Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I remember when.................

I remember when.................

Old Mar 14th 2010, 3:15 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I remember when.................

Originally Posted by Steerpike
That's a funny one! Moral of the story - always do what your cat says, and expect a reward for doing as you are told
How could it possibly be otherwise?
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing JFK's funeral on tv (sort of). I remember when we only had 1 channel (CBS), and I was the remote. I also remember my family in a panic back in Oct. 62, and my father saying we were going to war with Russia. That was some scary sh*t. We packed the car up and went to my aunt's house in Peru, IN. Which was close to Bunker Hill (later Grissom) AFB. My uncle was a B-52 crew member, and his squadron actually flew off to Spain, I believe.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when it was the old people that said "I remember when.." and not my age group.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:47 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Black and white TV
only getting 3 channels
A car where the entire front was the door that looked like this

reel to reel tape recorders
Big radios as big as the old box TV's

Daily milk deliveries
The mobile store, a box truck that came around the streets selling bread, produce and sweets
Worzel Gummidge
The original Dr Who
Dial telephones
The sweet shop with jars covering all the walls and the guy having a big step ladder to get the jars down
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
Black and white TV
only getting 3 channels
A car where the entire front was the door that looked like this
http://www.toyzine.com/auctions/Ammo...tintoy-car.jpg
http://trendsupdates.com/wp-content/...8/Isetta_2.jpg
reel to reel tape recorders
Big radios as big as the old box TV's
http://www.homeentertainment.com.au/nord.jpg
Daily milk deliveries
The mobile store, a box truck that came around the streets selling bread, produce and sweets
Worzel Gummidge
The original Dr Who
Dial telephones
The sweet shop with jars covering all the walls and the guy having a big step ladder to get the jars down

OMG! Bubble car number 2 my mother had that exact colour and model lol
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, you're all ancient.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I remember my Mum using a mangle on washing day to squeeze out all the water out of the clothes before putting them on the line to dry.

I also remember her sending me and my sister to the Gaumont cinema on Saturday morning with 1shilling 3d each to watch the Saturday morning matinee (Lone ranger, Champion the wonder horse, cartoons such as mighty mouse, atom ant and Tom and Jerry) I think it was 1 shilling (5p) each and we had 3d (1.5p) to buy an ice cream at the interval

I remember as an 9 year old being allowed to cycle down to the river trent with a pack of jam sandwiches and fishing all day without anyone worrying about me. I used to get home between 6-8pm (once came home at 10pm and got a pasting from my Dad)

Mum reserving a set time on the telephone to call our relatives in Australia at Christmas.

Ah they were the days
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I remember my Mum using a mangle on washing day to squeeze out all the water out of the clothes before putting them on the line to dry.

I also remember her sending me and my sister to the Gaumont cinema on Saturday morning with 1shilling 3d each to watch the Saturday morning matinee (Lone ranger, Champion the wonder horse, cartoons such as mighty mouse, atom ant and Tom and Jerry) I think it was 1 shilling (5p) each and we had 3d (1.5p) to buy an ice cream at the interval

I remember as an 9 year old being allowed to cycle down to the river trent with a pack of jam sandwiches and fishing all day without anyone worrying about me. I used to get home between 6-8pm (once came home at 10pm and got a pasting from my Dad)

Mum reserving a set time on the telephone to call our relatives in Australia at Christmas.

Ah they were the days
A trip down memory lane, the good old days.

Reg. Frank R
Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:37 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I remember all having baths and washing our hair on a Sunday night and getting into pajamas, and then being allowed to stay up a little late to watch "The World About us" with David Attenborough. Even now his voice comforts me and takes me back to that happy place.

I remember also that while we were watching it, we all ate sardines on toast and thought this was a special treat! I would hurl if you tried to feed me that now.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:03 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
I remember all having baths and washing our hair on a Sunday night and getting into pajamas, and then being allowed to stay up a little late to watch "The World About us" with David Attenborough. Even now his voice comforts me and takes me back to that happy place.

I remember also that while we were watching it, we all ate sardines on toast and thought this was a special treat! I would hurl if you tried to feed me that now.
Pilchards
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:12 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I remember "once a week" baths I also remember my mum complaining when school dinners went up to a Shilling(5p) a day! I mean 5 shillings for a whole week of school dinners

I still have a 10 Bob (Shilling) note,

I used earn one of these for delivering newspapers every morning 6:30am - 7:30am, 6 days a week (a whole 50p a week)

I feel really old now

Originally Posted by Juswus

Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:19 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I remember "once a week" baths I also remember my mum complaining when school dinners went up to a Shilling(5p) a day! I mean 5 shillings for a whole week of school dinners

I still have a 10 Bob (Shilling) note,
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...1&ppuser=43146

I used earn one of these for delivering newspapers every morning 6:30am - 7:30am, 6 days a week (a whole 50p a week)

I feel really old now
We used to get a go in the slipper baths, sometimes, as a change from the galvanised steel tub.

And, do you remember how, even after it was all new money, you could sometimes save up thruppeny bits and still get sweets for them?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

You were robbed. we used to go with a bob, 6d to get in 3d for an ice cream and 3d for a poke of chips on the way home.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:16 am
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We used to get a go in the slipper baths, sometimes, as a change from the galvanised steel tub.

And, do you remember how, even after it was all new money, you could sometimes save up thruppeny bits and still get sweets for them?
We had a posh bath inside its own room in the house, no galvanised tub for us.

Thruppenny bits(three penny bits for you young uns, a 12 sided brass-copper coin
now there was a coin with some weight in it I remember having a pocket full at an slot machine arcade in Skegness and having to keep pulling up my trousers because the weight was pulling them down

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Mar 21st 2010 at 11:22 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:20 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Fingerbobs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.