British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

Sentosa Feb 2nd 2011 10:46 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9147979)
Thanks David. I am on the internet constantly - have a brother in Canada and a son in Melbourne, both of whom are linked with me here. Seems the worst has passed, but no news yet about the state of the area - tomorrow or the next day I guess reports will start coming out. The power is off there at the moment. it was not as bad as predicted, because the eye missed Cairns - but hit lower down the coast. Its a Category 2 now, with a huge tail containing high winds - and probably high tides! (sorry - couldn't resist!)

Hope you hear something soon it is so worrying and they will be worried that you are worrying. We were the same when we were hit in 2004 we were without power for 10 days in our area.Positive thoughts everything will be fine.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 2nd 2011 10:46 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9147997)
You only have to be 50, right?

What are the perks? Free access to the Glamorous Grandma and Granddad site? ;)

What? 50? Not bloody likely, they are trying to push us all into an early grave :lol: Thats the year we hope to be moving home. at 50, I hope the UK doesn't think we are over the hill and make us join SAGA or something.

dunroving Feb 2nd 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9148040)
What? 50? Not bloody likely, they are trying to push us all into an early grave :lol: Thats the year we hope to be moving home. at 50, I hope the UK doesn't think we are over the hill and make us join SAGA or something.

Sorry love, in the States you are officially old at 50:

http://www.aarp.org/

Hate to tell you but same in the UK:

http://www.saga.co.uk/

- you are now officially a wrinkly!

Derrygal Feb 2nd 2011 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9147978)
Sign you are "officially" old in the US. AARP membership. bloody got one in mail today. enough said..

I got one as soon as I turned 50 (7 years ago). I have never got around to joining, although I have been told I am missing out on "perks" - not sure what perks!! I think they need to change the name - AARP - the name just doesn't suit any more. Let's face it - how many of us can afford to retire at 50? The way things are going here, I'm probably going to be working until I'm 70!!!

fulwood Feb 2nd 2011 11:20 pm

Dunroving, if there is such a site Im sure I will see you on there - grandad:)

Derrygal Feb 2nd 2011 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9148040)

Actually my cousin (who lives in England) and her husband are members of SAGA. They are both in their mid 60s (both retired) and they go on vacation two and sometimes three times a year. I've been told the travel discounts are wonderful.

fulwood Feb 2nd 2011 11:21 pm

yes I am not going to join. i have enough memberships going with being speech student..

Lorac05 Feb 2nd 2011 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9148091)

I just logged onto the Saga site and love the option in the top right corner that allows you to increase the size of the text :rofl:

Sentosa Feb 3rd 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9147997)
You only have to be 50, right?

What are the perks? Free access to the Glamorous Grandma and Granddad site? ;)

Don't knock it think of all the discounts you get :thumbsup:

BEVS Feb 3rd 2011 2:20 am

Grey Power New Zealand

Grey Power is a Lobby Organization promoting the welfare and well-being of all those citizens in the 50 plus age group
and I'm not even really grey yet. :cry_smile:

BEVS
Age56

Lorac05 Feb 3rd 2011 2:39 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9148333)
Grey Power New Zealand

and I'm not even really grey yet. :cry_smile:

BEVS
Age56

That's what those boxes of hair colour are for - grey can't stand up to it :D

Mummy in the foothills Feb 3rd 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9148091)

Not yet two more years thank you :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Feb 3rd 2011 2:56 am

I just noticed SAGA has car insurance, maybe we can all save some money (well in a couple of years anyway)

BEVS Feb 3rd 2011 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9148366)
That's what those boxes of hair colour are for - grey can't stand up to it

I keep on looking at those but then can't make my mind up about the colour. Not too light. Not too dark and not metallic orange.

My husband was from Wolverhampton before he moved to Bournemouth & met me.

Fish n Chips 56 Feb 3rd 2011 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9148102)
I got one as soon as I turned 50 (7 years ago). I have never got around to joining, although I have been told I am missing out on "perks" - not sure what perks!! I think they need to change the name - AARP - the name just doesn't suit any more. Let's face it - how many of us can afford to retire at 50? The way things are going here, I'm probably going to be working until I'm 70!!!

Hello Derry.
My parents joined the AARP years ago, I'm not so sure about perks, Dad stopped opening their mail years ago as they were always begging for money.

sallysimmons Feb 3rd 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9148830)
Hello Derry.
My parents joined the AARP years ago, I'm not so sure about perks, Dad stopped opening their mail years ago as they were always begging for money.

That's about the size of it. They only invite people at 50 because it means more money for them. Before long they'll be inviting 30 year-olds.

dunroving Feb 3rd 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9148104)
Dunroving, if there is such a site Im sure I will see you on there - grandad:)

Hey don't get carried away, I'm just a spring chicken, no grandkids yet (having no kids might have something to do with it, though).

Wawa Feb 3rd 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9149863)
Hey don't get carried away, I'm just a spring chicken, no grandkids yet (having no kids might have something to do with it, though).

Well, none that you know of, right? :rofl:

fulwood Feb 3rd 2011 10:21 pm

dunroving, in same boat.. single, never married no kids, no regrets..(not sure if you were ever married). like the freedom..

Derrygal Feb 3rd 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9149863)

I once saw a bumper sticker on a car: "If I had known grandchildren were so much fun, I would have had them first!"

Derrygal Feb 3rd 2011 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9150461)
dunroving, in same boat.. single, never married no kids, no regrets..(not sure if you were ever married). like the freedom..

