Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by lf1
When I was in Canada, some people used to tease me about the way I held my needles. I keep my right needle held firmly under my arm. Is that a Scottish trait or is it British? I think it is completely normal.
Funny you should menion that... I keep my right needle under my arm too. My Mother did, so that was what I learnt. There was a knitting guru (can't remember her name) who came to the island to give a talk and I asked her if she knew where this came from. She said it was from the Irish production knitters. I found that fascinating.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 8:53 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Funny you should menion that... I keep my right needle under my arm too. My Mother did, so that was what I learnt. There was a knitting guru (can't remember her name) who came to the island to give a talk and I asked her if she knew where this came from. She said it was from the Irish production knitters. I found that fascinating.
My mum and gran did too. I think that is why I don't care for circular knitting, because I like to have a needle under my right arm. Somebody once told me it was wrong!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Bandrui, If1 - Thanks for the great links, I've got my next project all picked out!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:05 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Bandrui, If1 - Thanks for the great links, I've got my next project all picked out!
Are you going to share it with us, or is that classified information?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Are you going to share it with us, or is that classified information?
Of course
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/pa...d=5587&lang=en
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:11 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

For those that have already returned, has anyone come across the large containers of vinegar? I am just about to make homemade daily shower cleaner and I have to buy small bottles from the supermarket as I can't find the large containers?

Also, is Borax readily available? I haven't seen it either.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:14 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
That is very pretty. I am not going to start any large projects until I have finished the ones that I have already set aside. All this talk of knitting makes me want to get started on a project. I want my knitting needles NOW!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
For those that have already returned, has anyone come across the large containers of vinegar? I am just about to make homemade daily shower cleaner and I have to buy small bottles from the supermarket as I can't find the large containers?

This comes up from time to time on the forums over at monesavingsexpert (where they are huge fans of using vinegar for all sorts of household tasks) and the advice is usually to try Costco if you have one near by, or a Chinese or Asian supermarket. You could probably order it on line too...

Here's a recent thread which talks about where you can get hold of Borax... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ighlight=borax
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:05 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I am bringing all me many threads too. At $2-3 a spool it would be expensive to replace them all and It's nice to know that I have most of the colours I need. They don't take up much room.
I've kept all mine. I have one that's on a wooden spool that I kept from my mother's collection when she died. Just a bit of nostalgia. I haven't done much sewing since I came back because there's never been a convenient fabric store to tempt me. Just alterations and mending.

Bev
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Does that enable one-handed knitting? I've heard of that. Means the knitter can do something else and the same time, whether rock the cradle or turn the page of a book.

Bev
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:17 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by lf1

I found a large container of white vinegar in a local greengrocers, but it wasn't as cheap as in north America. I think you can order borax through Boots. I got a litre of ammonia that way.

I found a large container of isopropyl alcohol from a car detailing place on line, so you might want to search. I use that to make my own spray cleaner.

Bev
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:44 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
This comes up from time to time on the forums over at monesavingsexpert (where they are huge fans of using vinegar for all sorts of household tasks) and the advice is usually to try Costco if you have one near by, or a Chinese or Asian supermarket. You could probably order it on line too...

Here's a recent thread which talks about where you can get hold of Borax... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ighlight=borax
Thanks Rebs. I think I will have to order online or visit Edinburgh.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:10 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bevm
I've kept all mine. I have one that's on a wooden spool that I kept from my mother's collection when she died. Just a bit of nostalgia. I haven't done much sewing since I came back because there's never been a convenient fabric store to tempt me. Just alterations and mending.

Bev
May I send you some items to be altered? I bought a couple of athletic tops, on sale, which will come in handy for hill walking. Anyway, I took them into a local seamstress, to have the sleeves shortened, on 6 Sept. After 4 weeks, I called to find out if they were ready. No, but she was just about to attend to them. Still no word. Fortunately, I don't need them right away, but even for an area where things are done at slower pace, I think I have been more than patient.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1

here you go, mail order, no idea of the cost to send.
http://www.summernaturals.co.uk/inde...roducts_id=341
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Occasionally, my mum used to use toothpaste in a tin. I can't remember the brand name, but it smelled like Germoline (winter green) and was pink, I think.
I remember it was pink. Did it have a name like McCleen or something similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.