Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I remember when.................

I remember when.................

Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default I remember when.................

You walked up to the telly, pressed on, selected from 1, 2 or 3, sat down and watched.

Having spent the day packing for a house move I decided to sit down with a cuppa before starting the tea.

I hardly ever watch telly but I thought I'd have a look, what am I faced with...........

1 Telly, cant find a single button on it.
5 Boxes of various shapes and sizes underneath, flashing like Nassa Mission Control.
3 Remotes.

45 minutes later I'm sitting here with a blank screen, I had some sound for 2 minutes, and a picture of a sunflower for a nanosecond.

Right rant over I'm off to cook the tea.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:50 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I remember when.................

I remember when our phone number was 3 digits and the receiver was attached to the machine with a curly wire that would get so tangled you could never get it back to its original shape.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

I remember going to the baker's store, getting the bread and asking the baker's wife to "write it up". And every now and then, about once a month, my mom would go the the baker's store to pay the bill. Same thing in the local grocery store.
The milkman would deliver the milk to our doorstep and he would get paid, I think, once a week. We would leave the empty milk bottles out for the milkman to return to the plant to be reused.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Black and white TV, remote wasn't even invented yet. Two dutch stations and one, and if we were "lucky" two, german stations.

Years later, when I was around twelve years old, at a friend of mine they got a tv with a remote control. Granted, it was connected to the tv by a 12' wire.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:39 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Black and white TV, remote wasn't even invented yet. Two dutch stations and one, and if we were "lucky" two, german stations.

Years later, when I was around twelve years old, at a friend of mine they got a tv with a remote control. Granted, it was connected to the tv by a 12' wire.

wow your old
Old Mar 11th 2010, 12:47 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when you could go to the shop with 50p get a can of pop, a whizz bar, crisps, some Uncle Joes loads of penny mix and still come out with change you just cant do that nowadays and you know why?

bloody cctv
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:26 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I remember buying all our groceries from a corner shop about the size of my living room with the walls packed with cans and boxes stacked all the way to the ceiling, with some items so high up, you needed a claw on a pole to get them down.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
I remember buying all our groceries from a corner shop about the size of my living room with the walls packed with cans and boxes stacked all the way to the ceiling, with some items so high up, you needed a claw on a pole to get them down.
and a sack of spuds with a scale lol

I think employing disabled east European is commendable
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when people had those ridiculous wired TV remotes....true health and safety trip hazards! Nowadays I'm sure the manufacturers would be sued for something like that....
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:59 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when we were growing up and started driving my parents had an account at the local petrol "gas" station, so we could go in fill up whenever we wanted and never had to part with cash - except for our ciggies...... and then the magic fairy paid the bill

I also remember our first vcr - it came in 2 parts as 1 part could be hooked up to a camera to take video, it was hooooooooooooggggggggeeeeee!!!!! and always chewed up the tapes!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:04 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I remember when people had those ridiculous wired TV remotes....true health and safety trip hazards! Nowadays I'm sure the manufacturers would be sued for something like that....
The first remote I ever saw was at a friend's house. His dad was a copper, and we all thought he was rich, despite living on the same crappy council estate as us. It didn't have a wire, it was 'sonic'. You pressed a single button and it clicked and the channel went up one. Awesome technology.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I remember how nice it used to be to go out for the day and the evening and the only phone I had was the house phone, so you could get away and no bastard could get to you, especially on a weekend, Friday to Monday was a pleasure.

Yes I could turn the phone off or not take it with me but thats not an option.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I remember party line telephone service and getting our first tv in the 1950's. Remember a time before computers and cells and needing to be in touch with the world 24/7 and having time to pursue leisurely pleasures and talking with friends face to face over tea. I remember kindly older neighbors teaching me to crochet and knit when I first had my girls and learning to sew on a non-electric pedal Singer Sewing Machine. I remember getting $1.00 on Saturday mornings twice a month for my sister and I to go to the movies where we would sit through cartoons, newsreels, coming attractions and double features with money left over for soda and popcorn. I remember learning to type on a manual typewriter with a paper over the keys so you couldn't see the keys. I recall carbon paper and mimeograph machines and brownie cameras. I remember earning 50 cent an hour to babysit and saving that money to buy something special my parents could not afford to get me.

Laudy, I'm a dinosaur.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I remember when.................

This subject got me thinking about "The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch" featuring Tim Brooke-Taylor, John Cleese, Graham Chapman & Marty Feldman.

Here it is for your viewing pleasure;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA

Jim.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I remember getting 4 for a penny (old penny) chews in the local sweet shop and them having a large tray of various penny sweets as well. I remember getting our first B & W television and not long after that Kennedy got shot and then Winston Churchill died and thinking the world was coming to an end. I was only about 7 or 8 at the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.