Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

I would just ask one question, if you are in an accident seriously injured, lots of bills, ongoing issues, lost wages etc etc.

Are you going to be happy with a cheque for $100,000?
Old Mar 8th 2008, 11:59 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This is almost identical to the coverage I have. I live close to downtown SF and pay about $450 with Geico to insure a 9 year old BMW for six months, i.e. about half what you are being charged. But then I do get discounts for never having made a claim etc and it sounds like you're insuring for two drivers.
That is identical to our coverage with AIG.
Two drivers, two cars...both brand new when we took out the policy nearly three years ago.
We got the policy via Int. Autosource with AIG International.
We have never claimed and it is just coming up for renewal.
We pay $968 per year.

I thought that seemed very cheap and assumed we had a crap policy but now I am not so sure. I was about to start looking around.
When we took out the policy we didn't have US drivers licences, a credit history or green cards so we considered ourselves lucky to get it.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

CarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the roughCarrotCruncher is a jewel in the rough

Hello,

When I first arrived, July 07, the insurance on my SUV was $791 (equivalent to a comprehensive policy) It had a $500 deductable on it, and as it was a brand new car I didn't think that was too bad. That was with progressive. When it came to renewal time, I was able to negotiate and furnished progressive with proof of 10 years no claims from the UK, they accepted this as did most of the other companies I contacted, Geico was the exception. However after shopping around my renewal was $419 for 6 months, and with better coverage, but the same deductable.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

spaarks is an unknown quantity at this point

In the State of Washington my insurance for a Ford Ranger 2.3L with Safeco is about $1,200 a year (after one claim in five years). They do not seem to have a no-claims bonus as we do in the UK.

I had big problems insuring it at first on a UK Licence. Some firms would not insure at all, with others the problem is they have no way of finding out your history, and they would not accept a letter from my UK Insurance. So they would only quote on top-risk. They all advised I get a WA License, which I did (the test was incredibly easy!).

In WA you need a WA Drivers License to register.