Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 21st 2012, 3:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by beth1979
Hi, hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm moving to Suffolk (am a Brit) after 20 years Singapore and 10 in Canada. How do you find settling after such a long time. I'm looking forward to it, but must admit I'm a wee bit scared Beth
Hi Beth1979, welcome. I think settling in will be different for all of us, depending on our circumstances. We have moved to an area new to us, so we don't have family and friends to help us with the transition so I have felt a little displaced at times. Having said that, if I had moved back to my home town most of my friends and family have moved away anyway.

We have been very fortunate in that the locals have made us feel very welcome and have included us in local activities, so my social life is busier than ever. I am enjoying rediscovering the things I took for granted and today we have been enjoying glorious sunshine and the autumn colours.

Best of luck with your move.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:34 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hi Beth and Cardienscarf and welcome!

I do think it's a good idea to save up a little back-up money as it's very hard to come home and start again when you have nothing. That said, I also think its important not to wait too long if you don't have to.

Life has a way of throwing surprises at you and I think Trotty, who started this thread, is a good example of that. I hope she doesn't mind me talking about her, but after waiting and waiting to come home, and then putting her house on the market and it not selling for years, and then finally dropping the price and selling it, she fell ill and still hasn't been able to leave.

Also I know our good friend Fish was about to leave America when his parents got ill and he was forced to stay. He also hasn't been able to leave yet.

Finally, my SIL who is 50 suddenly became ill with a rare brain disease. She went from being a busy mother and career woman to being invalided at home with all kinds of physical problems. One day she was healthy, the next her life had changed forever.

These stories spurred me and my husband on and made us determined to get home as fast as we could once the decisions was made. We did save up some back-up money first - I wanted to save more but I just didn't feel we had the luxury of time.

So I don't really know what I'm saying except don't make plans thinking that life goes on forever just as it is today. If you know you want to come home, see what you can do to make that a reality sooner rather than later (for example, if you can work overtime, or take a second job, or marry a millionaire () do it!)
Hello Sally,

I've been reading and catching up on your blog for the last couple of weeks - nice to 'meet' you now! I love the area you are in - not that I know it very well. My son has a good friend from uni who lives outside Harrogate and we stopped overnight there last year driving from Scotland to Essex. I fell in love with the landscape.

I definitely don't want to wait for a crisis on either side of the pond to make me stay or go. My eldest son's bother-in-law was killed in the Aurora Theatre shooting in July and, before I knew he was involved, I thought - right Matthew, we are out of here. Then, when I called him to make sure he was safe I found out Alex was missing, things took a different turn.

I can't say that was a good experience, but it certainly made me think about family and belonging. I spent a lot of time with the in-laws in the following weeks and I came to feel more at home with them than I have in the last 5 years living here. They are lovely people but, while they've always treated me like family, it's not the same as my own. They are Matthew's family though and now I know how well he gets on with them, and how much they love him, I can rest easy knowing that they will be there for him when I leave and in the future. He'll never replace the son they've lost and I don't think there's even any thought of that but I know how much they like having him around. He and Megan might decide to come over to England, but I can't see that happening for at least a couple of years now. To be honest, I don't really see Megan leaving her parents.

I've felt so empty here for so long now. I have some lovely friends and I live in a beautiful place but I look at the mountains and think - I want green rolling hills. And the sea!!! While my boys were still at school, I just got on with things but they're 24 and 26 now and living their own lives which is as it should be, so it's time for me to live mine.

Spring next year seems about right to me. I have a house to sell and I'm confident it will sell quickly which will give me a deposit for a little place in England. I don't want to whittle that away while I look for a job, so I can happily scrimp and scrape now to have some extra cash then. I've also stopped contributing so much to my 401K as I don't want to touch that until 59-1/2. I've cut back my contributions to meet the company's matching criteria so that will boost my ready cash. And I've stopped making extra mortgage payments each month as I now know I won't be staying here long enough to pay off the mortgage.

