British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   OMG is car insurance really that pricey? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/omg-car-insurance-really-pricey-518866/)

Chrissywissy100 Mar 3rd 2008 5:15 pm

OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

We are moving out to San Francisco, CA on 5 April, and so have purchased trhough International Autosource a new ford focus coupe. Now searching for car insurance.

AIG have provided 6 month quote of $960, and Progressive of $1160. Seems rather alot by UK standards even though a new car!? AIG said they have taken into consideration Ive been driving for 11 years, but still seems rather steep to me.

Is this on par with others, or am I being ripped off?

Also, any idea if I can register the car on a UK license. Will be doing test soon after (if not before) delivery of car anyway. Looking at DMV website but cant make head nor tail of it all?

Suggestions welcome!

chicagojlo Mar 3rd 2008 5:18 pm

Re: OMG is car insurance really that pricey?

We are currently paying $800 on a 2000 Taurus with Progressive and that's with 6 months excellent driving history and a year's credit history. We were quoted $570 with AIG Direct yesterday and will switch asap.
I think the problem is the value of your car, since it is new (ours is worth around $5k). And if you don't have any credit history that makes a big difference.

Bluegrass Lass Mar 3rd 2008 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100 (Post 6011716)
We are moving out to San Francisco, CA on 5 April, and so have purchased trhough International Autosource a new ford focus coupe. Now searching for car insurance.

AIG have provided 6 month quote of $960, and Progressive of $1160. Seems rather alot by UK standards even though a new car!? AIG said they have taken into consideration Ive been driving for 11 years, but still seems rather steep to me.

Also, any idea if I can register the car on a UK license. Will be doing test soon after (if not before) delivery of car anyway. Looking at DMV website but cant make head nor tail of it all?

Suggestions welcome!

Rates differ by state, your driving record, type of vehicle, your credit rating and the level of insurance req'd by your state. To answer your question, yes car insurance can be that steep. Is this for liability only, or full coverage insurance? There is a diff. Did you outright purchase the vehicle, or is there a loan on it? If there is no loan, you can consider liability only instead of full coverage to save some money (assuming your quote is for full coverage). Liability covers any damage in an accident that you cause. This leaves you out on a limb, though, since you will need to cough up the dough for repairs on your vehicle.

You should just be able to call the DMV (which is a pain) to get your q's answered. I went to their website too, and you're right that is very confusing. I tried a few searches and couldn't find the info for you. Sorry.

Duncan Roberts Mar 3rd 2008 5:33 pm

One thing that helps lower the price is if you get multiple lines through the same company. Doesn't always work out best overall, but it's worth a look. We have 2 cars, house and personal item insurance through the same company and get some fat discounts for doing so.

Roland Hulme Mar 3rd 2008 5:34 pm

Sounds about right. We have two old cars (an '86 and an '85) and pay about $850 every six months.

But I have no credit rating and wifey has a terrible driving record.

Folinskyinla Mar 3rd 2008 5:38 pm

Suggestions welcome!

Hi:

What kind of coverage are you buying? You don't say. Also, if you have comp/collision -- a new car will be more expensive to insure.

Also, you obtained a Ford Focus? I was out test driving inexpensive cars with one of my off-spring and the Focus was the worst of the lot! I've also driven them from time-to-time as rentals. It just seems to be an up-dated Pinto. I had a leased Lincoln LS back in 2001 and really loved the car, but I was glad to turn it in at the end of the lease -- it was aging badly. And I'm a guy who keeps cars for more than 10 years.

A Honda Fit is a much better car. Also, the Mazda 3 seems to be based on the same design as the Focus -- but a well built one.

p.s. -- the City is one of the more expensive places to insure a car.

Belinda-wales Mar 3rd 2008 5:51 pm

I am not even telling you how much we pay for car insurance in AZ its unreal !:ohmy:

Chrissywissy100 Mar 3rd 2008 6:07 pm

I have focus in UK and am quite happy with it.. mind you buoilt in europe rather than US so may be of different quality? Anyway.. too late now!

chicagojlo Mar 3rd 2008 6:21 pm

A UK Focus is different to a US one, my husband was driving a UK one last week and said it was a totally different car to the one he's driven here, but the good news is he likes the US one better!

cindyabs Mar 3rd 2008 6:24 pm

I'm paying approx 1200 a year for insurance on 3 cars-2004 Corolla, 1998 Toyota Four Runner and a 1998 Malibu-I'm the only driver (but that's another story.)

Chrissywissy100 Mar 3rd 2008 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6012039)
A UK Focus is different to a US one, my husband was driving a UK one last week and said it was a totally different car to the one he's driven here, but the good news is he likes the US one better!

Glad the hubby likes the US focus better.. I was begining to panic!

Duncan Roberts Mar 3rd 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6012039)

But did he drive the 08 US one? It's completely redesigned. Still not the same as the European one though. Oh, and if you like the UK version of the focus, the US version is going to be very different. European version is based on the C1 platform which is what the Mazda3 is based on. The US version is based on a sponge!

NC Penguin Mar 3rd 2008 6:44 pm

Suggestions welcome!

Check the California DMV website about registering a vehicle. You have a period of x no. of days to get a CA license after becoming resident so you can't drive on the UK license for long.

Tracym Mar 3rd 2008 8:00 pm

Check what your options are for deductibles also - the higher the deductible, the cheaper the insurance.

bevinva Mar 3rd 2008 8:08 pm

I had heard that the US Focus did not compare well to the UK one, from my son a car nut.