British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

charleygirl Jan 27th 2011 6:26 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

great news jackie, I bet the weather is a shocker for you after LV!!!!
Looking forward to stories later.

Sentosa Jan 27th 2011 6:30 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9133226)
Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..
Jackie..;):thumbsup:

Glad you made it home safely bet that tea taste's good. I hope to be following you soon.:thumbup:

islandwoman120 Jan 27th 2011 6:31 pm

Well, i made it..:) Its cold, rainy, overcast...but great to be here. I have already had about 432 cups of tea,..:) its wonderful seeing my Mom and Dad, and everyone is well...I am a little jet lagged, but its good to be here finally. Will write more later..

Yeah! Our Jackie is safe and well and home at last!!! Hugs!

islandwoman120 Jan 27th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by beachgal21 (Post 9133351)
Well you could always tip a bucket of water on his snow free path, then watch him slip on his smug backside next time he comes out to admire your handywork :sneaky: :rofl:

:D:D:D

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 9132635)

Wow Mallory, thanks for that!! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9133068)
I agree, I guess its partly to do with getting older too:lol:I remember going on a school trip to Stratford on Avon and not being in the least bit interested in the beautiful old buildings, river, theatre etc. but just getting the attention of a good looking boy in the park:D

I agree. When you are younger you just take all that kind of stuff for granted don't you? All the history and the heritage and the stunning buildings and landscape.

Maybe you need to be away for some years to appreciate it more. I know I seem to appreciate the UK more than the rest of my family.

Most people in the UK seem to want to go "abroad" for a holiday for some sunshine, I will be happy having my holidays in the UK exploring all the places I have never been. :thumbsup:

Mind you my sister has already mentioned us going to Italy in late summer and I am up for that too. :D

Beedubya Jan 27th 2011 7:49 pm

Woohoo Jackie!! So good to hear from you on the flip side LOL!! :thumbsup:

432 cups of tea ha ha!! :lol:

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9133583)
Mind you my sister has already mentioned us going to Italy in late summer and I am up for that too. :D

Oh, I'm with you. I'd definitely be up for Italy too:D

fulwood Jan 27th 2011 10:27 pm

is there anyway to save like specific emails? like the thread w/the newspaper links..

Sentosa Jan 27th 2011 10:29 pm

Sold the house today:thumbsup:can't believe it, looks like we will be home the first week in March. The people who bought the house said we can stay here untill the end of February to give us time to sort our move out, looks like a busy month.

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 9133970)
Sold the house today:thumbsup:can't believe it, looks like we will be home the first week in March. The people who bought the house said we can stay here untill the end of February to give us time to sort our move out, looks like a busy month.

Congratulations!! You must be thrilled :thumbsup:

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9133965)
is there anyway to save like specific emails? like the thread w/the newspaper links..

I usually just open the link and bookmark it. If its text, I copy it and paste it to a Word document and then save in whatever file I want, or if its something you refer to all the time, you can save it to your desktop.

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 10:49 pm

WooHooo Congratulations :thumbsup:

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl (Post 9134001)
I usually just open the link and bookmark it. If its text, I copy it and paste it to a Word document and then save in whatever file I want, or if its something you refer to all the time, you can save it to your desktop.

Yep, same here. Open the link and save it to your favorites :thumbup:

Lorac05 Jan 27th 2011 11:28 pm

I just accepted an offer on my condo as well - for a little less then I would have liked but as the house/apartment prices around here have been going down in the past few months (after stagnating for a while) - mainly due to fore-closure's and short sales - I decided that if I want to go home this year I needed to revise my expectations. I had already gambled when I was made a low offer in October and that back-fired on me as the offer I just took was slightly lower than that but other places comparable to mine in the area have gone for less in the past month and I don't foresee them rising in the next few months so :fingerscrossed: there will be no hitches and I'll be home soon.

SomersetGirl Jan 27th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9134083)
I just accepted an offer on my condo as well - for a little less then I would have liked but as the house/apartment prices around here have been going down in the past few months (after stagnating for a while) - mainly due to fore-closure's and short sales - I decided that if I want to go home this year I needed to revise my expectations. I had already gambled when I was made a low offer in October and that back-fired on me as the offer I just took was slightly lower than that but other places comparable to mine in the area have gone for less in the past month and I don't foresee them rising in the next few months so :fingerscrossed: there will be no hitches and I'll be home soon.

Fantastic news!! What you lose on the condo sale, you'll probably gain on the exchange rate:fingerscrossed:

beachgal21 Jan 27th 2011 11:35 pm

Excellent news, and of course property prices in the UK have dropped too so hopefully you'll be able to get a bargain if you're planning on buying again :D

Sentosa Jan 28th 2011 12:20 am

Great News I think we all have to take a little less than we hoped for, but we were prepared to take a drop so that we could go home sooner rather than later.hope all goes well with the sale:)

fulwood Jan 28th 2011 12:26 am

that is fantastic news for both of you and very happy for you. I live in NeverLand - ie. Arizona - my house will never sell. it's not on market as got tired of keeping clean and nobody coming to look..

beachgal21 Jan 28th 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9134176)
that is fantastic news for both of you and very happy for you. I live in NeverLand - ie. Arizona - my house will never sell. it's not on market as got tired of keeping clean and nobody coming to look..

