Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I remember when.................

I remember when.................

Old Mar 21st 2010, 12:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I remember when.................

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Christ, you're all ancient.
..........................and your point would be, what????
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:33 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you are getting old when.... you start citing all the films the actor has been in when you see them in the current film. Or you watch the silver screen channel and identify the current actors (your age group) from the child actors in the old films
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Guess i'm a moldy'oldie, was six years old when we got our first black & white telly, only stations we got were one BBC and ITV and BBC was off the air till late in the afternoon so not haveing a remote was not a problem.
I remember playing conkers when i was a kid, it was a big thing at Taddy grammer school with some good tournements going on. You can't get much lower tech than that but we had a great deal of fun with them, the ultimate prize being the last one with the unbroken conker.
Yes, the KING CONKER

Charles
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:43 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit
Guess i'm a moldy'oldie, was six years old when we got our first black & white telly, only stations we got were one BBC and ITV and BBC was off the air till late in the afternoon so not haveing a remote was not a problem.
I remember playing conkers when i was a kid, it was a big thing at Taddy grammer school with some good tournements going on. You can't get much lower tech than that but we had a great deal of fun with them, the ultimate prize being the last one with the unbroken conker.
Yes, the KING CONKER

Charles
Conkers the ultimate in competitive innovation. Whether to bake or not, select a round or slight angled one, how to bore the hole and shoelace or sizel string
Old Mar 21st 2010, 2:47 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Conkers the ultimate in competitive innovation. Whether to bake or not, select a round or slight angled one, how to bore the hole and shoelace or sizel string
I remember putting them in the airing cupboard as I was told this would make them stronger. don't know if it did or not
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:01 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I remember having a TV that you had to tune in with a rotary switch. When we got our first colour telly I remember being quizzed by a teacher to see if I was lying
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I remember having a TV that you had to tune in with a rotary switch. When we got our first colour telly I remember being quizzed by a teacher to see if I was lying
I remember there was a Tomorrow's World episode where they told you they were going to transmit something in colour (it was a spoof).
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:07 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I remember there was a Tomorrow's World episode where they told you they were going to transmit something in colour (it was a spoof).
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:09 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Thydney
We had the first colour telly on our street too and no one believed me at school. My Dad was something of a techno freak. We were the first to get Storage Heaters! Damn swelter all night as the heaters warmed up the concrete(or whateve it was) blocks and then released their heat all day.

Before that it was coal fires and when the money was low a few bags of Nutty Slack LOL
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I remember "once a week" baths ....
I remember those too! Amazing to think of it now; These days, I can't function in the morning without a shower. Not only did we have weekly baths, but if memory serves, I shared the water with my brother!

I guess the cold weather had something to do with it! When I first came here 27 years ago I worked with some Brits who utterly stank of BO ... I figured they were still on the once-a-week shower routine despite being in sunny California (either that or they were on a similar 'one clean shirt a week' gig!)
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You know when you are getting old when.... you start citing all the films the actor has been in when you see them in the current film. Or you watch the silver screen channel and identify the current actors (your age group) from the child actors in the old films
You know you are getting old when ... movies you think are 'must see' timeless classics have not even been seen (or heard of!!!) by younger folks you encounter. I was shocked and dismayed to learn that one young person I work with had never seen 'The Graduate', and had not even heard of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". These were both 'life changing' movies to me.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:50 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Steerpike
You know you are getting old when ... movies you think are 'must see' timeless classics have not even been seen (or heard of!!!) by younger folks you encounter. I was shocked and dismayed to learn that one young person I work with had never seen 'The Graduate', and had not even heard of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". These were both 'life changing' movies to me.
Also when you know all thelyrics of the current songs....and the original was far better than the pap that is being put out by the factory music system today
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Toontje
I still have mine.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:20 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
OK I didnt see this and posted on the other thread, I saw the colour, I did I remember there were three little symbols on the screen ad we had to wear coloured toffee papers on our eyes, not crazy ... but it sounds like it now!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I remember those too! Amazing to think of it now; These days, I can't function in the morning without a shower. Not only did we have weekly baths, but if memory serves, I shared the water with my brother!
We were the same in our house when I was a kid. We had a bath every sunday night (whether we needed it or not!) I'd go in after my sister!

Now I have at least two showers a day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.