British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

windsong Mar 1st 2011 3:00 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9208549)
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!

That's what I have been doing for the last few weeks, too - the lottery :rofl:

All I want is a nice little house in the UK and to be at peace :)

bandrui Mar 1st 2011 7:40 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9209416)
All I want is a nice little house in the UK and to be at peace :)

That's it exactly! :thumbup:

Beedubya Mar 1st 2011 8:04 am

I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!

If you look at the very old posts you will see that I too lived in Frome :thumbup: it seems to be the hip hop happening place for us lot LOL!!

Very, very safe little market town, nothing special like Bath but it's an OK place to live.

I so wanted to be there in summer when the Glastonbury Festival was on nearby as I heard you got all kinds of "interesting" people in town. :lol:

I am using my sister's laptop and I never realised until now that the British keyboard is different to the Aussie/US one.

sallysimmons Mar 1st 2011 12:09 pm

I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.

Definitely. Those very rural and remote places are still much as they were 50 years ago in terms of culture. I don't know the south but there are some very remote and rural areas in the north of Cumbria and all the way across to the East Coast up there. Also parts of Wales - and definitely the north of Scotland. My SIL lives on the Isle of Lewis which is off the north west of Scotland, and that's about as rural and safe as you can get.

The only caution is that these remote areas really are remote - when something goes wrong, it can be very hard to get help. The NHS has had to fly my SIL to the mainland for treatment because she has become ill with a very rare disease and needs regular stays in hospital. Because the hospital is so far from their home, I thought they might rethink where they live but she says no. She adores it out there. She loves the sense of space, the community, the sometimes harsh conditions, and the fact that they can afford a big house with no neighbors.

And of course, the NHS does pay for her travel, so while it's inconvenient, she doesn't have to suffer without help. Still, I definitely couldn't live like that. Horses for courses!

Mallory Mar 1st 2011 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9210236)
Definitely. Those very rural and remote places are still much as they were 50 years ago in terms of culture. I don't know the south but there are some very remote and rural areas in the north of Cumbria and all the way across to the East Coast up there. Also parts of Wales - and definitely the north of Scotland. My SIL lives on the Isle of Lewis which is off the north west of Scotland, and that's about as rural and safe as you can get.

The only caution is that these remote areas really are remote - when something goes wrong, it can be very hard to get help. The NHS has had to fly my SIL to the mainland for treatment because she has become ill with a very rare disease and needs regular stays in hospital. Because the hospital is so far from their home, I thought they might rethink where they live but she says no. She adores it out there. She loves the sense of space, the community, the sometimes harsh conditions, and the fact that they can afford a big house with no neighbors.

And of course, the NHS does pay for her travel, so while it's inconvenient, she doesn't have to suffer without help. Still, I definitely couldn't live like that. Horses for courses!

Just looked up the Isle of Lewis - very interesting. I would love to visit some day. Have you been there?

Pollyana Mar 1st 2011 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9209826)
If you look at the very old posts you will see that I too lived in Frome :thumbup: it seems to be the hip hop happening place for us lot LOL!!

Very, very safe little market town, nothing special like Bath but it's an OK place to live.

I so wanted to be there in summer when the Glastonbury Festival was on nearby as I heard you got all kinds of "interesting" people in town. :lol:

I am using my sister's laptop and I never realised until now that the British keyboard is different to the Aussie/US one.

I've heard Frome described as a few things in my time, but not "hip hop happening " before :rofl: My mum will laugh at that one:thumbup:

bandrui Mar 2nd 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9210236)

Isle of Lewis might be a wee bit remote for me but Callanish? Wow. Definitely hope to visit at some point.

