MISSING HOME...

Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all
Default Re: MISSING HOME...

Originally Posted by hurkemnl
Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???
Inland Northwest here Idaho Walmarts pork and Beans are really good,Must be pork and beans not the American version of Baked beans they have brown sugar and all kinds of weird stuff.
Do understand that they are not the brightest chin up show them that good old Brit humour,if they are not to dense the may understand it.I have been gone 50 years and just come back from the Uk what a difference in the mentality I still miss it after all those years away.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I think I was pretty lucky in that my friends at work are really into all the British comedy shows on BBC America, so they 'get' me.
My friends outside of work took a little longer to understand me, but they got there in the end. It probably helps that I've spent pretty much my entire adult life as an expat surrounded by people of all nationalities though!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi...I've been here for nearly 8 years now and I still remember how homesick I was at the beginning but it does get easier...don't fight it...try and join in with local stuff as much as possible and get onto amazon.com and type in BBC and buy a few comedy dvds to get you through the really rough days.
As for food...there are places around that you can get british food from at a price...just trial and error really. Here in Texas and where I used to live, in Michigan you can find heinz, pataks etc. in Krogers, Meijers,and World Market.Take one day at a time ...you can always listen to british radio over the interenet.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???
Ah, but there are loads of smart (and lovely) Americans out there, it's just knowing where to look for them - BE is a good place to start. Off the top of my head I can think of at least five of them on here, and I can't understand why they don't live near me...

Last edited by ElaineQ; Jan 25th 2008 at 4:20 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:43 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fellow Brits!

Originally Posted by Hove
Inland Northwest here Idaho Walmarts pork and Beans are really good,Must be pork and beans not the American version of Baked beans they have brown sugar and all kinds of weird stuff.
Do understand that they are not the brightest chin up show them that good old Brit humour,if they are not to dense the may understand it.I have been gone 50 years and just come back from the Uk what a difference in the mentality I still miss it after all those years away.
This is true. I had no idea how stupid I was until I started posting on BE.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:46 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
This is true. I had no idea how stupid I was until I started posting on BE.
ROFLMAO

Good lord ABY! How did you manage to navigate the internets to this page anyway. Must have been a HUGE learning curve seein' as we're stupid and all. Hell, I can't believe I got this here job. I must be gooder in foolin' them here unlike the others.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:52 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
Ah, but there are loads of smart (and lovely) Americans out there, it's just knowing where to look for them - BE is a good place to start. Off the top of my head I can think of at least five of them of them on here, and I can't understand why they don't live near me...
I could be convinced to move.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

There you go, ugacrew and ABY. Both sharper and smarter than me and I love 'em both. And I'm English. I must be absolutely thick. Although according to tickle.com, my IQ's 142

According to proper IQ tests, though, this estimation is slightly on the high side....

Last edited by ElaineQ; Jan 25th 2008 at 4:21 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I could be convinced to move.
You should - you were one of the five I was thinking of...
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ooooh - and I've just thought of a sixth one...! You're all over the place, aren't you, like a bloody flea infestation
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:57 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hove
There's plenty of intelligent Americans .... they're probably just avoiding you.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:00 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of intelligent Americans .... they're probably just avoiding you.
She's in Idaho, she's been here 50 years and probably only met four people.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:01 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
She's in Idaho, she's been here 50 years and probably only met four people.
Lots of potatoes though.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:08 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of potatoes though.
Weird factoid about Idaho....

Idaho contains the largest crop supply of hops in the nation that's used in the production of Anheuser-Bush products. (used to work for them in the Lou ABY)
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:27 am
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Weird factoid about Idaho....

Idaho contains the largest crop supply of hops in the nation that's used in the production of Anheuser-Bush products. (used to work for them in the Lou ABY)
That's supposed to be a damn good job! When I was growing up everybody envied the guys who got on down at the Brewery, great pay, great benefits and free beer. Closest I ever got was living just south of it and sniffing yeast if the wind was right..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.