My mum used to say (regarding single people who never had children) "They (children) will never make you laugh, but they will never make you cry either". I guess she was trying to say, children can bring you a lot of joy, but they can also be a right pain in the butt!!! (Especially when they become teenagers)!!!!!!

fulwood Feb 4th 2011 12:54 am

yes marriage and kids are for some and not for others..

Celticspirit Feb 4th 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9150756)
yes marriage and kids are for some and not for others..

....and I will add that two marriages have been rough at times, but I wouldn't change my experiences even if I got a chance to redo my life. Having two amazing children has always been and is a privilege and I have very many wonderful memories of both marriages. I have always been a bit naive (according to my therapist) and I know this next phase of my life will fulfill the circle of my life.

fulwood Feb 4th 2011 2:17 am

same here celticspirit in a way wouldn't necessarily redo my life. i just so wish i hadn't spent 23 years in arizona but i suppose everything has its purpose. i had chance at marriage long time ago but timing was not right..

Celticspirit Feb 4th 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9150850)
same here celticspirit in a way wouldn't necessarily redo my life. i just so wish i hadn't spent 23 years in arizona but i suppose everything has its purpose. i had chance at marriage long time ago but timing was not right..

Fulwood......the thing is, as much as we all hoped for a fairy tale ending (and I am such thevdreamer)....it really doesn't exist. I think we are all blessed that we are now taking charge of our own futures and moving forward without regret.
I would still say even with all my whines, when I look around me, I have had a brilliant life but I know I cannot go back. Life is too short for mentonhave regrets.

Celticspirit Feb 4th 2011 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9150908)
Fulwood......the thing is, as much as we all hoped for a fairy tale ending (and I am such thevdreamer)....it really doesn't exist. I think we are all blessed that we are now taking charge of our own futures and moving forward without regret.
I would still say even with all my whines, when I look around me, I have had a brilliant life but I know I cannot go back. Life is too short for mentonhave regrets.

Sorry for the typos.......iPad fingers again ;o(

Celticspirit Feb 4th 2011 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9150912)
Sorry for the typos.......iPad fingers again ;o(

........and for some reason my inertia got a big kick in the behind when I sold my piano from a free ad in our gated community bi-monthly newsletter last weekend. Now I have decided what I am taking and what I will leave. It was the first sense that it is just the beginning of the new journey.

islandwoman120 Feb 4th 2011 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9151012)
........and for some reason my inertia got a big kick in the behind when I sold my piano from a free ad in our gated community bi-monthly newsletter last weekend. Now I have decided what I am taking and what I will leave. It was the first sense that it is just the beginning of the new journey.

I know what you mean about your sale: When I sold my floor loom I knew I was on the way back! I had tried to sell it for SIX years, and always at the last moment, the deal fell through. I used it's sale as a positive indicator - and I was right.

islandwoman120 Feb 4th 2011 8:40 am

My Australian brother wrote a quick note to say they were safe, the house was intact, the garden was a mess, the crops are gone, the seaside areas are destroyed, the flooding is in progress, with more expected.

Thanks to all who expressed their concern on my behalf. Anyone who has other news about their Australian relatives and friends - what is your news?

Sentosa Feb 4th 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9151425)
My Australian brother wrote a quick note to say they were safe, the house was intact, the garden was a mess, the crops are gone, the seaside areas are destroyed, the flooding is in progress, with more expected.

Thanks to all who expressed their concern on my behalf. Anyone who has other news about their Australian relatives and friends - what is your news?

Glad to hear your brother and family are safe, that is a relief for you.:)

Beedubya Feb 4th 2011 8:47 pm

Oh that is good news Rosie. :thumbsup:

Considering the ferocity of the cyclone the damage to humans has been minor. It could have been so much worse without all these warnings we get nowadays and of course people did heed them.

Celticspirit Feb 4th 2011 9:54 pm

That is great news. I am still waiting to hear from my cousins.

Celticspirit Feb 6th 2011 1:12 am

I just got word fom my Australiian cousins. Everyone is safe. No electricity for 3 days. Thy lost trees and roof tiles but are unscathed. Thanks everyone for your concern.

islandwoman120 Feb 6th 2011 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9155288)
I just got word fom my Australiian cousins. Everyone is safe. No electricity for 3 days. Thy lost trees and roof tiles but are unscathed. Thanks everyone for your concern.

Good to hear your news - did they mention anything about destruction in the seaside towns?

charleygirl Feb 6th 2011 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9147978)
Sign you are "officially" old in the US. AARP membership. bloody got one in mail today. enough said..

I've been getting them for about 5 years, keep ripping them up hahaha

Celticspirit Feb 6th 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9155977)
Good to hear your news - did they mention anything about destruction in the seaside towns?

No they didn't but many of their friends are coming in an out for showers and to use the laundry room.

fulwood Feb 6th 2011 4:49 pm

i did same charleygirl...

Beedubya Feb 6th 2011 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9156542)
No they didn't but many of their friends are coming in an out for showers and to use the laundry room.

Glad to hear your family are OK Celtic. :thumbsup:

We have been asked at work to donate toilet paper as they have run out up there, it is getting sent up to Queensland tonight..........

fulwood Feb 6th 2011 7:35 pm

to digress - surely this is one of the world's dumbest criminals - I believe you can skip the commercial..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RrHtjjvNDc

Celticspirit Feb 6th 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9156816)
Glad to hear your family are OK Celtic. :thumbsup:

We have been asked at work to donate toilet paper as they have run out up there, it is getting sent up to Queensland tonight..........

Thanks Barb. I was very relieved.
When do you quit working? Any more word on the Heathrow job?