It's not all Bad........

Old Feb 26th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Tricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of lightTricia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: It's not all Bad........

[QUOTE=dunroving;7327048
So, no, being sensible and toughing it out doesn't mean you are immune to the sheistering that's been going on the past 10 years. If I had a crystal ball back in Spring, 2007, I wouldn't have bought a house - but then even the smartest financial minds didn't see this coming, apparently, so what chance do we lesser mortals have?

Sorry, but the broad generalization that people only have themselves and their greedy lifestyles to blame for the mess they are in is horsesh*t. For some people, maybe, but there's a lot of hardworking people who have caight the sharp end of this situation through no real fault of their own. And whining about it doesn't mean they don't know what tough means. It means they are currently in deep trouble and don't see a way out.[/QUOTE]

Karma to you Dunroving, this is the essence I have been trying to get over

Edit: sorry, the quote thing didn't work properly
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricia

If you just put a close bracket after the first "Quote" thingy (top left, after the 7327048), it should sort it. It happens when you delete the first part of someone's post and by accident also delete the end bracket.

Sometimes it's hilarious because there follows a long string of responses where you can't figure out who is responding to who or who said what. [Yes, I'm easily entertained, as one of my students kindly pointed out in class this week]
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:31 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricia

So you don't think I've ever lost 'everything'? I've actually lost 'everything' twice. Once in the recession of the early 90's, although I was lucky, I broke even on the house as opposed to being in negative equity but still came out with nothing. The second time was in Australia after my ex took off.
I've spent the last 2 years climbing back up.

There's something that really pisses me off about the British psyche and it really worries me about coming back. Their whining attitude and tendancy to find a scapegoat for when it all goes wrong yet when they're climbing upwards, they can be quite arrogant gloating in their own perceived success.

As much as I don't like Australia, I love their battler attitude. 1,000's have just lost everything in bushfires. There's no time for recrimination and blame, they're just focused on rebuilding their lives.

I'm pretty much of the same attitude. When I lost everything twice over, I might have gone through a short spell feeling angry but I soon got over it, got my focus back and rebuilt my life.
Currently I am at the mercy of friends in the UK whining on about what a mess their lives are in, how they will never be free of debt, how it's all turned to crap and how it's all the fault of the government, yet they refuse to take any form of control of their own situation themselves.
This reminds me of the painful attitude of some people that it's far easier to go into victim mode and bleat on about how bad things are, than accept that they are bad, and start putting a plan together.

It honestly does not make me want to return. Oh and BTW, it's tough in Australia too but I never hear them complaining.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think there's good reason to think positively - but we should also consider the poor buggers who through no fault of their own, are in a financial pickle.
I hope I don't sound as if I'm not considering them. I am, and I really feel for them, especially retired people using some investments to supplement their income and now finding that money halved or gone. Or sound small businesses being squeezed, Tricia, simply because people are afraid to spend and banks are sitting on what little money they have like broody hens.

But I think we have to see what is, not what was or what we want it to be as we plan how to steer through all this.

Bev
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
So you don't think I've ever lost 'everything'?
- not sure what I said that implied that - in fact I said we both have experienced similar challenges and tough times. As I said, I have no desire to trade "tough life" stories. It reminds me too much of that Monty Python sketch about living in a paper bag in the middle o' t' road.

I've actually lost 'everything' twice. Once in the recession of the early 90's, although I was lucky, I broke even on the house as opposed to being in negative equity but still came out with nothing. .
- so how does this qualify as losing everything? [Amazingly coincidentally, I ended up the same way, put 1,000's into renovating an old Victorian and after 3 years barely broke even]. You were just bemoaning poeple who complained about losing everything, when in fact the bank owns it all. I think in their case, they were in negative equity

The second time was in Australia after my ex took off. I've spent the last 2 years climbing back up..
Of course, I already know this. I've read most of your posts, in which you tell us this repeatedly.

There's something that really pisses me off about the British psyche ..
- That is pretty obvious from several of your recent posts.

and it really worries me about coming back. Their whining attitude and tendancy to find a scapegoat for when it all goes wrong yet when they're climbing upwards, they can be quite arrogant gloating in their own perceived success. ..
On the one hand, you seem to see the whole British nation as a bunch of whining, spoilt brats, and then in other threads you sing the praises of the U.K. It's confusing

As much as I don't like Australia, I love their battler attitude. 1,000's have just lost everything in bushfires. There's no time for recrimination and blame, they're just focused on rebuilding their lives...
- in similar circumstances, I think Brits rally together in a similar way.

I'm pretty much of the same attitude. When I lost everything twice over, I might have gone through a short spell feeling angry but I soon got over it, got my focus back and rebuilt my life....
Currently I am at the mercy of friends in the UK whining on about what a mess their lives are in, how they will never be free of debt, how it's all turned to crap and how it's all the fault of the government, yet they refuse to take any form of control of their own situation themselves.
This reminds me of the painful attitude of some people that it's far easier to go into victim mode and bleat on about how bad things are, than accept that they are bad, and start putting a plan together.

