British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

fulwood Sep 17th 2012 11:55 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Instant, Thanks so much! I think I may subscribe to this..

Mummy in the foothills Sep 18th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285771)
OMG! I had forgotten all about SOAP. Is that where Billy Crystal started out? I think Corrie has an appeal to many as it still has some humour in it. From what I understand, respected actors, like Sir Ian McKellan, have asked to have parts in the show because they recognize the quality of acting they have seen in the show.

It's in re runs right now on a new channel we have that only shows really old TV shows, it's called Antenna TV. I watched an episode on evening, flashbacks to my youth :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 18th 2012 12:51 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285898)
Curleytops, Can you fill me in on a Corrie question? Eileen appears to be working in the cab office again, how did that come about? Also, I see that Lloyd is back, what was the story behind that?

As you know, in Canada we were behind, but were quickly catching up. So between me leaving Calgary and eventually getting to Scotland I missed some events.

She lost her job in the factory.
If you go to youtube and watch you can catch up, But the title isn't Corrie or Coronation street. So it doesn't get removed. Shhh
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6 Newest at the top so scroll way down and it's all dated, and it stops for you to change to the next video when the commercials would normally play, not plonk in the middle of the show.

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10286073)
She lost her job in the factory.
If you go to youtube and watch you can catch up, But the title isn't Corrie or Coronation street. So it doesn't get removed. Shhh
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6 Newest at the top so scroll way down and it's all dated, and it stops for you to change to the next video when the commercials would normally play, not plonk in the middle of the show.

Thanks, I'll check that out.:)

curleytops Sep 18th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10285898)
Curleytops, Can you fill me in on a Corrie question? Eileen appears to be working in the cab office again, how did that come about? Also, I see that Lloyd is back, what was the story behind that?

As you know, in Canada we were behind, but were quickly catching up. So between me leaving Calgary and eventually getting to Scotland I missed some events.

Here's a quick re-cap put behind "curtains" just in case you opt to run through the you tube videos and don't want me spoiling them:

Spoiler:
Eileen was sacked from Underworld because she bunked off in the middle of a big order to attend Lesley's funeral. Lloyd returned to the scene after a chance meeting with Steve while driving for a rival cab firm. Apparently he'd gone away to visit family in Jamaica after his bust-up with Cheryl but had lost all his savings in a bad real estate deal in the Caribbean and had returned to the UK skint.

As an aside, Canada is now pretty much up to date with us (10 days behind - they really can't come any further forward) and are back to 30 minute episodes every night.

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 11:51 am

Thanks Curleytops. I had a look at the spoiler. All is well with the world now that Eileen is in charge of the cab office again.

Conversation this morning:

OH - Did you watch Downton Abbey last night?

Me - No. I watched George Gently and I'll watch Downton tonight.

OH - There's footy on tonight!

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

curleytops Sep 18th 2012 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10286796)
Thanks Curleytops. I had a look at the spoiler. All is well with the world now that Eileen is in charge of the cab office again.

Send him down to the pub to watch it :lol:

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10286066)
It's in re runs right now on a new channel we have that only shows really old TV shows, it's called Antenna TV. I watched an episode on evening, flashbacks to my youth :lol:

I wonder if you can watch them online. Not that I don't have enough stuff recorded already.:)

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10286931)
Send him down to the pub to watch it :lol:

Brilliant idea! :lol:

HOUSTON - Problem solved

jasper123 Sep 18th 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10286796)

Hello Ifi
After I had been back home for 6 months I had slowly got liking Corrie, and Emerdale, and Eastenders, now Im hooked on em all :) and me and Mum watch them together every night now,
But there are still a few programs on freeview that I like to watch but She does not, so my solution was to buy a nice new flat screen TV for the kitchen, I got an antenna put in the Loft, with the antenna wire connecting to the TV in Kitchen, So all the channels we get on the big TV in the living room we get on the smaller kitchen TV with also a perfect picture ----- perfect, so if theres something I want to watch and Mum dont, then I just retreat to the Kitchen :) also nice to be able to watch the News while Im cooking dinner ----- or watching the Lorraine show while eating my Porridge in morning ;)