I won't be sorry to leave my job. I am a sales rep for a company that distributes fabric, books, patterns and notions to quilt stores. I am so not a sales person! The only reason I've been successful I think is because I love fabric and (most of) the store owners I visit. It's been good to me and I've seen parts of the country not many people get to see but I am all done with driving 800-1000 miles a week and staying in hotels. I can keep at it for a few more months but it will be a happy day when I pass my samples on to someone else! I also teach machine quilting classes at a couple of the stores near me so I can probably add a few more classes which will add to the coffers. I won't be arriving broke but I won't have an endless supply of readies. Now, if I could just find that millionaire
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:55 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
feelbritish,
What you say here makes a lot of sense,
Timing is so important, everyone has to pick there own time to come home, all our circumstances are so different from each other, but we all share the same desire to come back home to our roots, our home, this special place where it all started, where we were born and where we have all our memories of growing up,
When we are in our adoptive countries living our life, and the years seem to go by so quickly and suddenly we see ourselves getting older,
With me I woke up one morning and I was in the bathroom shaving and I looked at my face and realized I was now 64, well I came to the U.S. when I was 29 and I thought about that Paul McCartney song (will you still need me will you still feed me when Im 64) well I dont know why but at that moment I decided to come home to England, I still had some family left in UK, none in the US,
I wanted to come home and spend some time with my Mum she is 93 now,
but I needed to wait one more year until I became 65 because I did not want to come home if I had to join the masses of unemployed in trying to find a Job, too many hardships and problems, especially when your older, I wanted to come home and be retired from then on,
So I had a year to plan my move, I did though later regret waiting that year as after I came home only two months went by and my Sister passed away of lung cancer, exactly one month after her 69th birthday, but altough she was living in a different part of U.K. I was able to see her a few times, im thankful for that,

(WELCOME to the new people cardienscarf and beth1979)

I wish you both lots of luck in your preparations to come home, there is a lot to do, and a lot we have to think about, the best way and what I did and many others have done is make a list of EVERYTHING that has to be done before you can leave to come back home, and tick each thing off one at a time as you go through the list, I found my hardest chore and most time consuming was declutering!!!! sorting through all the stuff that we all have collected through all those years,
put everything in 3 piles, one pile to keep and take with you, this should indeed be the shortest pile possible, you have to be quite ruthless in what you keep and chuck,
then the 2nd pile for all the clothes and stuff you want to donate, and finally the 3rd pile for stuff that you may want to try and sale or give away to friends,
and then whatever is left over and you feel is just a whole lot of junk that you have had for years that means nothing to you, well I had a lot and just tossed it all!!!!

But there are a lot of things to do, and you will find that your (to do) list gets even bigger as you think of other things,
you see its such a permanent move that you just cant afford to forget anything, cause when you finally get on that plane and wave good bye to a place that was indeed your home for a very long time ---- your mind needs to be clear, and you are confident that you can now look forward to the long flight being over ----- and as you look down at the lovely green green grass of home, the U.K. countryside as you come closer and closer to land and you think WOW Im actually home, and home for good this time ----- not just for a holiday no more tearful goodbyes, your home for good!!! oh what a feeling that is, and you really dont get that feeling until your plane touches down on British Soil

I felt it was important for me to apply for American Citizenship before I came home, funny really, waiting till I decide to come home to do it, I mean I waited 36 years, kind of makes you think that although you regarded it as your home and all those years you were reasonably happy but still stayed in a green card status, so maybe back in our minds we always knew it really wasn't our home at all, just somewhere where we hung our hat for a good part of our lives anyway I just think that we all need to keep that option open, where we can always come back anytime, after we give it our best shot and if it just dont work out here in U.K.
cause you never know do you, nothing is ever forged in stone, things happen, we may change our minds no matter how sure we are when we get on that plane,
So for that reason I feel it is important also to not burn any bridges, and I keep an American bank account open,

and also I still keep my U.S. drivers licence re-newed,

and also to have a really good friend in U.S. to agree for you using there address as your U.S. mailing address,

and keep filing your U.S. taxes every year, even if like me you owe nothing, you can do that free on line from the main U.S. IRS site,

And before you leave make sure you go into your Bank in U.S. and talk to a supervisor and tell them you are going to be living overseas for a while, then make sure they enter that info into there system, otherwise if you dont do that when you try and use your debit card in U.K. you will find that your account will be blocked for your own protection, a problem you will not want to deal with as soon as you come back home.

and when you sell your car make sure you dont forget to take your licence plates back to DMV and show them proof of the sale of car to prove you no longer own it, all this has to be logged into there system, and make sure they do it!!!!

