Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

We used AIG for the first 6 months because it was easier but we changed to Liberty Mutual after that because it was about half the price. That Autosource thing makes it easier but they kind of get you on the insurance.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:35 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tracym
Check what your options are for deductibles also - the higher the deductible, the cheaper the insurance.
please excuse my ignorance.. whats a deductable?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:35 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We used AIG for the first 6 months because it was easier but we changed to Liberty Mutual after that because it was about half the price. That Autosource thing makes it easier but they kind of get you on the insurance.
good to know.. I'll bear that in mind
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the word for it in England - is it own-risk? Basically you agree to pay the first few hundred of any claim, the more you agree to pay the lower your premium is.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I can't remember the word for it in England - is it own-risk? Basically you agree to pay the first few hundred of any claim, the more you agree to pay the lower your premium is.
I think it's 'excess', funny how you forget the terms.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Your "out of pocket" expense if you make a claim.

We pay $850/ 6 months for 2 vehicles - a 5 year Mazda and a 2 y/o H3. Oddly my 12k Mazda was more to insure than the Hummer. A UK driving license bumps up the cost, as does every speeding ticket in the past so many years.
We went with a local insurance company because the nationals were quoting over $1000 just for my Mazda alone and giving crap coverage.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

The deductible is the starting amount for which you are "self-insured." It usually applies to the comprehensive and collision portions of a policy if that is what you have. So lets say my car is stolen and it is worth $23,000 and I have a $500 deductible, you will receive $22,500 on the claim.

You still have not stated what coverage you have.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:57 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving out to San Francisco, CA on 5 April, and so have purchased trhough International Autosource a new ford focus coupe. Now searching for car insurance.

AIG have provided 6 month quote of $960, and Progressive of $1160. Seems rather alot by UK standards even though a new car!? AIG said they have taken into consideration Ive been driving for 11 years, but still seems rather steep to me.

Is this on par with others, or am I being ripped off?

Also, any idea if I can register the car on a UK license. Will be doing test soon after (if not before) delivery of car anyway. Looking at DMV website but cant make head nor tail of it all?

Suggestions welcome!
Multiple lines do cut the price down a bit. But I think the high cost could be due to you both being new U.S. drivers and where you'll be living. I (USC) have a $30+ K sports car and pay $65 a month. My English husband has an '07 monster truck that cost $35 K new. and it is $60 on our policy. We have a lot of coverage but it is so much lower for hubby because he is on my established policy (I have zero claims/accidents/tickekts etc.)

On the other hand, my 18 yr old daughter's portion of the bill is $100 a month for liability only (does not cover her car loss) on a '93 basic Toyota Corolla. She has a perfect driving record and a good student discount. Granted, she does have great liability coverage but it's crazy what I pay for her.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think it's 'excess', funny how you forget the terms.
Ah yes that's it, own risk is the Dutch name for it!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:28 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

The deductible is the starting amount for which you are "self-insured." It usually applies to the comprehensive and collision portions of a policy if that is what you have. So lets say my car is stolen and it is worth $23,000 and I have a $500 deductible, you will receive $22,500 on the claim.

You still have not stated what coverage you have.
it is comprehensive
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

it is comprehensive
Hmm. There's no such thing here, at least in the sense of how you view it in the UK. What are you insurance coverage limits?

And in answer to your original post, insurance is, by and large, much more expensive than in the UK - not just cars, either.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

it is comprehensive
Hi:

What? I have never seen a policy that covers only comprehensive.

First -- what is the liability coverage? It is usually stated in in $ limits of individual claim and total claims [say you injure two people -- that is two claims] -- so you see figures like 30/60. Last time I looked the minimum coverage to register the car is 15/30 which is next to nothing. You better have next to no assets because one at fault accident can bankrupt you otherwise [with "judgment proof" people, my "personal injury" colleagues simply settle for "policy limits."] Also, think about an at-fault with a Mercedes 500S with no injury.

"Collision" is for physical damage to your car -- it gets fixed minus a deductible [or if the car is "totaled" by costing more to fix than its worth, you get its value minus the deductible]. BTW, if your company collects from the other guy's insurance, or you collect on your own "UM" -- you get the deductible back.

"Comprehensive" is for damage or loss to the vehicle other than by accident -- theft, vandalism, flood, etc etc. Same thing as collision coverage from a financial end. It used to be that most comp coverage had no deductible -- but you don't see that much any more -- and if you do, it costs a lot.

On collision and comp, the higher the deductible the lower the premium. It is usually better to be self-insured for $500 or $750 than pay those increased premiums. [BTW, the deductible on my home's separate earthquake coverage is something you won't believe -- but it is a small % of the house's current value that it is really catastrophe insurance].

There is "uninsured motorists" which covers you if the OTHER guy has no insurance or there is a "hit and run". In my mind, this helps cover your passengers, but also helps you. It is usually for a smaller amount than you primary liability.

There is also a low cost "med pay" coverage which is a small amount for any one in your car for medical costs. It is for a small amount amounting to non-major treatment. Personally, I don't have it -- it duplicates my medical insurance. For passengers, if it is my fault, I have liability [California and most states no longer have "guest statutes"].

Rental car coverage while your car is being repaired?

You still haven't said what kind or amount of coverage do you have.

BTW, you mentioned San Francisco. Will you be living in the City itself? Or will you be in the "Bay Area." Rates are often determined by ZIP Code. The City has higher rates.

Without all the above information, you are comparing "apples and oranges." In regards to your first question, the rates you note above don't shock me for somewhat decent coverage. Of course, you may have crappy coverage. I have no idea.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:25 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
A UK Focus is different to a US one, my husband was driving a UK one last week and said it was a totally different car to the one he's driven here, but the good news is he likes the US one better!
The UK Focus is roughly ten times better than the US one. The UK Focus/Mazda2 is pretty terrific, but here in the US the Honda Civic, Mazda3, Volvo C30, Honda Fit, Toyota Corolla, Scion xD, Saturn Astra, Nissan Sentra, Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent and even the Kia Rio are all better cars than the domestic Focus.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:35 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

thanks for the breakdown.. I will double check. we havent taken the policy yet so have time to backtrack.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the breakdown.. I will double check. we havent taken the policy yet so have time to backtrack.
Even once you take a policy, you can change your coverage limits at any time, generally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.