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10287071)
Hello Ifi
After I had been back home for 6 months I had slowly got liking Corrie, and Emerdale, and Eastenders, now Im hooked on em all :) and me and Mum watch them together every night now,
But there are still a few programs on freeview that I like to watch but She does not, so my solution was to buy a nice new flat screen TV for the kitchen, I got an antenna put in the Loft, with the antenna wire connecting to the TV in Kitchen, So all the channels we get on the big TV in the living room we get on the smaller kitchen TV with also a perfect picture ----- perfect, so if theres something I want to watch and Mum dont, then I just retreat to the Kitchen :) also nice to be able to watch the News while Im cooking dinner ----- or watching the Lorraine show while eating my Porridge in morning ;)

Good to hear from you. Great minds think alike. We put a wee TV in the kitchen too, and like you, I like having it on when I am cooking, doing dishes etc. I even do my ironing in there too. The dilemma would be that OH would probably want to watch the footy on the larger screen in the living room and I like my creature comforts whilst enjoying a show such as Downton, so would also want to watch Downton in the LR. Therefore, I had a moment of panic, but all is resolved as he can either do as you suggest and watch the footy in the kitchen or he can go down the pub as Curleytops suggested. I might even give him some beer money from the housekeeping:lol:

Tonight the mobile chippy comes to the village so we will be "forced" to have fish and chips for dinner. My waistline is not going to be happy with this new Tuesday night tradition.:)

cheers Sep 18th 2012 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 10287071)
Hello Ifi

Little confusion here. The kitchen in my home in the UK is comparable to the family room in the US. Anyway I envision you sitting up on the sink watching TV.:lol:
Now you have me thinking of getting another TV for a bedroom were it would be more comfortable to watch. I have a big screen in a loft but there is nothing comfortable for me to sit on. Besides I can't watch TV for very long as it is.
Cheers

curleytops Sep 18th 2012 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10287107)
Good to hear from you. Great minds think alike. We put a wee TV in the kitchen too, and like you, I like having it on when I am cooking, doing dishes etc. I even do my ironing in there too. The dilemma would be that OH would probably want to watch the footy on the larger screen in the living room and I like my creature comforts whilst enjoying a show such as Downton, so would also want to watch Downton in the LR. Therefore, I had a moment of panic, but all is resolved as he can either do as you suggest and watch the footy in the kitchen or he can go down the pub as Curleytops suggested. I might even give him some beer money from the housekeeping:lol:

Tonight the mobile chippy comes to the village so we will be "forced" to have fish and chips for dinner. My waistline is not going to be happy with this new Tuesday night tradition.:)

Mobile chippy???? Wow that sounds great, I wonder if they have one in the village we are looking to move :huh: it would certainly ease my separation anxiety when it comes time to leave the old Sandgate chippy behind in Kent

lf1 Sep 18th 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by curleytops (Post 10287152)
Mobile chippy???? Wow that sounds great, I wonder if they have one in the village we are looking to move :huh: it would certainly ease my separation anxiety when it comes time to leave the old Sandgate chippy behind in Kent

Yes, isn't it great. I think it is a fairly new venture. He is based in Kelso and visits all the surrounding villages on different evenings. He seems to be well supported by the locals in our village. We also have a fish van that comes around, but I have yet to see it. Like a lot of other villages we also have a mobile library and I think it would be better for my waistline if I spent more time at the library and less time at the chippy.:lol:

Can't wait to hear how you get on with the property you are looking at.

sallysimmons Sep 18th 2012 3:37 pm

Yes, we have a mobile chippy too - also on Tuesday nights. I can't bring myself to go though as I need to lose some weight, not add more :lol:

I've seen the mobile chippy vans parked up in a few villages we've visited on our travels.

curleytops, I'm also keen to hear about the house. We're seeing another one tomorrow - this one really is out in the country. Although it's only a few miles from a town, when you're there, it's just you and the sheep. Seems fast internet may be on its way to the village so we decided to take a look at this house. Hope I don't fall in love and then have the Internet thing not happen.