There is so much more you have to do before leaving, and a lot of these things can only really be done in the last few weeks or even days before you leave the country, and because of that it all can feel very mind boggling even though you are ticking everything off your list as you go, you think to yourself what if I forgot something important to take care of? and then the emotions start to kick in as you think about what it all will be like when you come home, life can be very hectic in the last few weeks or days before you make your carefully planned departure.

But hey when you are home and you start settling in to your new life you will find that all the work you did to make this all possible was certainly worth it all, and you will feel free and as you slowly get into your life over here you will I think, as I did, feel a deep sigh of relief that (YOU REALLY DID IT) ---- and you will feel very happy and contented as I do,
I am just coming up to my anniversary, next month will be my first two years at home, I think I will take Mum out for a nice dinner somewhere nice and celebrate
Good luck everyone!!!!
Rodney.
PS and yes as feelbritish says you really do need to get your finances sorted out, it is very important to really think and work out the minimum amount of money you will need to get established here, i.e. if you have to find a flat or house to rent, how much will you need to have, even finding a place temporarily to live in the area that you want to settle in, rent isn't cheap here, and if you have no income and need to find work, you will need a good 6 months at least of rent money, remember finding a job here is just as hard as finding a job in the U.S.
life here would be real tough with no money in your bank account, especially if you have no friends or family here, and you are entirely on your own, you and your partner, yes there is a safety net here provided by the UK government, but if you have no money saved you will feel a lot more lonely here, and you will be unhappy with no security,
Dont get me wrong anybody, Im not saying that everyone needs £100k to come home with but if you dont have family over here to put you up for a while until you get on your feet and you are compleatly on your own then I feel that you would need at least £5,000,much better if possible to have £10,000, Ihad a place to live where I did not have to worry about rent ---- so I was very lucky but I still had $5,000 to come back with, about £3,000 or so,
Thank you for the welcome and - what a lovely post! I am so glad you have found your home. You sound so contented and peaceful.

And thank you for the tips on how much money to come back with. I won't have 100K in either currency, but I have put a plan in place to make sure I'm not broke either. I can stay with my mother while I get sorted but that won't be a long term situation!

My family and friends are mostly in Essex but it's not my favourite part of the world. I do love Suffolk though so I might look around there - still close enough. I also love Edinburgh and could see myself up there. I lived in Sussex before I came to the States but, while I love it there I think going back there would feel like going back and I want to move forward.

Family, friends, a bit of countryside, the sea, a job that doesn't sap me dry, a good local pub. Sounds lovely to me
Old Oct 21st 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf

Family, friends, a bit of countryside, the sea, a job that doesn't sap me dry, a good local pub. Sounds lovely to me
Well Cardi, that just about sums it up dont it
Your be alright, I like your attitude
Old Oct 21st 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Cardi, we were in Essex on holiday in May this year, staying in the countryside near Halstead and loved it. Our family is based there but of course closer to London and tbh that was the Essex I remember (almost an extension of London) and I never did like it but once we stayed in countryside and our gps sent us on some wonderful trips around the small villages like Finchingfield and some others that my OH had never heard of, we thought it was really nice. Beauty of Essex is that it has a huge variety of houses and prices and good connections to London and other larger cities for jobs plus the beaches are also close by.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Cardi, we were in Essex on holiday in May this year, staying in the countryside near Halstead and loved it. Our family is based there but of course closer to London and tbh that was the Essex I remember (almost an extension of London) and I never did like it but once we stayed in countryside and our gps sent us on some wonderful trips around the small villages like Finchingfield and some others that my OH had never heard of, we thought it was really nice. Beauty of Essex is that it has a huge variety of houses and prices and good connections to London and other larger cities for jobs plus the beaches are also close by.
I grew up in Colchester and it's where most of my family and friends are. I'm not fond of the town but you don't have to go far to find lovely places. I went to school in Halstead for one year when I was 11 but haven't been there for years. Went to Braintree college for my A levels but haven't been there for years either. Went to Harwich for the day in September - rather liked it there. Got my eye on the Woodbridge area too. There are so many beautiful places to live....
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I know the feeling, I am also impatient and my OH is helps me be reasonable and will not budge on our returning date, when he retires! So I am being patient. As If and Curleytops say, planning is important and we have already been selling stuff on Craig's list - amazing what people will buy - and I am also starting to scan all photos and docs onto disks. Just planning to go back keeps me happy at the moment! And chatting on these boards
Hi fb, Wondered what kind of scanner you used for your photos? I have a scanner but the thought of doing them one by one is a bit much. I was thinking of looking for a photo scanner that will take a stack at a time.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Hi Tina,

