Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's pretty miserable here, but if I describe it, you might cool down

It's been raining non-stop for 48 hours and it's cold. The sky is a slate grey. Our roads are clear but a few villages round here have been flooded. Yesterday I managed not to set foot outside all day, but today I have to go to the supermarket and we need to go out tonight for a house viewing. It's the kind of rain that no amount of coat can spare you from, so we will be very wet and cold at points today. Plus they say it will keep raining all day tomorrow as well. First truly miserable 3 days in a row we've had since we got here.
Oh dear, a bit too much all at once, but I'll take the rain vibes thank you very much. We had a very cloudy day the other day, hot in the mid 90's Awful!
Everyone was going on about it feeling like Earthquake weather.

Well I can say I have no clue about Ivanhoe, or Quartermass, I must be too young
I did however watch Bonanza sometimes, but was pretty young, we went to bed when the Coronation street music started and used to watch "Watch with mother" in the middle of the day. All in black and white. We didn't get a color TV till the late 70's and went many years with non at all, single Mum working two jobs. No money for TV's but she did save like a crazy woman and take us to Spain for two weeks every October in the 60's and early 70's nice hotels on the beach, all meals included I guess her priorities were different. So everyone though I was spoilt even though we went without a lot, had no carpets on the bedroom floors, and all hand me down clothes, no cars, etc etc.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh dear, a bit too much all at once, but I'll take the rain vibes thank you very much. We had a very cloudy day the other day, hot in the mid 90's Awful!
Everyone was going on about it feeling like Earthquake weather.

Well I can say I have no clue about Ivanhoe, or Quartermass, I must be too young
I did however watch Bonanza sometimes, but was pretty young, we went to bed when the Coronation street music started and used to watch "Watch with mother" in the middle of the day. All in black and white. We didn't get a color TV till the late 70's and went many years with non at all, single Mum working two jobs. No money for TV's but she did save like a crazy woman and take us to Spain for two weeks every October in the 60's and early 70's nice hotels on the beach, all meals included I guess her priorities were different. So everyone though I was spoilt even though we went without a lot, had no carpets on the bedroom floors, and all hand me down clothes, no cars, etc etc.
My parents did similar but we had a small car (Morris Minor) instead of holidays etc and we used to have picnics in the countryside on Sundays. Sometimes we would go to Cleethorpes for the day.

I didn't have hand me downs...but my mother was a dressmaker...she used to make a lot of wedding and bridesmaids dresses. She used the off cuts to make our clothes...so my sister and I went to school looking like bridesmaids. My aunt used to knit for people...she made us cardigans out of the bits of left over wool. We always wore multi coloured stripey cardies. Mum would often buy shoes that had been in the window display of the shop. They were heavily discounted...sis and I can remember wearing the shoes...one was lighter than the other.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My parents did similar but we had a small car (Morris Minor) instead of holidays etc and we used to have picnics in the countryside on Sundays. Sometimes we would go to Cleethorpes for the day.

lol:
Hope you didn't go swimming there, it would really be going through the motions as it isn't the sea, but the Humber estuary, and the Humber was an extremely polluted river..
Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have hand me downs...but my mother was a dressmaker...she used to make a lot of wedding and bridesmaids dresses. She used the off cuts to make our clothes...so my sister and I went to school looking like bridesmaids. My aunt used to knit for people...she made us cardigans out of the bits of left over wool. We always wore multi coloured stripey cardies. Mum would often buy shoes that had been in the window display of the shop. They were heavily discounted...sis and I can remember wearing the shoes...one was lighter than the other.
That is so funny, I just see you in bridesmaid dresses and stipy cardies heading to school.
My gran did all the knitting, and she'd unravel old jumpers to make us new ones, and collected buttons, so sometimes you'd have two different kinds of buttons on your cardies. Kids today would be horrified.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

My Mam used to unravel old jumpers & make new ones too. She was always knitting something and we all had lovely jumpers & cardigans. Dad still has a couple in the cupboard that I reckon must be 50 years old, he can't wear them anymore as he's "outgrown" them but doesn't have the heart to get rid. I only wish I could knit half as well as she did - her stitches were so perfect the stuff always looked machine-knit.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Hope you didn't go swimming there, it would really be going through the motions as it isn't the sea, but the Humber estuary, and the Humber was an extremely polluted river..
Of course we did...and those were the days before sunscreen and aftersun.

