes, the variations are great. I am Scottish, although have been away for years, so I do get confused on my terminology.

Here are the meals I ate, at times:

Breakfast

Elevenses - Mid morning snack

Dinner at lunchtime, usually at Dinner School
Sandwiches, known as "pieces" would be in your "packed lunch" not your "packed dinner"

Afternoon Tea - Tea, sandwiches and scones

High Tea - Usually served mid to late afternoon and consisted of a light meal. Not to be confused with Afternoon Tea.

Tea - Evening meal. However, If I were going out for Tea, I would refer to it as "a meal". So I would book/reserve a table for a meal. I can't remember if we used the term "Dinner" when going out for a meal, but I call it dinner all the time now, even although it it referred to as "Supper" in Canada.

Supper - Evening snack, consisting of a piece/sandwich a/o biscuit, glass of milk or tea.

Kate Fox explains it very well in her book.:). Just to clarify, I didn't eat all of those meals everyday:lol:

WhoFan63 Mar 19th 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool (Post 10611369)
For anyone interested, a new documentary on the Queen broadcast recently on ITV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=exhbFPlPNLE#!

Thanks for posting that link.. I've just spend a wonderful one and a half hours watching it. How marvellous ! ) I must admit HM must be carrying a brick in her handbag because there is one scene where it makes a very audible THUMP as she puts in on the desk...lol

Loved every minute of it. :)

Perth Mar 19th 2013 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by WhoFan63 (Post 10612984)
Thanks for posting that link.. I've just spend a wonderful one and a half hours watching it. How marvellous ! ) I must admit HM must be carrying a brick in her handbag because there is one scene where it makes a very audible THUMP as she puts in on the desk...lol

Loved every minute of it. :)

:rofl: I didn't hear that! How funny :rofl: