British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

charleygirl Feb 7th 2011 11:36 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Yes relieved all families are safe.....:)

Beedubya Feb 8th 2011 12:00 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9157068)
Thanks Barb. I was very relieved.
When do you quit working? Any more word on the Heathrow job?

No news on the job yet can you believe it? I have been told it is all "positive" so thats all I know.

I finish up on 18th February and will spend the last week at my daughters trying to tie up all the loose ends. Wow this moving is a BIG job!!

Sorting clothes at the moment, why do I have so many?? Especially those that don't fit!! The charity shops will be doing well very soon. :thumbsup:

cheers Feb 8th 2011 12:52 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9160281)
No news on the job yet can you believe it? I have been told it is all "positive" so thats all I know.

I finish up on 18th February and will spend the last week at my daughters trying to tie up all the loose ends. Wow this moving is a BIG job!!

Sorting clothes at the moment, why do I have so many?? Especially those that don't fit!! The charity shops will be doing well very soon. :thumbsup:

It reminds me of the husband who frequently heard his wife complain that she had no clothes that she could wear so he put an ad in the newspaper that said "will the person who has her clothes hanging in my wife's closet please come and remove them as soon as possible"

Cheers

Sentosa Feb 8th 2011 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9160281)

I know that feeling Barb, sorting mine out too, like you lots will be going to the charity shop.
Not long for you now, I will be following you within a couple of days I hope.
We do the final signing on the house on the 14th then I will book flights,I wouldn't book them before until I had the money in my hand .
Hope you hear some news about the job soon.

Derrygal Feb 8th 2011 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9160351)
It reminds me of the husband who frequently heard his wife complain that she had no clothes that she could wear so he put an ad in the newspaper that said "will the person who has her clothes hanging in my wife's closet please come and remove them as soon as possible"

Cheers

Ha ha - Cheers - that's funny!!

aviva Feb 15th 2011 9:26 pm

Hey Celticspirit are you involved in any way on the importing of shelter chihuahuas into Texas from California? I know that we have a plethora because of that clown Paris Hilton. Have been hearing that we send them to Canada and Texas where there is apparently a shortage of small dogs.

dunroving Feb 16th 2011 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9179002)
Hey Celticspirit are you involved in any way on the importing of shelter chihuahuas into Texas from California? I know that we have a plethora because of that clown Paris Hilton. Have been hearing that we send them to Canada and Texas where there is apparently a shortage of small dogs.

Yes, all those Huskies and Malamutes need a steady supply of bite-sized snacks. :rofl:

aviva Feb 16th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9180731)
Yes, all those Huskies and Malamutes need a steady supply of bite-sized snacks. :rofl:

Slapping you now, irreverent bersterd!
Don't know if you folks in UK saw, and no doubt don't care, that a 5-year-old Scottish deerhound named Hickory was awarded the best in show prize at the Westminster Kennel Club (biggest deal here in the dog world). Love those sighthounds....noodle nose, spaghetti legs!

cheers Feb 16th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9180906)
Slapping you now, irreverent bersterd!
Don't know if you folks in UK saw, and no doubt don't care, that a 5-year-old Scottish deerhound named Hickory was awarded the best in show prize at the Westminster Kennel Club (biggest deal here in the dog world). Love those sighthounds....noodle nose, spaghetti legs!

It was front page in the local paper along with a big photo.

aviva Feb 16th 2011 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9180955)
It was front page in the local paper along with a big photo.

Do you know if that's an usual thing then, the reporting of the US winner? Maybe because little known UK breed? He's lovely though. Don't think there will be a huge run of people out to buy them here when they find out how quickly they grow, how much exercise they need, and how many puppies they have in a litter.................and you can't put them in a purse!

Celticspirit Feb 17th 2011 3:01 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9179002)

I don't think there is any shortage of toy dogs in Texas as puppy mills abound. I do not bring strays into my home due to the risk of bringing diseases especially if i have baby puppies However I do financially contribute to rescue organizations in particular Chihuahua Rescue and Transport. Check out their web site.
Just got back from NYC. Shows were great. My Dizzy Lizzie thought she was a Roomba and not supposed to walk on all four feet!! Most of all it was great to see my kids, friends and have fun!!!

Derrygal Feb 18th 2011 12:30 am

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9180982)
Do you know if that's an usual thing then, the reporting of the US winner? Maybe because little known UK breed? He's lovely though. Don't think there will be a huge run of people out to buy them here when they find out how quickly they grow, how much exercise they need, and how many puppies they have in a litter.................and you can't put them in a purse!

Yes - I thought the dog that won was a lovely dog. I find it sad though that the golden retrievers and the labrador retrievers never seem to get a look in and they are the most popular dogs in the US. I'm more of a cat person (I've never had a dog) but I do like dogs and like to watch the shows.

Celticspirit Feb 18th 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9184280)
Yes - I thought the dog that won was a lovely dog. I find it sad though that the golden retrievers and the labrador retrievers never seem to get a look in and they are the most popular dogs in the US. I'm more of a cat person (I've never had a dog) but I do like dogs and like to watch the shows.

Goldens and Labs generally get a good look in most shows. We have has some wonderful winning Goldens. The entries are huge in those breeds. Just gnomonic our little chihuahuas.......one can barely see them on the Telly. They must be under 6 lbs to compete.
It was such a fun weekend in NYC. Very cold but no snow!

Derrygal Feb 19th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9185859)
Goldens and Labs generally get a good look in most shows. We have has some wonderful winning Goldens. The entries are huge in those breeds. Just gnomonic our little chihuahuas.......one can barely see them on the Telly. They must be under 6 lbs to compete.
It was such a fun weekend in NYC. Very cold but no snow!

I guess what I meant was - you never see the Goldens or Labs win "Best in Show". Sorry - I didn't word it very well.

Celticspirit Feb 19th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9187707)
I guess what I meant was - you never see the Goldens or Labs win "Best in Show". Sorry - I didn't word it very well.

You are right about that. However the Scottish Deerhound was the first time ever for that breed. I was rooting for the Irish Wolfhound myself!!!

cheers Feb 19th 2011 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9188194)
You are right about that. However the Scottish Deerhound was the first time ever for that breed. I was rooting for the Irish Wolfhound myself!!!

My SO keeps telling me about a cross between a pug and a bulldog that was on the show. Do you know what that breed would be???

Derrygal Feb 19th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9188194)

Yes the Irish wolfhounds are lovely dogs!! They usually have them walking in the St Patrick's Day parade in Cleveland (I live about 30 minute drive outside Cleveland). I don't get to see the parade very often as it is always held on the actual day and if it's Monday thru Friday I'm at work. I see it if it's at the weekend. Unfortunately, it's usually chilly here even in mid March, although occasionally the weather will be nice, but I've been to a few parades when it's been snowing. I always feel sorry for the poor dogs out walking in the snow, although they wear nice green coats!! I'm sure the parade in Ohio is nowhere near as big as the ones held in New York, and of course, Dublin. I was just thinking of St Patrick's Day today - I had a closet clean-out and was going to dump a rather old green shirt (it's shrunk a bit - or maybe (more likely) I've gained weight) then I thought - no I can wear it one more time on St Patrick's Day!!!

Celticspirit Feb 20th 2011 1:34 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9188235)
My SO keeps telling me about a cross between a pug and a bulldog that was on the show. Do you know what that breed would be???

There are no dogs other than purebreds at an AKC sanctioned Dog Show. Could it have been a Boston Terrier or a French Bulldog? Both are glorious!! Go on www.AKC.org and look at the pics. Would love to own either/ both......great family dogs.

Celticspirit Feb 20th 2011 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9188294)
Yes the Irish wolfhounds are lovely dogs!! They usually have them walking in the St Patrick's Day parade in Cleveland (I live about 30 minute drive outside Cleveland). I don't get to see the parade very often as it is always held on the actual day and if it's Monday thru Friday I'm at work. I see it if it's at the weekend. Unfortunately, it's usually chilly here even in mid March, although occasionally the weather will be nice, but I've been to a few parades when it's been snowing. I always feel sorry for the poor dogs out walking in the snow, although they wear nice green coats!! I'm sure the parade in Ohio is nowhere near as big as the ones held in New York, and of course, Dublin. I was just thinking of St Patrick's Day today - I had a closet clean-out and was going to dump a rather old green shirt (it's shrunk a bit - or maybe (more likely) I've gained weight) then I thought - no I can wear it one more time on St Patrick's Day!!!

Irish Wolfhounds are quite popular in Dallas. Generally the larger the dog, the shorter the lifespan. They have many genetic health issues and need to live indoors due to weather constraints. We have a huge St Patricks Day Festival in Dallas each year (almost like a state fair). There is always an Irish Wolfhound exhibit. I think the owners are very dedicated and educated in explaining the difficulties of the breed. This year our three day weekend s the first weekend in March.

cheers Feb 20th 2011 4:08 am

I just got corrected. The dog was on the "View"

aviva Feb 20th 2011 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9188515)
There are no dogs other than purebreds at an AKC sanctioned Dog Show. Could it have been a Boston Terrier or a French Bulldog? Both are glorious!! Go on www.AKC.org and look at the pics. Would love to own either/ both......great family dogs.

