Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers
Rain Las Vegas today!
I know my Mum is visiting Vegas at the moment and she text me to say it's raining. I was I'll meet her in San Francisco on Sunday, knowing my luck it'll be raining then too.
We are expecting showers this afternoon. Can't wait.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Has anyone been watching "The Paradise" on BBC1 Tuesday nights? Hard to believe the uppity Ladies' wear manager is none other than Corrie's Raquel Watts.
I have recorded it, but haven't got around to watching it yet. Is is good?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Rain Las Vegas today!
RAIN, DID YOU SAY RAIN? WOW!!! well thats a little of there 3 inches that they get every year I suppose,
and all day long its been raining here down south, and I love it always will,
still cant get enough, and Ive only been home just short of 2 years already, I wonder if I will feel the same about the great British weather in say 10 years from now, Hmm me thinks I hope Im still around then, Ill be 77 then, hey thats lucky right?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
RAIN, DID YOU SAY RAIN? WOW!!! well thats a little of there 3 inches that they get every year I suppose,
still cant get enough, and Ive only been home just short of 2 years already, I wonder if I will feel the same about the great British weather in say 10 years from now, Hmm me thinks I hope Im still around then, Ill be 77 then, hey thats lucky right?
At 77 will you care? Chances are so long as the house is kept warm you won't mind staying in on rainy days
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember in the UK when your clothes never got dry because of the damp. I don't know whether thinks have changed.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I have recorded it, but haven't got around to watching it yet. Is is good?
I'm enjoying it. Quite a twist in the latest episode but I'll say no more
Old Oct 12th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

I can remember in the UK when your clothes never got dry because of the damp. I don't know whether thinks have changed.
Yes - they changed after the War.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose not but we've really not had such a wet time of it where I am. We've had a string of nice days lately, then yesterday was grey and cloudy. It rained over night but now this morning the clouds are breaking up again and the blue sky is coming through. I'm beginning to think Harrogate has its own microclimate.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I suppose not but we've really not had such a wet time of it where I am. We've had a string of nice days lately, then yesterday was grey and cloudy. It rained over night but now this morning the clouds are breaking up again and the blue sky is coming through. I'm beginning to think Harrogate has its own microclimate.
Same here in Pompey Sally, it rained all day yesterday pretty much, and cloudy, but today WOW the sky is a lovely blue with just a few white fluffy clouds around and the sun is shining brightly just a little breeze, but in the shade its quite chilly though, and my washing is on the line in the back garden getting dry nicely,
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi cheers,
So far I have not had any problems drying my clothes, if its a nice day I peg them up on the back garden line, and normally there dry in a few hours, winter or summer, and if its one of my favorite rainy days then I take them straight out of the washing machine and put them on the clothes horse, and I just leave em in the kitchen, plenty of room, and there always dry by dinner time
Me and Mum were thinking of buying a dryer but decided that it really wasn't needed.
And they announced yesterday that all the many power companies over here are putting up there Gas and Electricity prices by 6% and some others by 9% they seem to be going up all the time here, since Ive been home I can remember power costs have gone up twice already in just two years this is the third increase, British Gas announced also yesterday that they made £184 million pounds last year and expect to make even more this year,
Hows that for a slap in the face to all the British public,
Oil companies do the same thing dont they, when they announce a raise in petrol prices they always in the same breath tell us the enormous profit they made that year, they do the same thing in the States, they sure do have nerve dont they, to me its like laughing at the public and saying well theres nothing you can do about it anyway is there?
they seem to be even more greedy over here then the U.S.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 12:27 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I'm enjoying it. Quite a twist in the latest episode but I'll say no more
I've watched two episodes and it's okay, but I keep feeling I've missed some episodes. Like the lad in the last episode. Was he in the first? I don't remember him, but as his story seems important, it was odd.

I hope every episode isn't going to bring in something new out of the blue.

It's apparently based on a novel by Emil Zola (the BBC seems to think it can't do period drama unless based on an old novel) with everything changed to England.

I also suspect I'm going to get tired of "Saint" Denise. Give her some flaws, please!

Bev
Old Oct 12th 2012, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I've watched two episodes and it's okay, but I keep feeling I've missed some episodes. Like the lad in the last episode. Was he in the first? I don't remember him, but as his story seems important, it was odd.

I hope every episode isn't going to bring in something new out of the blue.

It's apparently based on a novel by Emil Zola (the BBC seems to think it can't do period drama unless based on an old novel) with everything changed to England.

I also suspect I'm going to get tired of "Saint" Denise. Give her some flaws, please!

Bev
Yes the young fellow's been in the story from the start and I think there's more coming there. As for Denise, I think she could be full of surprises.
Spoiler:
She's obviously a good manipulator if you recall how she planted her idea into the lady friend's head about the children's department for the store after being told not to get any more bright ideas.
I agree with you re BBC and their dependence on old novel adaptations. Could you ever see them doing a Downton? Unlikely IMO.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cheers,
So far I have not had any problems drying my clothes,

And they announced yesterday that all the many power companies over here are putting up there Gas and Electricity prices they seem to be even more greedy over here then the U.S.
8:30 am here.
Thunder and lightening and some small hail.
I turned on the TV at about 7:30 am and I turned it off after about 20 minutes because I've got better things to do than watch commercials all day. It seemed really bad this morning. No wonder people are turning to computers for information. I know this was a pet peeve of yours about US TV.

OK on the home gas prices...Can you believe the gas company here have put in requests to the regulators twice in the last year to lower the price of gas to households. Are they insane ?? It is because the price they pay for natural gas has gone down so much. I think they have to lower the price because the state watches their profits and they would have something to say if they get too high. My last bill was £8.67 for the month.

Two things I don't understand here. One, people wash their dishes and then put them in the automatic dishwasher???? Why???
Two. It can be 104 degrees outside but they still take their washing out of the washer and put them in the dryer. I know in most areas it is frowned upon to hang your washing outside. I don't get it.

End of rant. TV, washing and dishes.

Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2012, 5:33 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Same here in Pompey Sally, it rained all day yesterday pretty much, and cloudy, but today WOW the sky is a lovely blue with just a few white fluffy clouds around and the sun is shining brightly just a little breeze, but in the shade its quite chilly though, and my washing is on the line in the back garden getting dry nicely,
Neighbour has her washing on the line today, 7th day in a row, and it's the same washing put out last Friday, she's just never taken it in, it's been dry, then wet, then even wetter, and it's probably getting dryer toay.. again..
Old Oct 12th 2012, 6:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I find the damp washing thing is a problem in the summer. In the winter, I put it on the radiators - 24 hrs later bone dry. In the summer, if it rains there's no CH on, so I hang it on indoor racks. THEN it sometimes takes an eternity to dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.