Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
Curley you can update your Avatar now. Are you in Scarborough today?
Not yet Cheers and the way this move's been going I don't dare tempt fate and jump the gun. We're going up on Monday, furniture arrives Tuesday morning. There shouldn't be any interruption in internet service as when we checked with BT there's a line already into the house and the change order's in place for Monday. The house is in a bit of a "black hole" for regular DSL speed but we'll only have to put up with that for a few days as they're going to upgrade us to BT Infinity as soon as they can get an engineer out there
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
A lady should never part with her knitting needles! I too, love those books that show the stitches and can't wait until my needles and wool get here so I can start to knit again. It will keep me off the iPad!
I'm with you guys. I am definitely keeping my knitting needles, and my Mum's. I like the metal needles. Now they seem to be made out of all sorts of other materials, and at ridiculous prices.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Although I've been in the States for 21 years, I have moved every couple of years and so am pleased to say I don't have a lot of clutter. The things I own, I have because I love them or they are useful. I don't see leaving them behind.

I am not really in a place where I feel I am starting a new life - this is a continuation of the life I have so I'm not inclined to make a clean sweep of things. There are a few things that are easily replaceable but things like my dining room table that my kids grew up at and every one of my friends has sat around is coming with me. I have a few pieces of furniture that have been with me since we arrived and are part of the family so they're coming too.

I can certainly weed out some of the fabric stash but most of it is coming with me. It would cost a fortune to replace it and 99.99% couldn't be replaced at all. If I was going to give up quilting then I'd consider leaving it behind but it's what I do! I do have a lot of notions that I only use every now and then and a ridiculous number of pairs of scissors (42 at last count) so I can probably off load some of them. I work for a company that distributes fabric, books, patterns and notions to quilt stores so I have a lot of stuff. I give a lot of the samples away to store owners, but for some reason I can't part with scissors!

Of course, anything can change.....
I so relate to this. It's a really good job I don't work for a similar company!

Yes, lots of scissors but all different... dressmaking shears, pinking shears, rounded points, pointed ones, etc. I know you know what I mean. I am bringing all me many threads too. At $2-3 a spool it would be expensive to replace them all and It's nice to know that I have most of the colours I need. They don't take up much room.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I'm with you guys. I am definitely keeping my knitting needles, and my Mum's. I like the metal needles. Now they seem to be made out of all sorts of other materials, and at ridiculous prices.
Agreed. My Mum's old knitting needles are still sitting in the linen closet in Canada and I think I'll get Dad to bring them over with him next year. She had some lovely old knitting patterns too - she made my Dad this beautiful red cabled jumper when I was very young and earlier this summer I had Dad email me a copy of the pattern - so now, 50 years later, hubby has a jumper just like my Dad had.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:29 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

I so relate to this. It's a really good job I don't work for a similar company!

Yes, lots of scissors but all different... dressmaking shears, pinking shears, rounded points, pointed ones, etc. I know you know what I mean. I am bringing all me many threads too. At $2-3 a spool it would be expensive to replace them all and It's nice to know that I have most of the colours I need. They don't take up much room.
I don't own any pinking shears! I don't know how that has happened. I do have a rotary cutter with a pinking blade though. I have an embarrassing number of rotary cutters too.

I buy the threads I like from the company I work for when they go on sale so I have many, many boxes because I have to buy them in the quantities they come boxed in for wholesale - usually 5 or 6 to a box. Love them all, use them all.

I tend to buy yarn for specific projects so that's not so overwhelming as the fabric stash and it will probably all get knitted up this winter. Well, that's the plan anyway!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:45 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Agreed. My Mum's old knitting needles are still sitting in the linen closet in Canada and I think I'll get Dad to bring them over with him next year. She had some lovely old knitting patterns too - she made my Dad this beautiful red cabled jumper when I was very young and earlier this summer I had Dad email me a copy of the pattern - so now, 50 years later, hubby has a jumper just like my Dad had.
I still have all the metal needles I grew up with. They came with me when I moved over here so I daresay they will be going home too!

Love that you knitted your hubby a jumper like your dad's. My mum knitted my dad a plain dark red jumper that he used to wear in the garden with his wellies. When he died, we thought about him wearing it to his funeral but realized he would have been mortified as it was rather tatty. So we still have it :0 He had enormous feet that were always cold so I knitted him a pair of socks when I was a teenager. It was a real labour of love as they took me forever. Then my mother put them in the washing machine......

My mother knitted my sister a big aran cardigan/coat like thing when she was at college and now my niece wants one but we can't find the pattern. Think it was in a Woman's Own magazine or something like that.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have some bamboo ones that are really comfortable to knit with, I'm starting to like them more than my metal ones. Nice a quiet too so I can watch TV at the same time
Most precious are my Bamboo circular needles, I love making hats with them.
I buy all kinds cheap at the thrift store too.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
My mother knitted my sister a big aran cardigan/coat like thing when she was at college and now my niece wants one but we can't find the pattern. Think it was in a Woman's Own magazine or something like that.
Try googling Free knitting patterns aran cardie coat or variations on the title and you'll find all kinds to print off.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

It might tell you on the serial number plate or the plug itself if the machine is dual voltage. Let me know, I'm curious now too
The plate on the machine says 112v but the plate on the pedal says 240v . I did download a service manual but an electrician I am not. The diagrams were full of sine waves etc. but it did talk about dual voltage. We shall see.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Try googling Free knitting patterns aran cardie coat or variations on the title and you'll find all kinds to print off.
www.ravelry.com is THE knitting site. Well organised and thousands of patterns. I think they only accept new members at certain times. A quick search on there seems to end up in hours of time exploring!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:08 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Aww. That is lovely. I love cables.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:27 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was out singing last night, so I missed this important discussion on knitting, so here is my tuppence worth.

Here is a link to a pretty good site for free patterns http://www.garnstudio.com/

My favourite needles are my straight Addis, but like MITF, I also like my bamboo needles. When I was in Canada, some people used to tease me about the way I held my needles. I keep my right needle held firmly under my arm. Is that a Scottish trait or is it British? I think it is completely normal.

Cardienscarf, I worked, part time in a yarn store, and spent more money on yarn than I was earning. So I understand you scissor collection. I just couldn't resist some of the beautiful colours and feel of the yarn.

Bandrui, I haven't been on Ravelry for ages. I must have a wee browse.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I tried it on your Avatar and it didn't work.
I wanted to see you in your RAF uniform. That would be interesting.
While we are on the subject.........do they still sell Bryl Cream, for the hair, over there. Also another item I was thinking about, do they still sell toothpaste in a can. The can looked like the shape of a can of shoe polish. So you took your toothbrush and ran it around in the can and brushed your teeth (tooth.
Just wondering.

Cheers
Yes Brylcreem is still around, but haven't seen toothpaste in a tin - maybe in Thailand! Found the RAF shot I was looking for, so here it is. I was just 20 at that time. Click on it, to enlarge it!!! Love Don
Attached Thumbnails Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up-don1950.jpg  

Last edited by dontheturner; Oct 26th 2012 at 7:44 am.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Don't use anything and haven't for years. Come to think of it, that is the trend today. Run your fingers through your hair and then put some spray on it. Rod Stewart style.
http://www.facebook.com/rodstewart
or do you think I look like Roger Moore with the Bryl Cream?
[/url]
Hair Spray? I think not! Hair spray is dangerous, isn't it? Surely Hair gel!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:01 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Occasionally, my mum used to use toothpaste in a tin. I can't remember the brand name, but it smelled like Germoline (winter green) and was pink, I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.