Hey Celticspirit, do you have any thoughts on the BARF diet? Do you have any experience with it?

aviva Feb 20th 2011 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9188717)
Hey Celticspirit, do you have any thoughts on the BARF diet? Do you have any experience with it?

Thought I'd add that this stands for Bones & Raw Food Diet.

Celticspirit Feb 20th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9188717)

As a matter of fact I do. I have it delivered every two weeks. It comes in frozen patties. My dogs eat it once a day and and organic dry food also. They love raw food, but there is the extra work involved making sure everything cleaned up and bacteria free afterwards.

aviva Feb 20th 2011 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9189910)
As a matter of fact I do. I have it delivered every two weeks. It comes in frozen patties. My dogs eat it once a day and and organic dry food also. They love raw food, but there is the extra work involved making sure everything cleaned up and bacteria free afterwards.

Good to hear. I had five Borzois at one time and had them on a raw food diet. Quite a bit of work but worth it. Each got 3 raw chicken quarters and then all the veggies and supplements. 10lb bag a day. They loved it! Also I loved the poop! I wonder how much chicken is in UK? Don't think I could have 5 at a time over there though. Do you vaccinate for everything?

Celticspirit Feb 20th 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9189938)
Good to hear. I had five Borzois at one time and had them on a raw food diet. Quite a bit of work but worth it. Each got 3 raw chicken quarters and then all the veggies and supplements. 10lb bag a day. They loved it! Also I loved the poop! I wonder how much chicken is in UK? Don't think I could have 5 at a time over there though. Do you vaccinate for everything?

Not at all. It is a big money spinner for vets and most vaccines are very detrimental to our dogs' health. I give a four in one at 16 weeks (never Lepto) and the same as a booster at six months. I give them myself. No reason to risk possible illnesses picked up the clinic. You can purchase them online. In the UK they must be administered by a vet, I believe. I never give rabies unless they are going abroad. I have a blood titer test every couple of years and my nine year old is still protected. There are lots of web sites citing the dangers of over vaccinating.
How many dogs are you taking to the UK?
It must have been very expensive to feed raw food to five borzois!

Englishmum Feb 21st 2011 4:44 am

It seems that Dontheturner and wife Tim have just departed on their flight from Bangkok to LHR.

I've posted the flight details on the "Bon Voyage" thread in the green sticky section at the top of the 'Rovers Return' page.

I'm off to bed now (cos I'm in New Jersey and it's 12.45am!):D

Celticspirit Feb 21st 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9189878)
Thought I'd add that this stands for Bones & Raw Food Diet.

Actually BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

aviva Feb 21st 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Celticspirit (Post 9191925)
Actually BARF stands for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food.

Yeah, I was just trying to give folks an idea of what I was talking about and not being rude, LOL!
Yes I give shots myself too. Agree on limiting them also. Expensive? Not so much, really, but relative I suppose. I'm not much of a consumer and tend to focus on where I want to spend money.
Don't have any animals of my own at the moment. I absolutely hate it, loathe it, can hardly stand it....it's very difficult for me! I've held off as I want to wait till I get back to UK. It'll make me not tarry.

bandrui Feb 24th 2011 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9110913)
Good topic Sally :thumbsup:

1) Feeling like the real authentic ME, family, the green fields, the church spires in the distance and other hidden treasures as your eye alights upon ever changing scenery, interesting, historical places to visit and going to places I have only read about, British food but not too much this time. :D Going to a family wedding 2 weeks after I get back. The nearness and cheapness (I hope) to Europe if you need a dose of sunshine.

2) Missing my kids and grand-kids in Australia and feeling guilty like I did last time. Going to the UK with virtually no money, no furniture, no car............starting all over again at 57. :eek:

Hi, I read this and it sounded as though I could have written it. I am 62 (pretty hip) and can't get going home out of my mind. I miss so much about England but am scared about making a wrong decision and I would be doing it all alone. I have a house here on Salt Spring Island but no money otherwise. It's a great place but it isn't England and I just don't feel like I belong here. I came to this website to see what others had to say and registered today.

bandrui Feb 24th 2011 4:06 am

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9114358)
Got news for you: there are only little courtyards in the back of houses here - very high density housing, kept in the medieval style, if not actually ancient. I was at the Community Meeting tonight, regarding a 12 acre building site that has been up for development for years - lots of arguments, and so far the town has managed to keep out the big box retailers - Asda got in on the outskirts of town, so far away I have not been there - have to take a bus or drive. Any new development has to blend in with the old, and there has to be a blend of housing and business, with housing having a percentage for rent and the rest for sale. So - yes, knock down the back walls or have little gates between them, with no gates in the spaces...I could go for that.

