Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Originally Posted by Tracym
Even once you take a policy, you can change your coverage limits at any time, generally.
That seems to be something that people have a hard time understanding. You can do anything you like to a policy, even cancel it at any time normally. You can pay up front and cancel the next day if you want, you'll get a refund for the whole amount less the cost of a day. I keep hearing people say they can't switch or change until their policy runs out, but that's a load of crap.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
That seems to be something that people have a hard time understanding. You can do anything you like to a policy, even cancel it at any time normally. You can pay up front and cancel the next day if you want, you'll get a refund for the whole amount less the cost of a day. I keep hearing people say they can't switch or change until their policy runs out, but that's a load of crap.
I agree.

It's probably a litte easier to just switch when it runs out, saves having to come up with the money for the new one up front, then wait for a refund from the old one.

But you certainly CAN do that, if you want to.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 08 Mercury Milan and live in Northern California, San Fran the insurance does go up slightly but that's way over the top to pay.

I am with AAA and pay $82.60 a month down payment was $113.50 and I am fully comp. 25/50

For some reason Geico does not like California if no luck with AAA try www.thegeneral.com

this might help http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#2500 You have 10 days to get a US licence.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 4th 2008 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about par for the course...though it all depends on levels of coverage, usually minimum levels are pants....though you do get discounts usually if you have renters or house insurance through the same company, and things like ABS/seatbelts/TCS/airbags/alarms, off street parking etc can all make a difference to your quote as well as commuting distance etc.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:42 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

So this was the bones of the policy... Any good? Dont suppose I have much choice without hiking the cost of the policy!

Bodily Injury $100/300,000 Per Person/Per Accident

Property Damage $100,000 Each Accident

Medical Payments $5,000

Uninsured Motorist BI $100/300,000 Per person/Accident

Other than Collision $500 Deductible

Collision $500 Deductible w/ waiver

Towing & Labor $75.00 Per Disablement

Extended Transportation $50 Per Day / Maximum $1,500
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:45 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
So this was the bones of the policy... Any good? Dont suppose I have much choice without hiking the cost of the policy!

Medical Payments $5,000

Have you called the other companies that have been mentioned my myself and others?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:48 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Have you called the other companies that have been mentioned my myself and others?
no not yet.. been at work (still am! - in UK you see!)
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:22 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Ok so phoned AAA who wont even talk to me hyperthetically as dont have US licence, and the general quoted $1300 for 6 months, so AIG it is at the moment but need to clarify a couple of thisngs with them. Will be living in the city for a month, then hoping to Move to Walnut Creek which may bring the cost down?!

On a side, to get a US licence I guess I need to do a written and then practical driving test? Thats the impression I get from DMV website, but wanted to check with you guys too.. You've all been so helpful. Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

linakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to alllinakemp is a name known to all

have you tried Geico? they were really cheap for me $280 for 6 months, although i do have an older car and live in the middle of nowhere, but I got insurance just like that without credit history, SSN and only my UK license, you can go online to get a free quote
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:36 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Originally Posted by linakemp
have you tried Geico? they were really cheap for me $280 for 6 months, although i do have an older car and live in the middle of nowhere, but I got insurance just like that without credit history, SSN and only my UK license, you can go online to get a free quote
thanks tried them first.. $1100. maybe these insurance companies just dont like my name?!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:56 pm

thanks tried them first.. $1100. maybe these insurance companies just dont like my name?!
Progressive direct and then try Progressive they are affliated but will give different quotes, Plus I got really cheap insurance with them when I 1st moved to cali and they let me use my UK licence for 6months (yes I used my UK) before anyone asks, that will give you time to get a US Licence and then just change the details and info once you pass the test.

www.progressivedirect.com
www.progressive.com

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 4th 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:03 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

State Farm told DH he could use his for a year, but he got one 7 months after he arrived. He decided to wait until he got his green card.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind a bit of work, you could try this. Call up the state farm help line and ask them to give you the name of their area manager for the area you're moving to. Call them and ask them to recommend an agent who has experience in this type of stuff to you, preferably one who started out as an underwriter. Then call them. I spoke two 2 state farm agents, the second was recommended by the area manager and got me the same insurance for 60% of the cost, and it just keeps going down. Same thing would probably work with other big companies.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Medical Payments $5,000

ok it's not a bad policy at all.

although the $5k med payments kinda scare me. it depends on whether or not your health insurance will be the primary source in case of an auto accident.
if not, then $5k will not be enough should you suffer serious injury.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Medical Payments $5,000

Hi:

That happens to be pretty good coverage. Since I'm a homeowner who bought a long time ago, the "equity" in my home is a lot so I do have an "umbrella" -- which is a policy with a $250,000 deductible which kicks in only if my other insurance is exhausted first. As I mentioned, I think the "med pay" is a waste of money if you have good health insurance with no deductible [and many people disagree with me].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.