Bee, was it your post about Glastonbury Festival? I would definitely like to attend that. I'm a bit of a music nut. Taped the Brit awards and have watched it about 4 times now. Cannot believe Adele. Love that song "Someone Like You". Gives me goosebumps. Tinie Tempah too. My son is also a huge fan of British music. I think I can get him "Right of Abode" in the UK though he was born here. As long as he doesn't live with me :eek: as he is at the moment. 30 years old and I can't get rid of him. :rofl: My daughter lives in NC and is a tri-national British and American birth certificates and Canadian citizenship. They both are now encouraging me to go home to the UK which wasn't always the case... my son was resistant but now gives me the OK.

bandrui Mar 2nd 2011 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9209826)

I have been reading all the old posts. Read all the ones from part 1 and am on about page 50 something of part ll.:o It's really wonderful getting to know everybody through them (though a little difficult to remember everyone - present company excepted:;)).

I am starting to think that the best way to go about The Big Move is to either go over on a recce after the house sells and/or rent for a while and look around. Frome will definitely be on the list.

Beedubya Mar 2nd 2011 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9211601)
I've heard Frome described as a few things in my time, but not "hip hop happening " before :rofl: My mum will laugh at that one:thumbup:

:lol::D

Beedubya Mar 2nd 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9212550)
I have been reading all the old posts. Read all the ones from part 1 and am on about page 50 something of part ll.:o It's really wonderful getting to know everybody through them (though a little difficult to remember everyone - present company excepted:;)).

I am starting to think that the best way to go about The Big Move is to either go over on a recce after the house sells and/or rent for a while and look around. Frome will definitely be on the list.

Looks like Frome will be the best place for the reunion then!! :thumbsup:

between two worlds Mar 2nd 2011 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9212593)
:lol::D

bee--celebrate the homecoming!-- change the tagline under your posts where you say you're still in Syndey and hoping to head home soon!!

tina

between two worlds Mar 2nd 2011 9:33 am

Ha! that's better, Bee--no place like home, indeed.

So simple, so true.

Tina

MnB Mar 2nd 2011 10:39 am

Although I live in Somerset (born & bred ... wandered off for a bit but HAD to come home ;)) I don't 'know' Frome so as a result of your discussions just 'googled' 'Frome somerset' lots of useful sites to aid research....might be worth a look if you haven't already done so:unsure:
:lol: B

sallysimmons Mar 2nd 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9211046)
Just looked up the Isle of Lewis - very interesting. I would love to visit some day. Have you been there?

Sadly no, although I'm sure we will if we move home. She moved there after we left England.

Gabgoeshome Mar 2nd 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9212596)
Looks like Frome will be the best place for the reunion then!! :thumbsup:

It is weird how many of us will be in Frome or close by (in my case )

I am so glad you are home Bee ,well done :)

aviva Mar 4th 2011 5:17 pm

I'm thinking of Frome too!

Englishmum Mar 7th 2011 9:13 pm

Don't forget...it's Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) tomorrow!

I like them best with some sugar and a generous squeeze of lemon juice, and have the pancakes thin and crispy.

:thumbup:

http://projectbritain.com/shrove.html

Mummy in the foothills Mar 7th 2011 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9224353)
Don't forget...it's Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day) tomorrow!

I like them best with some sugar and a generous squeeze of lemon juice, and have the pancakes thin and crispy.

:thumbup:

:eek: must get lemons I have to take Dd to the doc in a bit, thanks for the reminder.

windsong Mar 9th 2011 2:34 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9218139)
I'm thinking of Frome too!

And I am pretty sure I will end up in Frome or somewhere else close by

bandrui Mar 9th 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9227140)
And I am pretty sure I will end up in Frome or somewhere else close by

There's a good chance that I may be there too. We must have a get-together. Perhaps an ex-pat group? :starsmile:

Lorac05 Mar 10th 2011 12:00 am

So here I am busy packing away when in my storage area of the basement I find my piggy/banks/jars full of pennies - over 17 different containers - all shapes and sizes and all full of pennies that I have filled over the past 20+ years on and off :p So I go to Amazon and buy a load of the pre-formed tubes and spend the past several days filling them. And today I finished with $159.50 - all in pennies. I have already loaded half of those into a wheelie and taken them to the bank - I plan on taking the rest tomorrow or Friday. The pre-formed tubes cost me $25 so my "profit" is $134.5 but still that was money I had just lying around and every little helps nowadays :thumbup:.

