Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:19 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
As I mentioned, I think the "med pay" is a waste of money if you have good health insurance with no deductible [and many people disagree with me].
if you never carry any passengers other than family members maybe.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
On a side, to get a US licence I guess I need to do a written and then practical driving test? Thats the impression I get from DMV website, but wanted to check with you guys too.. You've all been so helpful. Thanks
Hi:

Yes you will have to do both. You might want to consider going to a private US driving school just for practice. First of all, you will be on the wrong side of the road and your reactions will be all wrong. [I trust you did NOT order a "manual" stick-shift transmission -- the UK is one country I will not rent a stick-shift -- I've never shifted left-handed.]

Besides the practice, you will get the hang of the rules of the road. You make ONE moving violation during the test, you instantly fail. From my daughters' experience, they are easy to make. [One time, on post-mortem I told my daughter she was clearly in the wrong but if it was any consolation I would have done the same thing].

Almost no traffic circles and the Freeways are signed quite differently [I actually like the way the British Motorways indicate off-ramps].

Besides, if you are in the City proper, it can be a bitch to drive in. [My other half lets me do it simply because I went to law school in the City and then stayed another two years -- but that was a long time ago now. However, I can still parallel park backing UP the hill in a stick shift! Also, don't forget to block the wheels the correct way!].

Good luck.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

H...[I trust you did NOT order a "manual" stick-shift transmission -- the UK is one country I will not rent a stick-shift -- I've never shifted left-handed.]...
It's a doddle though, unless your a one armed monkey, you really shouldn't have any problems with it
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get information about the CA driving test requirements on the CA DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) web site at http://www.dmv.ca.gov

Regardless of the requirement to get a CA driver's license withing 10 days of becoming resident in CA you will definitely want to get it as soon as possible because, for most practical purposes, without it you do not exist.

In the US the driver's license is the universal form of identification, and without one you will find it remarkably difficult to do anything from opening a bank account to getting your garbage collected.

You will also go through an unpleasant period of purgatory until you get a US Social Security Number. You *can* get a driver's license without one providing that you can prove that you are in the US legally, but don't expect the first five people you talk to at the DMV to know this. Opening a bank account will most likely be similarly painful.

md
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:14 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Folinskyinla;6018081]

[I trust you did NOT order a "manual" stick-shift transmission -- the UK is one country I will not rent a stick-shift -- I've never shifted left-handed.]

I figured with never having driven on the wrong side of the road in a place I dont know well, I probably wouldnt cope with a stick, so have gone for an automatic transmission... one less thing to worry about!

We are living in the financial district for 4 weeks, then moving to bay side, so not too much city driving, and we have been given a parking space by our city rental, so I wont have to park on the road.. phew!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:40 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
ok it's not a bad policy at all.

although the $5k med payments kinda scare me. it depends on whether or not your health insurance will be the primary source in case of an auto accident.
if not, then $5k will not be enough should you suffer serious injury.
When my daughter was on her dad's ins. she only had $5K for med....she was put on mine right before she turned 18 and I increased it tremendously. If she had a collision with someone without health ins. it could ruin her life (financially).
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I got quotes today - for a 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon in Pittsburgh, PA. Quotes ranged from $1000 to $1500 for six months' coverage. Will try AIG direct tomorrow.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have 4 cars...3 drivers and pay around $3K per year.

All drivers have clean records and house/contents insurance is with the same company. We have a $500 deductible...can't remember the details of the policy but know we are very well covered in case of an accident etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 7th 2008 at 2:39 am.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I think I pay about $130 a month, for my car and DH's motorcycle. However, I'm with State Farm, and have my house and flood insurance through them and I've been with them for 6 years, and the premium goes down the longer I go without making a claim. When we first got here, the only company I could get car insurance with was Progressive, but I only needed to do that for 6 months, provided I kept my nose clean, as it were. It was just as well, it cost so bloody much I've blanked it from my mind.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

That happens to be pretty good coverage. Since I'm a homeowner who bought a long time ago, the "equity" in my home is a lot so I do have an "umbrella" -- which is a policy with a $250,000 deductible which kicks in only if my other insurance is exhausted first. As I mentioned, I think the "med pay" is a waste of money if you have good health insurance with no deductible [and many people disagree with me].
I know a lot of this is state dependant, and I do not know the rules in CA.

But isn't your biggest asset your future earnings and your biggest insurance type liability your daughter?

I would call the limits low/basic, get a price or the next one up. Just for the UL cover. Probably 0.5% of your UK limits for comparison.

Medpays biggest plus is that it isn't liability based
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Boiler
I know a lot of this is state dependant, and I do not know the rules in CA.

But isn't your biggest asset your future earnings and your biggest insurance type liability your daughter?

I would call the limits low/basic, get a price or the next one up. Just for the UL cover. Probably 0.5% of your UK limits for comparison.

Medpays biggest plus is that it isn't liability based
Hi:

No, the biggest asset is the equity in my house. I mentioned the "umbrella" policy -- it is for several million dollars with a "deductible" matching the underlying insurance. It ups your liability coverage a huge amount. I also have "UI" coverage. Although the med pay is not liability based, it is expensive for the amount of coverage. If my passengers do not have medical coverage, they will be covered by either my liability, the other guys liability, or the UI coverage.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

No, the biggest asset is the equity in my house. I mentioned the "umbrella" policy -- it is for several million dollars with a "deductible" matching the underlying insurance. It ups your liability coverage a huge amount. I also have "UI" coverage. Although the med pay is not liability based, it is expensive for the amount of coverage. If my passengers do not have medical coverage, they will be covered by either my liability, the other guys liability, or the UI coverage.
And there was me thinking Lawyers were well paid.

We also have an Umbrella, can be tricky to get if you have teenage drivers.

Underinsured/Uninsured coverage from a selfish bastard perspective is a must, half the drivers in CO have no Insurance or State minimum.

I doubt if it applies to you but I know that some Medical schemes require you to max out your medpay first and its not what you bought, but what you could have bought.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:10 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I always had the umbrella with ex which allowed us to do the same.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
So this was the bones of the policy... Any good? Dont suppose I have much choice without hiking the cost of the policy!

Bodily Injury $100/300,000 Per Person/Per Accident

Property Damage $100,000 Each Accident

Medical Payments $5,000

Uninsured Motorist BI $100/300,000 Per person/Accident

Other than Collision $500 Deductible

Collision $500 Deductible w/ waiver

Towing & Labor $75.00 Per Disablement

Extended Transportation $50 Per Day / Maximum $1,500
This is almost identical to the coverage I have. I live close to downtown SF and pay about $450 with Geico to insure a 9 year old BMW for six months, i.e. about half what you are being charged. But then I do get discounts for never having made a claim etc and it sounds like you're insuring for two drivers.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This is almost identical to the coverage I have. I live close to downtown SF and pay about $450 with Geico to insure a 9 year old BMW for six months, i.e. about half what you are being charged. But then I do get discounts for never having made a claim etc and it sounds like you're insuring for two drivers.
Hi:

To Chissywissy -- this is the type of answer you needed -- he has the same coverage and lives in the same locality -- but he gives the differnces.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.