Would you be able to rent out your house in AZ?

charleygirl Jan 28th 2011 1:15 am

Oh wow so happy for you.....great news.

charleygirl Jan 28th 2011 1:16 am

Oh more good news, awesome! good luck.

cheers Jan 28th 2011 1:18 am

Has anyone considered in offering their house for exchange in the UK?

There are probably a lot of people in the UK who need to sell so they can move to the US and when they see what they get for the price, 'well I mean to say' A lot of people also will be flexible on were they move to in the US.

cheers Jan 28th 2011 1:20 am

Fullwood,
You probably told me where in Arizona you are but could you tell me again because I'm 15" from Arizona.

sallysimmons Jan 28th 2011 1:48 am

Congrats to both of you on the house sales! What great news :)

fulwood Jan 28th 2011 1:55 am

likely I can but may be out of state landlord. caring for a house no longer care about..

fulwood Jan 28th 2011 1:56 am

Mormon and snowbird country - aka Mesa

cheers Jan 28th 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9134347)

Check:cool:

Englishmum Jan 28th 2011 3:43 am

Fan-dabi-dozee!! :thumbsup:

Hey - have you been to Sentosa island in Singapore and is this why you are known as Sentosa on BE?

Celticspirit Jan 28th 2011 3:47 am

Originally Posted by fulwood (Post 9134347)

I was just in Mesa judging a dog show. I thought it was verybscenic and very hot! Here in Dallas. We have not even a tiny hill in sight!

Englishmum Jan 28th 2011 3:53 am

Well done!

Is your condo in the pretty Hamilton Park (brownstone houses) area? My friend rents out her apartment nearby on Seventh St.

It's incredible how Jersey City is being regenerated and gentrified; it reminds me a little of when Canary Wharf in London was in its infancy and is now considered very desirable to have a flat/apartment nearby (even though the local schools aren't v. good).

islandwoman120 Jan 28th 2011 8:16 am

Hurray! One more hurdle completed. Well done.

islandwoman120 Jan 28th 2011 8:18 am

Good work - congratulations! And welcome home in a few months. Where will you be coming home to ? Frome? :)

between two worlds Jan 28th 2011 8:52 am

Congrats to both Sentosa and Lorac on house/condo sales....fantastic news!

Now let's hope this bodes well for Trotty and others still trying to sell....

Tina

Sentosa Jan 28th 2011 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9134534)
Fan-dabi-dozee!! :thumbsup:

Hey - have you been to Sentosa island in Singapore and is this why you are known as Sentosa on BE?

Yes Lived in Singapore for 2 years in the 60's. Sentosa means peace and so we named our home in U.K Sentosa in the hopes that we may get some
that was when the kids were little:lol:

Beedubya Jan 28th 2011 9:05 am

Sentosa and Loraco - Woohoo and CONGRATULATIONS to you both on your home sale, I'll see you on the flip side as Jackie says!! :thumbsup:

Beedubya Jan 28th 2011 9:05 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9134280)
Fullwood,
You probably told me where in Arizona you are but could you tell me again because I'm 15" from Arizona.

15 inches from Arizona? Wow that is pretty close LOL!! :lol:

Lorac05 Jan 28th 2011 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9134550)
Well done!

Is your condo in the pretty Hamilton Park (brownstone houses) area? My friend rents out her apartment nearby on Seventh St.

It's incredible how Jersey City is being regenerated and gentrified; it reminds me a little of when Canary Wharf in London was in its infancy and is now considered very desirable to have a flat/apartment nearby (even though the local schools aren't v. good).

OMG - I am right on the corner of Hamilton Park itself!! Yes the area has really improved since I brought my apt 11 years ago. Even though the prices have gone down in the past 18 months they have certainly gone up since I brought and I am making a profit that - depending on exchange rate and price of house in the South Staffs area around Cannock might give me enough to purchase a small house once home!! Luckily I am going home to my parents - though shipping my possessions to a storage facility - so can take time to look and hope that the house prices fall a touch more in the UK so I can purchase. I also will be buying a car as I am looking to practice massage and will need to be travelling with a table so that is on my list!!

I lay in bed last night and had a bit of a panic re moving - packing etc. Need to wait the contract to agreed by the lawyers before getting the movers in however :D

Mummy in the foothills Jan 28th 2011 3:39 pm

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Congratulations

Beedubya Jan 28th 2011 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9135409)
OMG - I am right on the corner of Hamilton Park itself!! Yes the area has really improved since I brought my apt 11 years ago. Even though the prices have gone down in the past 18 months they have certainly gone up since I brought and I am making a profit that - depending on exchange rate and price of house in the South Staffs area around Cannock might give me enough to purchase a small house once home!! Luckily I am going home to my parents - though shipping my possessions to a storage facility - so can take time to look and hope that the house prices fall a touch more in the UK so I can purchase. I also will be buying a car as I am looking to practice massage and will need to be travelling with a table so that is on my list!!

I lay in bed last night and had a bit of a panic re moving - packing etc. Need to wait the contract to agreed by the lawyers before getting the movers in however :D

Oh I know all about them panic attacks LOL!! :thumbsup: