Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I remember when.................

I remember when.................

Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I remember when.................

The rag and bone man, free colouring books or a goldfish (that nan always made me take back to swap for a colouring book!)

I'm a secret lemonade drinker, ah whites, ah whites, ah whites lemonaaaaaade!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:32 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
I remember the "pop" man coming around in his truck selling bottles of R Whites lemonade etc. Unfortunately we only got some if it was someone's birthday. The fish man used to come around the street on Fridays too.
oh yep - "Friday is Fish day" my Mum still adheres to that, if they are having fish it will usually be on a Friday!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Saving up and collecting aluminium foil, turning it in to a local church official and the proceeds would go to missionary work.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:32 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
I remember the "pop" man coming around in his truck selling bottles of R Whites lemonade etc.
It was Waters & Robson, round our way.

Originally Posted by traceym
The rag and bone man,
Ah, yes, the rag and bone man, with his horse drawn cart...

Thieving Gypsy Bastard...
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rabbit ears on the back/top of the TV. Then you would stick a ball of aluminium foil on the top of the antenna to get better reception.

Vividly remember the milkman and the tin box at the front door where he would deposit the bottles and orders for sour cream, butter and eggs and you could leave the money for his bill in the box without fear of it being stolen.

Remember walking wherever we wanted/needed to go. No soccer moms back then and you could pocket the bus fare by walking.

Jump rope, double dutch, hide and seek, red rover, green light/red light, Simon says, duck, duck, goose and tag. Playing jacks, pick-up sticks, marbles, and going to the library to actually read a book. Going to armory on Friday nights roller skating. You remember the booted skates with four wooden wheels. Meatless Fridays for the Catholics and Friday night dances at the local school.

I would rather do my childhood over again then be a child today.

Coming home when your curfew was because of the fear of the punishment if you weren't there on time.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:27 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Rabbit ears on the back/top of the TV. Then you would stick a ball of aluminium foil on the top of the antenna to get better reception.
Unless Toontje had nicked it for the missionaries.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We had a reel-to-reel tape player. You could change the speed on it and my brother played 'The Good, the Bad & the Ugly' theme very slow and told the rather gullible girl next door we had ghosts.

My husband wrote on slates at school.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:35 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I remember mud pies and playing in fields, the ditchs and getting so filthy dirty, sitting on the coal bunker with my stick and rope trying to catch make believe fish, climbing the tree house and making pretend cups of tea with tiny porcelain tea cups and saucers.

Chasing around and around in a circle until you fell down with dizziness.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:38 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Pffft. I can remember ink pots on school desks, and writing with a nibbed pen!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Pffft. I can remember ink pots on school desks, and writing with a nibbed pen!
Me too lol OMG!! how old are we
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We had a reel-to-reel tape player. You could change the speed on it and my brother played 'The Good, the Bad & the Ugly' theme very slow and told the rather gullible girl next door we had ghosts.

My husband wrote on slates at school.
Oh yes! I remember my dad recording me on a huge reel-to-reel recorder at age 4 reciting nursery rhymes . I still have that recording (transferred to cassette now), and instead of paying attention to the rhyme, I'm constantly asking "what's that?? what's that??" (must have been pointing to the reel-to-reel thingy, LOL)

And I remember slates, too. Didn't use them at school, but I had one when I was a kid to play with. Chalk and a slate. Until I graduated to an etch-a-sketch! Wheeee! Loved that!!

Rene
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
....Until I graduated to an etch-a-sketch! .
Anyone else who had one of these?

Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
Yes and Ker Plunk, and the bucking bronco that you would load up with tools until he flipped lol
Attached Thumbnails I remember when.................-251023317_220d7a06a7.jpg  

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 11th 2010 at 9:57 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all the colored pens!

Dont forget the black wrists and banned from school............
Attached Thumbnails I remember when.................-clackersblue.jpg  
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by traceym
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all the colored pens!

Dont forget the black wrists and banned from school............
There's another name for those these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.