MISSING HOME...

Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:32 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MISSING HOME...

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That's supposed to be a damn good job! When I was growing up everybody envied the guys who got on down at the Brewery, great pay, great benefits and free beer. Closest I ever got was living just south of it and sniffing yeast if the wind was right..
It is if you are an employee. I was just a contractor, a.k.a a second class citizen. I was involved with their desktop refresh project which consisted of making sure their new computers were setup and all software was installed correctly. It was a kick ass job despite the hours. The longest day I had there was 17.5 hours there and I had a blast. They even paid for dinners when projects would roll into 2 in the morning. Good times ABY. I just don't like the fact that I'd have to wait 5 years to be converted. So 5 years of no beer coupons or going to that kick ass Christmas Party at Scott Trade Center
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hurkemnl
Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???
hey, welcome... i used to live on the Herts/Essex border.. I know its a big change, but hey you will either love it or hate it here! fingers crossed its not the latter
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

That's supposed to be a damn good job! When I was growing up everybody envied the guys who got on down at the Brewery, great pay, great benefits and free beer. Closest I ever got was living just south of it and sniffing yeast if the wind was right..

I believe you can get help for that...some kind of yeast sniffing rehab perhaps
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

I know that smell... My grandparents ran a pub in England which was owned by a brewery called Thwaites. Thwaites beer was always transported in wooden barrels on big carts pulled by Shire horses - it was their trademark. That smell brings back lots of good memories...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:35 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Actually it's a good thing on certain days. If you get close enough you can smell the beer and the alcohol in it. Makes my mouth water actually. Then there are days when the beer is in the mash stage and it smells a bit off putting. Then there are days I don't smell a thing.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Actually it's a good thing on certain days. If you get close enough you can smell the beer and the alcohol in it. Makes my mouth water actually. Then there are days when the beer is in the mash stage and it smells a bit off putting. Then there are days I don't smell a thing.

So you could become a beer sniffing alcoholic then. That's a cheap addiction
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

So 5 years of no beer coupons
So there were benefits then....?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It is if you are an employee. I was just a contractor, a.k.a a second class citizen. I was involved with their desktop refresh project which consisted of making sure their new computers were setup and all software was installed correctly. It was a kick ass job despite the hours. The longest day I had there was 17.5 hours there and I had a blast. They even paid for dinners when projects would roll into 2 in the morning. Good times ABY. I just don't like the fact that I'd have to wait 5 years to be converted. So 5 years of no beer coupons or going to that kick ass Christmas Party at Scott Trade Center
And how long ago did you work there?

Off topic... Are going to the STL Mardi Gras? I've got some very nice beads reserved for you, none of that cheap stuff either...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:39 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Probably, if I wanted it...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by basementwaj
hey, welcome... i used to live on the Herts/Essex border.. I know its a big change, but hey you will either love it or hate it here! fingers crossed its not the latter
I'm an Essex's Girl, but, PLEEZ no jokes, I've heard them all

Elaine
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
I'm an Essex's Girl, but, PLEEZ no jokes, I've heard them all

Elaine
Ha, i used to live in Harlow, just 1/4 mile from posh and becks... so i have heard them all too!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:55 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Off topic... Are going to the STL Mardi Gras? I've got some very nice beads reserved for you, none of that cheap stuff either...
BEADS!!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hurkemnl
Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???

Seriously, though, I am sorry you are feeling homesick. Regarding food - check to see if there is an international food section in your local grocery store - if so, you will almost certainly be able to pick up baked beans and Marmite. If you have a World Market near you, they will have a Britsh food section.
Regarding people - if you look beneath the surface, you will find that they are not all dim. As an example, one of the Mom's at my kid's school always used to drive me mad - I thought she was so shallow and over the top, then one day, she said something which made me sit up and think. I began to take more notice of things she said and did, and I started to do the same with some of the other Mom's who had the same effect on me. I came to admire, respect and - God forbd! - like most of them.
Because we share the same language, we forget that culturally we are very different.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I live near a chocolate factory which has the same problem - some days it's awesome, other days it's foul!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:09 am
Riding on silver wings

It was back in 2004. Most likely I'm stayin' put on the KC side. Thanks for the offer though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.