It honestly does not make me want to return. Oh and BTW, it's tough in Australia too but I never hear them complaining.
Cricket, you post a lot of encouraging things on here, telling people they can rebuild their lives, etc., don't let other people bother you, the power is within you to overcome, etc., and I commend you for that. But then you seem to let yourself get extremely bothered ("at the mercy of"?) by what you see as the whining of your friends. Well, call me a whiner, too, while you're at it. I dare say I'll pick myself up by the bootstraps and make something of my remaining 14 years of work before retirement. I'm sure it won't be in as spectacular a fashion as you are evidently capable of, but I know how to overcome adversity and I've been working for the past two years at solving some of the problems I currently have. As I do so, I'll probably have another good whine now and again about the Blair-Brown-Bush years and what it did to my finances while I was supposedly doing the right thing. But please don't paint everyone with the same brush - just because I like a good whine doesn't mean I deserve everything I got like everyone else seems to (from your comments)
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:04 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

- not sure what I said that implied that - in fact I said we both have experienced similar challenges and tough times. As I said, I have no desire to trade "tough life" stories. It reminds me too much of that Monty Python sketch about living in a paper bag in the middle o' t' road.

- so how does this qualify as losing everything? [Amazingly coincidentally, I ended up the same way, put 1,000's into renovating an old Victorian and after 3 years barely broke even]. You were just bemoaning poeple who complained about losing everything, when in fact the bank owns it all. I think in their case, they were in negative equity

Of course, I already know this. I've read most of your posts, in which you tell us this repeatedly.

- That is pretty obvious from several of your recent posts.

On the one hand, you seem to see the whole British nation as a bunch of whining, spoilt brats, and then in other threads you sing the praises of the U.K. It's confusing

- in similar circumstances, I think Brits rally together in a similar way.

Cricket, you post a lot of encouraging things on here, telling people they can rebuild their lives, etc., don't let other people bother you, the power is within you to overcome, etc., and I commend you for that. But then you seem to let yourself get extremely bothered ("at the mercy of"?) by what you see as the whining of your friends. Well, call me a whiner, too, while you're at it. I dare say I'll pick myself up by the bootstraps and make something of my remaining 14 years of work before retirement. I'm sure it won't be in as spectacular a fashion as you are evidently capable of, but I know how to overcome adversity and I've been working for the past two years at solving some of the problems I currently have. As I do so, I'll probably have another good whine now and again about the Blair-Brown-Bush years and what it did to my finances while I was supposedly doing the right thing. But please don't paint everyone with the same brush - just because I like a good whine doesn't mean I deserve everything I got like everyone else seems to (from your comments)

That it?
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:07 am
Ping-ponger

That it?
Until tomorrow at least. It's past midnight here and the central heating has been off for a few hours so it's getting cold .... oh damn, there I go getting whiney again.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:20 am
Banned

Until tomorrow at least. It's past midnight here and the central heating has been off for a few hours so it's getting cold .... oh damn, there I go getting whiney again.
Yes but now I can see that you're in Scotland and we all know how the lack of sun affects the Brits.

I think you missed my point anyway or maybe I didn't communicate it properly. I have every sympathy for people who've worked hard and are now facing a frugal life but what's wrong with doing the hard yard for a while until things pick up?
No one died having to live life with less and at least in the UK people are taken care of reasonably well when it really goes belly up.
I don't get the tantrum thing at all and yes, that's probably because of my frugal upbringing. Great when times are good but when they're not, I know how to survive them. What's the point in moaning?

As for the government bailing out banks and car manufacturers, imagine what would happen if they didn't? Mega losses on an unimaginable scale with not enough revenue coming in to fund the welfare state.
Nah, I'm happy doing it tough for a while and just getting on with it until it all subsides. Which it will.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Cental heating? Luxury
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sick of hearing people moan on about how they perceive things as being 'tough'.........
I wonder, do you have a lot of people complaining to you personally (perhaps in your line of work)?
I don't see anyone managing off one meal a day.....:
My only meal was often the school lunch as a child too.
and I haven't heard of anyone freezing to death in their home so my perception of tough is probably very different to most people's. End of rant.:curse:
.....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28858971/
I had an elderly aunt that was found dead in her flat during winter of 2005, in Westcliff, god rest her soul.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
I wonder, do you have a lot of people complaining to you personally (perhaps in your line of work)?
My only meal was often the school lunch as a child too. .....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28858971/
I had an elderly aunt that was found dead in her flat during winter of 2005, in Westcliff, god rest her soul.

No, I meet happy people in my job. The only people complaining are people in the UK unfortunately. What they complain about is mostly about having no money ie credit and having to give up 'important' things like eating out. They still drive 2 cars though even though they only need one car and their credit cards are all maxed out because they had to put the recent holiday on them.:curse:

In the UK today and during the last few years, power companies cannot disconnect power to the homes of the elderly or where there are children. This is a big improvement.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:25 pm
Banned

Just out of interest and to put things in perspective, has anyone noticed the massive jump in the UK of people being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? It's huge and mostly it's due to obesity.

The last thing I worry about is the economy. I worry more about not being able to see a doctor if I ever need one because I stayed healthy while others didn't. To me, the growing demand on the NHS is a real crisis. I'm glad the government bailed banks and car manufacturers out because the wider nightmare is the cutbacks that would happen in health and education if they didn't.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:45 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bevm
I hope I don't sound as if I'm not considering them. I am, and I really feel for them, especially retired people using some investments to supplement their income and now finding that money halved or gone. Or sound small businesses being squeezed, Tricia, simply because people are afraid to spend and banks are sitting on what little money they have like broody hens.

But I think we have to see what is, not what was or what we want it to be as we plan how to steer through all this.

Bev
No, you didn't come aross that way at all - my comment was just a general one.

And yes, I agree with you about how we need to figure out how we are going to get out of this mess. But a good whine every now and again about what a mess we're in does sometimes help.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:13 pm
Ping-ponger

Yes but now I can see that you're in Scotland and we all know how the lack of sun affects the Brits.

I think you missed my point anyway or maybe I didn't communicate it properly. I have every sympathy for people who've worked hard and are now facing a frugal life but what's wrong with doing the hard yard for a while until things pick up?
No one died having to live life with less and at least in the UK people are taken care of reasonably well when it really goes belly up.
I don't get the tantrum thing at all and yes, that's probably because of my frugal upbringing. Great when times are good but when they're not, I know how to survive them. What's the point in moaning?

As for the government bailing out banks and car manufacturers, imagine what would happen if they didn't? Mega losses on an unimaginable scale with not enough revenue coming in to fund the welfare state.
Nah, I'm happy doing it tough for a while and just getting on with it until it all subsides. Which it will.
OK, now I've had my first cup of coffee and the central heating is back on (yes, we do have luxuries in Scotland, Sally ), I'll tell you what the "tantrum" was about (I personally thought it was more of a "rant"; old people rants, babies have tantrums, etc. - or maybe that was your point).

Let me start off by again saying you provide a lot of positive "get off your *rse and move" type advice to people, and sometimes they really need it, so more power to you.

My "rant" was because there are times when you seem to portray yourself as the only person on these boards who (a) had it rough and (b) has the gumption to succeed in life. Your own "rants" in this thread were offensive to me and others who are in a pickle despite the fact we are not greedy, whining, materialistic people (OK, maybe we whine a little now and again). Take Tricia, for example, who is struggling to keep her business afloat because of the economic situation. She doesn't seem greedy or materialistic at all.

When someone is in that position, they don't take favorably to responses that say, in essence, "I'm sick of people in Britain complaining about life being tough when it's all their own fault", and "quit whining and be more like me - and just in case you haven't read my threads, here is the story once again of where I came from, who screwed me over and what a fantastic business plan I now have." I'm sure you deserve every success you have achieved through dint of your discipline, drive, and ingenuity. But please quit telling us that we're such a bunch of losers if we're not just like you.

OK, second "tantrum" well and truly over.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bevm

... So new businesses will develop and in a few years things will have steadied, but they'll be different. It'll be interesting to see what new business opportunities there are going to be. We had someone here who was going to help people learn to raise chickens. That sounds good.

If I were that way inclined, I'd look at a business helping people to have their own vegetable garden. Helping prepare the land and choose stuff to plant, set up irrigation or whatever support they needed. Be available to take care of it if they're away. In fact, I'd hire such a company once I was settled!

Let's come up with some ideas. What items or services would you pay for now if they were available?

Bev
Well, I have never really bought a load of "stuff" (clothes, shoes, handbags, toys, TV's, etc.), but maybe one service would be sorting through people's "stuff" and helping them to put it on eBay ...

For me, off the top of my head, I'd pay someone who would:

1) Delete all the garbage emails from my work email account before I open my Inbox every day. I get over 100 a day and most of them are a waste of my time (but I still have to read them to find out if they are important ...)

2) Clean my house

3) Help me with work around the house that needs two pairs of hands

4) Wash my car at my house (I barely have time on the way home to fill up the gas tank, so you can forget going through the car wash)

... and lastly ...

5) Be my BE time-out monitor (slap me in the back of the head when I've been on BE too long and I really should be getting to work - like now).

Essentially, my work hours leave me so little time that I need help with just about everything, so whatever the "life" equivalent is of a personal assistant, that's what I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.