Count me in. I am a gardener and textile artist. Was wondering where to move to and looked up Frome on the web. Like that it has a strong arts & crafts contingent. I worik as a silk dyer and gardener, have a wonderful Golden Retriever (Hector) and would like to have chickens and bees. What do you think?

bandrui Feb 24th 2011 5:06 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9118857)
Yes, he's very middle class English. The youtube link is a video of him.

Loved the video. Thanks.

bandrui Feb 24th 2011 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9128077)
That has already been started up on another thread by Tanto, some kind of halfway house!! It was suggested on the over 50's thread firstly as so many people are in our position, luckily you have your mum and I have family in the UK but if you see Rosie (Islandwoman) for instance, she just had friends to stay with and has now moved into a little studio apartment.

I thought you had a OH? Doesn't he want to move back? I think that would be the hardest thing. :(

That is such a grfeat idea. I am really glad you are discussing this because it's my biggest question. What do a do between selling my house and finding something I can afford there? If I ship goods, where do I ship them to? How will this whole overlap work? I have some family there but I don't think anyone will offer me a place to stay and anyway they don't live in the areas I would want to live.

Mallory Feb 27th 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9198298)
That is such a grfeat idea. I am really glad you are discussing this because it's my biggest question. What do a do between selling my house and finding something I can afford there? If I ship goods, where do I ship them to? How will this whole overlap work? I have some family there but I don't think anyone will offer me a place to stay and anyway they don't live in the areas I would want to live.

There are some posts on the over 50s/60s thread by High Tide. He and his partner went over and found a place. Then David went back to prepare their shipment after they had signed the papers. Sounds like a good way to do it - takes the pressure off.

bandrui Feb 27th 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the post but unfortunately I don't have the cash to go back and forth so I will have to find some other way. Cheers.

windsong Feb 28th 2011 11:28 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9197989)
Count me in. I am a gardener and textile artist. Was wondering where to move to and looked up Frome on the web. Like that it has a strong arts & crafts contingent. I worik as a silk dyer and gardener, have a wonderful Golden Retriever (Hector) and would like to have chickens and bees. What do you think?

Frome is where my half-sister lives. She has lived in Somerset all her life and just moved to Frome last year. She loves it. She is also into arts and crafts. She just turned 70 this month and is getting a stall on Catherine Hill in Frome to sell her crafts this spring. I really give her credit for being so industrious.

windsong Feb 28th 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9205834)
Thanks for the post but unfortunately I don't have the cash to go back and forth so I will have to find some other way. Cheers.

I don't either, Bandrui, but I am planning at least one trip before I go -first being next year. I think it will make the transition much easier. I haven't priced the whole thing out yet. No doubt hotels are astronomical over there so we will just have to see. If it is too much and takes away from my savings next to actually move back, I won't do it.

When I was last there about 15 years ago I went into a 3-month depression when I returned to the USA. I did NOT want to come back. It was absolutely dreadful!

bandrui Feb 28th 2011 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9207424)
I don't either, Bandrui, but I am planning at least one trip before I go -first being next year. I think it will make the transition much easier. I haven't priced the whole thing out yet. No doubt hotels are astronomical over there so we will just have to see. If it is too much and takes away from my savings next to actually move back, I won't do it.

When I was last there about 15 years ago I went into a 3-month depression when I returned to the USA. I did NOT want to come back. It was absolutely dreadful!

I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!

Mummy in the foothills Feb 28th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9208549)
I bought a lottery ticket yesterday. That would make it sooooooo much easier. I was pleased to see the info about your sister (or was it SIL). Anyway, that would be my thing too. I was a little discouraged yesterday as I am going through all the old posts on MBTTUK and found the link to Island Girl's photos of Frome and wasn't sure. I am thinking about living rurally or at least semi-rurally and being out of touch with what's current in the UK, wondering if a woman living alone is safe living alone rurally. I am thinking so.
This is where the extra trip would come in but I still have the last trip to pay off on my credit card!

So did I, I won $1 :lol: I haven't bought one in ages, but thought what the heck it'd make the move so much easier.

Lorac05 Feb 28th 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9208602)
So did I, I won $1 :lol: I haven't bought one in ages, but thought what the heck it'd make the move so much easier.

I hope you re-invested the win in another ticket :D

Mummy in the foothills Mar 1st 2011 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Lorac05 (Post 9208764)
I hope you re-invested the win in another ticket :D

I will I have it pinned to two CVS extra bucks for $1.75 so while I'm there I'll get a gallon of milk for a few cents :thumbup: I go into town tomorrow, maybe they next lotto ticket is the one :thumbsup: I'm gonna have a go at the $100,000 a year for life (20 years) scratcher while I'm there.