That is so funny, I just see you in bridesmaid dresses and stipy cardies heading to school.
My gran did all the knitting, and she'd unravel old jumpers to make us new ones, and collected buttons, so sometimes you'd have two different kinds of buttons on your cardies. Kids today would be horrified.
Our school dresses were really fancy...organza with flowers. Same with the buttons and the unravelled wool. At least we were always clean and tidy...even if we did look like bridesmaids wearing strange cardies and odd coloured shoes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 25th 2012 at 5:52 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 5:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I remember Quatermass, never allowed to watch it as was only a kid, and parents thought it was too scary. We never had a TV till 1957, and the first TV I saw was a neighbour's who invited us and a whole lot more people to watch the Coronation. During my primary school days my mum was a single mum having been widowed when I was 4, however she wouldn't take any benefits apart from the widows pension and child allowance, so to make ends meet she used the front room as a single bed maternity home, got fully registered etc. she started as a help to her sister who was expecting and already had a child and was in a council house so not enough room to have it at home. Mothers giving birth gave her the money to bring us up properly and buy school uniforms etc. over 100 babies were born there, and it was at time when they stayed for 14 days. In those days hospital births were rare and only for women expected to have complications, all others were at home or private maternity homes. One set of twins was born, not expected, and on mother gave birth in the drive way before she could get out of the taxi and into the house.
That is such an interesting story. I never knew that such "maternity homes" existed.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
My Mam used to unravel old jumpers & make new ones too. She was always knitting something and we all had lovely jumpers & cardigans. Dad still has a couple in the cupboard that I reckon must be 50 years old, he can't wear them anymore as he's "outgrown" them but doesn't have the heart to get rid. I only wish I could knit half as well as she did - her stitches were so perfect the stuff always looked machine-knit.

I love all these stories. My gran was a dressmaker and a fantastic knitter.
She once made herself a tweed pinafore and had some leftover material, so she made my wee Cairn Terrier a dog coat. He looked very spiffy in it.

She knitted me many cardis and once I had just put on a newly finished cardi and sat with my back to the fire, within seconds there was a huge hole burnt in the back of the cardi.

She and my mum taught me to knit and I still love to knit. Can't wait until my needles, books and wool arrive so that I can get clicking away.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:17 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Thinking of all returnees having to cope with the terrible wet conditions in the UK at the moment. I've been listening to BBC Radio 2 (Jeremy Vine show and Steve Wright in the Afternoon) and there are reports of people being trapped in their cars on the A1(M) due to rising floodwaters:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted-North.html

Keep warm, dry and safe

Hi Englishmum,

There has been lots of damage and there is more rain forecast. We have been very lucky with only a small amount of water leaking into the utility room, which didn't cause any damage. Will have to arrange to have the gutter and roof tiles looked at. Many people have been evacuated from their homes and travel was disrupted today due to fallen trees and flooded roads.

I hope we have seen the worst of it.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lf1
She once made herself a tweed pinafore and had some leftover material, so she made my wee Cairn Terrier a dog coat. He looked very spiffy in it.

She knitted me many cardis and once I had just put on a newly finished cardi and sat with my back to the fire, within seconds there was a huge hole burnt in the back of the cardi.

She and my mum taught me to knit and I still love to knit. Can't wait until my needles, books and wool arrive so that I can get clicking away.
Times were tough then...but even living on a council estate we were brought up with good values. Both my parents had menial jobs but they both worked hard and were never out of work. They worked hard so that we could have a better life...and we have.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Wow it sounds like we've been really lucky down in the south east corner. It's rained off and on since Sunday here, heavily at times and we've had some pretty strong winds but I've not heard of any flooding. It looks like you folks up north got it bad, hopefully you all escape any damage & it will blow over very shortly. My cousin is getting married in Newcastle on Saturday so I've got an extra reason for hoping the sun shines.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by lf1

That one of the things I am taking back, my needles and the roll that my friend made for storing them. I enjoy knitting too, we'll see how much time I have to do any once we are back.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:40 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Times were tough then...but even living on a council estate we were brought up with good values. Both my parents had menial jobs but they both worked hard and were never out of work. They worked hard so that we could have a better life...and we have.
Exactly, we were raised to be polite, respectful and well mannered and we also lived in a council house. We never wanted for anything, but we didn't just get new things on a whim. We had school shoes, Sunday shoes and sand shoes. In the winter we had boots or wellies, but would never have dreamt of buying a pair of shoes just because. We only got what we needed. Almost forgot, I had a lovely pair of red plastic sandals at,one point. I wore them all the time and especially when we went to the seaside.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Exactly, we were raised to be polite, respectful and well mannered and we also lived in a council house. We never wanted for anything, but we didn't just get new things on a whim. We had school shoes, Sunday shoes and sand shoes. In the winter we had boots or wellies, but would never have dreamt of buying a pair of shoes just because. We only got what we needed. Almost forgot, I had a lovely pair of red plastic sandals at,one point. I wore them all the time and especially when we went to the seaside.
I'm reminded of a song I often used to hear on the radio back in the 60's before we left. It went along the lines of "whats the matter with kids today?" & "why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?". Basically the older generation saying that kids of the day didn't really measure up. I can't imagine what they'd think of kids TODAY!
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Changing the subject...who remembers Whitsuntide?

Mum always made us new dresses for Whit Sunday...again bridesmaid's dresses. We got new white shoes, handbags and gloves...yes stretch white lacy gloves. Almost forgot...we used to get new frilly knickers too. I remember they had rows and rows of fills and lace going across the back.

My grandfather had a large car...his driver used to collect all the younger cousins (most of my cousins were adults when I was small). He drove us around Sheffield so we could visit all our aunts and uncles and show them our new clothes. They would give us sixpence each. Apart from Christmas...that was the highlight of our year.

Whit Monday...we joined the parade at our local church. All the local church parades met in Longley Park...lots of hymns, singing and prayers. I remember Whit Monday was always a long hot sunny day...it seemed to go on for ever and I couldn't wait to go home.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 25th 2012 at 7:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.