Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 13th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Bevm
But too much humidity encourages mold, and that'll make you sick. I think the ideal is about 50%.

Dry air is bad. When we lived in cold places in Canada like Montreal and Ottawa it was a struggle to keep it at 40%, which the doctor said was the minimum for health. Forced hot air heating dries things out in no time. If we used the dryer, we covered the hose with a mesh and fed it into the house, and tried to remember to leave the water in the bath to cool down. A bit more moisture, and the heat in the house instead of down the drain.

Another green initiative!

Bev
When I first moved into my condo here in 2005 it was a very cold winter and very low humidity. I had brand new carpet and just switching on a light used to give me a slight electric shock - the air was so dry and static. I put bowls of water down all over the house to put some humidity in the air (it helped a little) but eventually got an April Aire humidifier attached to my furnace and it is so much better. I get sinus problems in the cold weather and the dry air used to make the problem worse.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Wonder why they have so few clothes and go out to buy more?

On drying clothes, anyone remember the racks in the kitchen that went up and down on pulleys? They were great, and I got one made when we were in our first house in Canada with a baby and no dryer. Hung it over a hot air vent and it worked a treat. Even in winter I could hang out the nappies, and the freezing solid dried them quite a bit. Then inside, thaw, and on the rack. A few other people copied it.

Now I wonder a bit about grease getting on the clothes, but perhaps grease doesn't rise? I don't know. I never noticed a problem. I think they should look at bringing them back as a "green initiative."

Bev
I have seen them for sale on Ebay!
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

On drying clothes, anyone remember the racks in the kitchen that went up and down on pulleys? They were great, and I got one made when we were in our first house in Canada with a baby and no dryer. Hung it over a hot air vent and it worked a treat. Even in winter I could hang out the nappies, and the freezing solid dried them quite a bit. Then inside, thaw, and on the rack. A few other people copied it.

Now I wonder a bit about grease getting on the clothes, but perhaps grease doesn't rise? I don't know. I never noticed a problem. I think they should look at bringing them back as a "green initiative."

Bev
When I was in halls at university, the laundry had a twin-tub, a mangle and those drying racks on pulleys. They worked great, they should bring back the mangle as a green alternative as well.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
When I was in halls at university, the laundry had a twin-tub, a mangle and those drying racks on pulleys. They worked great, they should bring back the mangle as a green alternative as well.
Yeah, I loved the mangle my mum used when I was younger. Still remember the pain when my thumb jammed in it when I was "helping" her to wring the water out of the sheets
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Health and safety probably wouldn't allow it these days. Might get something caught in it. (Isn't there a song about that?)

And yes, not only green but healthy too - more physical activity, less automation! (I'm lying on the sofa typing this, how ironic).
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Health and safety probably wouldn't allow it these days. Might get something caught in it. (Isn't there a song about that?)

And yes, not only green but healthy too - more physical activity, less automation! (I'm lying on the sofa typing this, how ironic).
See my post above
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:17 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
See my post above
Yes, I spotted it after I had submitted - but the song I was thinking of didn't say anything about a thumb ...
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Yes, I spotted it after I had submitted - but the song I was thinking of didn't say anything about a thumb ...
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha Derek and Clive, had forgotten that one
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:25 pm
Ping-ponger

Ha ha Derek and Clive, had forgotten that one
That's it, I knew I remembered something right! Poor old Auntie Mabel!

I still have the original vinyl Derek and Clive record in a box in the attic ... worth about 99 pence on eBay, but priceless
Old Oct 13th 2012, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's it, I knew I remembered something right! Poor old Auntie Mabel!

I still have the original vinyl Derek and Clive record in a box in the attic ... worth about 99 pence on eBay, but priceless
Is that all it's worth? I thought we'd be seeing you on 'Cash in the Attic'
Old Oct 13th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, see my Avatar for Tuesday
John & June
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yeah, I loved the mangle my mum used when I was younger. Still remember the pain when my thumb jammed in it when I was "helping" her to wring the water out of the sheets
I well remember those, both the pulley drier, which we had in the living room above the fire, clothes were high up so no fire risk, and the old fashioned hand operated mangle, which my sister and I loved to use, well she did till I got her hand stuck in it..
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Rodney, see my Avatar for Tuesday
John & June
Got it, thanks for posting your pictures, so now I wont have to look stupid asking every couple in the Pub ----- are you John and June?
see you on Tuesday, and have a nice drive down here from Norfolk,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 12:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Got it, thanks for posting your pictures, so now I wont have to look stupid asking every couple in the Pub ----- are you John and June?
see you on Tuesday, and have a nice drive down here from Norfolk,
Take care,
Rodney.
I must have very bad eyes, I need a magnifying glass to see the little Avi pictures
Have fun at the pub you three!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.