Englishmum Mar 10th 2011 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9229349)
So here I am busy packing away when in my storage area of the basement I find my piggy/banks/jars full of pennies - over 17 different containers - all shapes and sizes and all full of pennies that I have filled over the past 20+ years on and off :p So I go to Amazon and buy a load of the pre-formed tubes and spend the past several days filling them. And today I finished with $159.50 - all in pennies. I have already loaded half of those into a wheelie and taken them to the bank - I plan on taking the rest tomorrow or Friday. The pre-formed tubes cost me $25 so my "profit" is $134.5 but still that was money I had just lying around and every little helps nowadays :thumbup:.

Oh gosh - you could have gone to any branch of a TD Bank (even if you don't have an account with them. They have these coin counting machines where you just pour your coins into a chute (it rejects foreign coins) and saves you the bother of putting them into those weird paper rolls. I once collected over $400 by taking coins in :thumbup:

Well done though! Have you sold the rest of your furniture?

When are you flying back to the UK?

Mummy in the foothills Mar 10th 2011 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9229461)
Oh gosh - you could have gone to any branch of a TD Bank (even if you don't have an account with them. They have these coin counting machines where you just pour your coins into a chute (it rejects foreign coins) and saves you the bother of putting them into those weird paper rolls. I once collected over $400 by taking coins in :thumbup:

Well done though! Have you sold the rest of your furniture?

When are you flying back to the UK?

Our nank has the machine thing now too, they used to take the penny rolls, but now you poor the money in and it gives you a coupon, you can deposit it or get cash, not in pennies.
I hope all your penny rolling wasn't for nothing Englishmum.

sallysimmons Mar 10th 2011 3:11 am

They have those machines in our grocery stores too. They're great.

Lorac congrats on finding the money. How's the packing going?

bandrui Mar 10th 2011 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9229349)

Way to go Lora! Divine intervention just like the other day when a framed picture stood on the floor against the wall looked a little wonky; I straightened it and 3 x $20 bills fell out. :confused:
Your pennies reminded me of the time I was driving onto one of the toll bridges across the Hudson in New York and I only had pennies to pay the toll and the man refused to accept them. I told him that was all the change I had. People behind me were yelling, swearing and honking their horn in true New York style. In the end he had to take them and was muttering away as I drove off. Hilarious :rofl:

Mummy in the foothills Mar 10th 2011 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9229688)
Our nank has the machine thing now too, they used to take the penny rolls, but now you poor the money in and it gives you a coupon, you can deposit it or get cash, not in pennies.
I hope all your penny rolling wasn't for nothing Englishmum.

Holy moley I knew I had the start of a migraine writing that, but I was talking about the Bank not nank and you pour the money not poor :o Soory about that.

Lorac05 Mar 10th 2011 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9229710)
They have those machines in our grocery stores too. They're great.

Lorac congrats on finding the money. How's the packing going?

Packing is going slowly - I swear my stuff is breeding when I have my back turned :sneaky:. Of course it doesn't help I have come down with a really bad cold - sniffling , coughing and sneezing as I pack - the germs will be breeding on their way across the Atlantic :D

sallysimmons Mar 10th 2011 5:13 pm

I totally sympathize about the stuff breeding. I feel sure I only bought a few boxes worth of junk and yet now I seem to have mountains of the stuff and no amount of clearing out seems to make a dent!

aviva Mar 10th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9189910)
As a matter of fact I do. I have it delivered every two weeks. It comes in frozen patties. My dogs eat it once a day and and organic dry food also. They love raw food, but there is the extra work involved making sure everything cleaned up and bacteria free afterwards.

