MISSING HOME...

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

hurkemnl has a spectacular aura abouthurkemnl has a spectacular aura abouthurkemnl has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy MISSING HOME...

Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:24 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MISSING HOME...

Hi, sorry you are missing home! You come from Herts which is a beautiful area to live in (OH used to live in Letchworth)

I don't know where you are in WA but find a world market
http://www.worldmarket.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp for beans etc and I'm sure bisto. Larry's market also do a few UK items.

But if you are anywhere near Redmond there is a British pantry http://www.thebritishpantryltd.com/ and there is a UK pub beside it and a UK restaurant.

I come across a few UK people (my OH more) it depends where you work - there are loads of us about (why no one comments on your accent usually in a shop)

Obviously its a different country so you will get different humour, thinking and so on. But hopefully you will settle in and it all won't be so alien to you

You've come to the right place for understanding, to let off steam etc
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:27 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hurkemnl
Hey fellow Brits!

Have just moved from Hertfordshire to the Pacific Northwest, State of Washington, been here nearly 3 months and can't seem to accept how different everything is here...especially the people (not the brightest bunch)! Maybe just missing things British?? Like a sense of humour!!!

I was craving beans on toast the other day and all I could find was Weenie Beenies, tins of beans and sausages! They didn't compare to Heinz, but did the trick! Anyone know where you can get Bisto gravy???

Do you ever stop feeling like you just want to go back to all things familiar???

Hello and welcome to BE
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fellow Brits!

It's hard to say, it depends on so many things.. but this site can help you feel more at home

Welcome
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Hey fellow Brits!
NO never...Id go home in 2 minutes time if I could.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Treestar is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: MISSING HOME...

Originally Posted by Rushman
NO never...Id go home in 2 minutes time if I could.
I'd gladly swap places with you!!!

I know the grass isn't always greener or anything but its not too great in the UK at the moment. Interest rates are up (I now pay over £650 a month for a small one bed flat), Council tax is about to go up twice as high as inflation and gas/electricity have both just gone up 17% each.

Plus forget any pay rises... and then the Government tell us to start saving money rather than spending it!!! What money????

I just can't WAIT to be in a position to emigrate, this place is going downhill fast!

I do hope you find a way to settle and feel at home, otherwise the swap option is always open
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:09 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and Welcome,

I'd suggest reading the Wiki at the top of the page about 'making friends in America' and the 'cultural differences' as a good start. The articles there are some of the comments that have been posted over the years about those subjects, and might offer some insight into what you are facing.

You've really only been a short time, and the fact you haven't found friends yet is to be expected. They might not appear to be 'the brightest bunch' but I assure you they are probably saying the same about you as well. People are pretty guarded and cautious at first until you get to know them (despite overly friendly outward appearances), and then as you learn more about them and their thoughts and beliefs, you might actually be surprised.

It short, it takes time.

You didn't really mention how long you are here for. Is it a year or two, or are you in for the whole nine yards? (Translation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whole_Nine_Yards) If you are here for good, you might look at jumping in head first to the culture and surroundings, joining groups and frequenting bars and events. Trying to get all you can out of what is around you and finding new things to enjoy. If you are a short-timer, some people prefer to stay a bit 'disconnected' with their surroundings, knowing that an eventual return to where they grew up is coming soon and not wanting to invest time in people and places they won't be around.

One thing I often recommend to expats is 'don't look back at only the good things.' Sure you remember mom and dad and your mates and beans on toast and football and humor, but do you remember the traffic and taxes and time someone was a smart ass git to you or the time some yobs puked on your doorstep or the time it was....well...bad? Try to remember some of the things YOU DIDN'T LIKE and it will help you have a more balanced view of your current situation. Of course, if you liked EVERYTHING and the UK is the perfect utopian society that you can't think of ever being away from, then really truly consider relocating if that is possible.

Anyway, do a search of the boards on homesickness and you'll find tons of posts.

Good luck.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treestar
I'd gladly swap places with you!!!

I know the grass isn't always greener or anything but its not too great in the UK at the moment. Interest rates are up (I now pay over £650 a month for a small one bed flat), Council tax is about to go up twice as high as inflation and gas/electricity have both just gone up 17% each.

Plus forget any pay rises... and then the Government tell us to start saving money rather than spending it!!! What money????

I just can't WAIT to be in a position to emigrate, this place is going downhill fast!

I do hope you find a way to settle and feel at home, otherwise the swap option is always open
Yeah almost everything is free here, and the things you do pay for never, ever go up in price.

To the OP, I think it's pretty normal to feel like that initially, it's sometimes easier just to embrace the differences or you'll drive yourself insane fighting against it. Welcome to BritishExpats.

Last edited by nethead; Jan 24th 2008 at 1:09 am. Reason: adding welcome.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Treestar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nethead
Yeah everything is free here, and the things you do pay for never, ever go up in price.
Well thanks for that, hence why I said I knew that the grass wasn't greener, I know you have bills and expenses like everybody does.

But having all of that, plus not enjoying where you live just makes it all feel a little worse, thats all.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treestar
Well thanks for that, hence why I said I knew that the grass wasn't greener, I know you have bills and expenses like everybody does.

But having all of that, plus not enjoying where you live just makes it all feel a little worse, thats all.
Which is exactly how the OP is feeling.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:40 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're feeling homesick.

The best way to get over that is to embrace the American way of life whole heartedly. I bought a cherry red Lincoln, a pair of cowboy boots and went off to my local Baptist church for a list of things I should self rightously hate.

This is an anti-smoking campaign, right? God hates cigarettes?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:53 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Roland is a star!

(just thinking out loud)
Old Jan 24th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Hey fellow Brits!

First off I'd like to say welcome to BE. I know only too well how you're feeling at the moment as I remember feeling exactly the same in my first few month in the US.
I'm afraid to say that it's just going to take time to adjust and as others have mentioned just try and embrace the change and accept things happen differently. Try getting a new interest and meeting new people. I think keeping an open mind helped me a great deal. I'm here two years this June and the thought of going back for an extended visit this summer both excites me but makes me a little nervous as I'm going to miss it here.
As for the food thing the first few months will be the hardest on that score too. As time goes on you find new things and don't start to crave the things from back home. Although I love it when we get family over and they bring us a little stash of all our old favorites.
Hang on in there it will get better. You have been brave enough to make the move and at least you won't be say in the UK wondering what would have happened if you hadn't made the move. Try and take the good from everything and stay positive, we've all felt like you have at one point or another. Hope it gets better soon.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Your not alone, there's been quite a few threads on the subject, all with pretty good advice which you might want to search out
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:52 am
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. I think you're living in Battleground, WA? If so, life will get a lot better when it starts warming up and you can explore the area a bit more. There are some great places to see in that area: Oregon/Washington beaches, mountains, Mount St. Helens etc. Also, Portland isn't that far away, definitely a fun city and I think there are a couple of English pubs there? If you're in need of baked beans, English goodies find a Cost Plus, I stock up there. Hope you feel more at home soon, it does get easier.
Naomi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.