It's not all Bad........

Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:23 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not all Bad........

Originally Posted by dunroving
But let Cricket get the last post or we'll never hear the last of it.
I think it would be rather nice if TC had the last word on this alley cat debate
Attached Images  
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

Th UK is in a very bad way at the moment, government is handing out billions upon billions to no avail, banks are losing money head over heals and small companies are closing up at an incredible rate. I can walk through birmingham and the evidence is quite clear, many shop have closed down, and many more are in deep trouble.
Major companies that have been round yr's and yr's are finished, the likes of GKN and many other manufacturing companies.

People are hording money, not enough is been spent on the hight street, thats the idea of the VAT cut.

But in all recessions there are people that will make, ie food stores, betting shops and so on, people out of work don't just sit at hope, boardom sets in ad spending is a way of passing time - fact.

BBC News website is following the recession and all thats happening, very informative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7839361.stm
Old Feb 28th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Candy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura aboutCandy001 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dunroving
I esperienced the same thing (I left in 1983). I didn't have a lot of family left behind in the UK, and my family upbringing was far from what you'd call "normal", therefore I didn't have so much of the family pull that many exapts cite as being the main reason for returning.

But I did keep getting this yearning for a place where people would understand certain aspects of my humour, or my references to Blue Peter ("Get down Shep!"), or why I gave the Carol Smillie Award to the smiliest student every year, etc., etc. So, as you said, I felt like I had left part of me behind that could never exist in the US. I would have the BBC news on while working at the computer, watch BBCAmerica, etc., to "fill the need" I perceived. Don't get me wrong; I was quite happy in the US (I recently rediscovered this ironically titled BE article taken from a thread of mine in 2006: http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...d/not-all-bad/) , but I just felt that I didn't belong there long-term.

In reality, when I did return to the UK, I found that (a) I was actually very out of tune with the UK (I had missed over 20 years of British news, culture, sport, etc., after all), and felt more of a stranger here than I did in the US (where in fact, being a foreigner was "normal"); (b) I was bowled over by how many things were so different from what I expected; and (c) I realised that despite many visits back over the years, I had not carefully enough weighed up the US vs UK thing, and had underresearched (ironic as I am a researcher) the realities of many aspects of being back (most notably my economic status, and the nature of my professional life here).

This is my experience. Yours may differ, but my biggest piece of advice would be not to give up what you have unless you are absolutely sure. Also, I'd recommend you try to find a "suck it and see" option (move back for a temporary - say, 12-month - stay, and then decide). If I'd done that (I had the chance of taking a 12-month sabbatical, and stupidly turned it down), I know for sure I'd have been running back to the States as fast as my little legs could carry me on day 365 ... now I'm still here after almost 3 years and just heard that a job in the US that I was shortlisted for has been frozen due to the economic crisis ...
Thank you for your honesty - much appreciated
I am sorry to hear about your move back to UK - I have thought about the very same things too - but I keep coming back the bottom line which is "family". Both my parents have done quite well over the years - but age is catching up to them - I would like to be close before the fact and not after.
I have been researching for some time - maybe overlooking things, as I am very homesick. It will take a while still - we are still in discussion mode
it is a step that I will be taking with my family not by myself (not that I cannot I truly do not want to lose my children or husband.
"United we stand, divided we fall"

ps. you were in a beautiful part of the US - we were in SC last summer on vacation with family from UK
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricket1
So I sadly lack integrity do I? Oh Dear. I think not. I have not attacked Tricia, Dunroving or anyone personally. If they feel they must compare themselves, they must ask themselves why they need to do this.
As you've joined the bandwagon USA gypsies, you perhaps need to ask yourself also why you needed to post the above comments?

Isn't that right Tricia? Didn't you PM me with your possible motives for moving to Oz. Just got to justify it by sinking the UK first.
I had to read that last sentence again to make sure I wasn't seeing things but it does show you in your true light. My 2 pm's to you were concerning the property market over here & I advised you that 2010 would probably be a good time to buy as I thought there was still some falling in prices to go, GOOD news for anyone prepared to wait. I also chatted to you about my upset that my daughter was probably to remain in Aus with her Aus b/f after meeting him whilst travelling, I also told you my son had enjoyed his travels and would go back if my hub and I went too, leaving me rather dreading the thought that I might one day be forced to leave the UK for Aus if that was where my children ended up. I mistakenly thought it was friendly chat.

I don't need to justify anything, I'm not moving anywhere, my reasons for posting was that I thought my experiences might prove useful to anyone wanting to know about the possible risks of setting up a business, what the housing market is like etc etc etc. Just because you perceive your own 'blinkers' for some kind of euphoric optimism doesn't mean we have to follow you. I also didn't think I needed to say 'but hey folks, we're fighters, nothing gets us down, had far worse times than this when blah de blah happened but we will come through'. It is of course true and we will get through it, I just don't like to blow my own trumpet, another wonderful British trait which you seem to have lost.

The other poster is right, unless everyone agrees with you you get the claws out.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:56 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who moves back to the UK jobless, with unemployment at a 10yr high is either incredibly brave, or incredibly foolish.

Just bide your time and wait until this mess is finally over.

Last edited by Danny B; Mar 2nd 2009 at 2:31 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:53 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Anyone who moves back to the UK jobless, with unemployment at a 10yr high is either incredibly brave, or incredibly foolish.

Just bide your time and wait until this mess is finally over.
I agree, but I'd say the same for any relocation now. If a person has reasonably reliable employment, it's iffy to move anywhere without at least the same where they're going. Plus, in hard time, we're better off where we understand the system and have friends and relatives, so I wouldn't advise anyone to emigrate unless they were really sure of a good, lasting job. It can be hard to tell that from the outside.

One friend moved a distance within Canada, mostly for a change. The job looked good, but he didn't understand the real situation there. Job disappeared within 6 months. Everyone there had known how it was going, but he didn't.

Unless you're sure where your income's coming from, give it at least a year to see how things shake out.

Bev
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Ruby, it wasn't that long ago you were on these boards posting about leaving your husband high and dry while you took off. Then you openly slated your husband's character quite fervently. Then you decided you were better off sticking with him rather than face financial uncertainty by moving back to the UK alone.
Are you sure you want to start taking the moral high ground?

I've read this entire thread.

I've read lots of these threads, silently, for months. And you have repeatedly detailed your life circumstances.

Then, when someone mentioned your life circumstances ... you told them this was a below the belt comment.

Then, a page later, and you are throwing someone's private life in their face, in public.

Someone should tell you that the name of this forum is not the 'Cricket Forum'