Hey Celtic, I might just give this vegan diet a go next time I have a dog:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/03/10...ex.html?hpt=C2

Celticspirit Mar 12th 2011 2:47 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9231072)
Hey Celtic, I might just give this vegan diet a go next time I have a dog:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/03/10...ex.html?hpt=C2

Very interesting article. My dogs love veggies especially broccoli and carrots.

aviva Mar 12th 2011 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9234097)
Very interesting article. My dogs love veggies especially broccoli and carrots.

Since I can't eat anything that can look at me, I thought I'd see if I could alleviate the guilt on that end too.

Celticspirit Mar 19th 2011 4:08 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9234123)
Since I can't eat anything that can look at me, I thought I'd see if I could alleviate the guilt on that end too.

Are you a vegetarian?

fulwood Mar 19th 2011 10:05 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Does anyone know how the person who is our "travel expert"? At one time was going to use her services but things did not work out..I would like to contact her if anyone as this info..

cheers Mar 20th 2011 12:26 am

and now for something different... I just took a break from the computer to have me tea and I got to look at CNN on TV and it looks like all heck is breaking out in Libya with the NATO forces firing missiles like they were M&Ms on Libya. I'm so so glad that this is not a US led effort and I got to admire the British for being one of the leaders along with France in this military operation. I say this because as we all know the UK is trying to cut back on its military spending so it comes as a great sacrifice.

No Doc Martin tonight because it is plead night on PBS.

bandrui Mar 20th 2011 1:15 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9251181)
and now for something different... I just took a break from the computer to have me tea and I got to look at CNN on TV and it looks like all heck is breaking out in Libya with the NATO forces firing missiles like they were M&Ms on Libya. I'm so so glad that this is not a US led effort and I got to admire the British for being one of the leaders along with France in this military operation. I say this because as we all know the UK is trying to cut back on its military spending so it comes as a great sacrifice.

No Doc Martin tonight because it is plead night on PBS.

I agree with you Cheers. I am a pacifist and not pro-war but Quadaffi was going to bomb the hell out of his own people, civilians to boot, and I am very proud of the way that US, UK, France and the League of Arab Nations are handling this. The man (Quadaffi) is a complete nutter.

bandrui Mar 20th 2011 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9251213)
Very depressing! More war, less money for other things and probably a delay in the economic recovery. :banghead:

I really don't think that this will go on for very long. If Quadaffi is not in custody or dead by the end of next week, I shall be surprised.

Derrygal Mar 20th 2011 1:41 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9250971)
Does anyone know how the person who is our "travel expert"? At one time was going to use her services but things did not work out..I would like to contact her if anyone as this info..

I think her name is Cindy - there was a thread a couple of days ago about airplane fares being much higher than last year - and I believe Cindy's name was mentioned. Maybe you could send a note to Sue (the administrator) and she would put you in touch with the right person.

cheers Mar 20th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9251224)
I agree with you Cheers. I am a pacifist and not pro-war but Quadaffi was going to bomb the hell out of his own people, civilians to boot, and I am very proud of the way that US, UK, France and the League of Arab Nations are handling this. The man (Quadaffi) is a complete nutter.

Don't forget the Canadians.......

Canada has committed six Hornets to help enforce the no-fly zone. The Canadian jets were seen at Prestwick airport in Scotland on Saturday where they landed for a refuelling stop before heading towards the Mediterranean.

I have to agree with what someone else said, 'He is either a nutter or as sly as a fox'. He's done well so far. He got a way with the bombing of the PanAm airliner and who knows what else?

Mummy in the foothills Mar 20th 2011 2:47 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9251229)
I really don't think that this will go on for very long. If Quadaffi is not in custody or dead by the end of next week, I shall be surprised.

Are you just trying to make me feel better :wub:

aviva Mar 20th 2011 3:43 am

I really don't understand why everyone thinks that the Allied Nations are doing such a wonderful thing in Libya. They never do squat about atrocities by leaders against their people all over Africa. They are just protecting the flow of the purest oil on the planet. IMO!