do you drive in France? The area that I am in doesn't really have a lot of traffice, relatively speaking. The closest town has one traffic light! I need to get used to the scale of the road & cars. Passing on two lane roads is one of my least favourite things to do, but I am getting better at it and I am also managing a decent speed on the country roads. Dreading the day when I have to hit a pheasant rather than cause an accident. I wish they had more road sense!
I don't drive in France--we live in the middle of a city, so I don't need to usually, and when we do go on trips, my husband drives, because the company car is a manual! And in the States all those years I only drove an automatic.

This sounds wimpy, I do realise. But I learnt to drive later in life--in my thirties-- and was never that confident.

Sounds as if you're doing great!

Tina
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:50 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi fb, Wondered what kind of scanner you used for your photos? I have a scanner but the thought of doing them one by one is a bit much. I was thinking of looking for a photo scanner that will take a stack at a time.
Bandrui, I used my regular copier/printer/scanner, but only for my really precious black & white family photos. It took a long time, so for the photos from 80's onwards, I sent them out to be scanned. This was less than buying the sort of machine you mentioned, but prices may have come down since I last looked.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:53 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
I don't drive in France--we live in the middle of a city, so I don't need to usually, and when we do go on trips, my husband drives, because the company car is a manual! And in the States all those years I only drove an automatic.

This sounds wimpy, I do realise. But I learnt to drive later in life--in my thirties-- and was never that confident.

Sounds as if you're doing great!

Tina
Doesn't sound wimpy at all. I am an automatic girl too and thankfully they are more popular in the UK these days, so I have managed to find a second hand car that I feel more comfortable driving.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Bandrui - Check your photo editing software if you have one to see if you can scan photos from within the program itself. There are programs available that will allow you to "batch scan" multiple photos and will separate each photo, assign individual file names and straighten the photos if necessary. Adobe Photoshop Elements is one such program - here's a link that walks you through the process:

http://millie.furman.edu/mll/tutoria...ipleimages.pdf

If you don't have that program and want it you can always download a 30-day trial. This saves heaps of time!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got out and about and took some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7631528688765/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7631810897924/

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:30 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Lovely pics
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 12:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
Hello Sally,

I've been reading and catching up on your blog for the last couple of weeks - nice to 'meet' you now! I love the area you are in - not that I know it very well. My son has a good friend from uni who lives outside Harrogate and we stopped overnight there last year driving from Scotland to Essex. I fell in love with the landscape.

I definitely don't want to wait for a crisis on either side of the pond to make me stay or go. My eldest son's bother-in-law was killed in the Aurora Theatre shooting in July and, before I knew he was involved, I thought - right Matthew, we are out of here. Then, when I called him to make sure he was safe I found out Alex was missing, things took a different turn.
Oh how awful. I'm so sorry.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I have been taking digital photos of them and generally tidying up computer photos of which we must have about 4000 or so on Finepix lol and putting them into categories, keeping the best ones only especially of our lives here in Canada, we have some lovely ones

I don't think I can part with some of my old albums from my childhood, will just have to pack that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.