Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hubby really down about going home.

Hubby really down about going home.

Old Mar 20th 2007, 8:40 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hubby really down about going home.

Originally Posted by nicola411
hI Tracey
I am also in a similiar situation to you but my hubby and I have finally reached a turning point in other words he has finally agreed that he wants the marriage to work so he is willing to come home with me and the boys. It took months or arguments and crying on my part but he has finally come around to it.
So are the plans in motion then nicola?
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:10 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey,
Maybe it is you who needs the quick fix of going home to the UK for a few weeks and not your hubby.
Honestly, besides your friends and family nothing has changed here and will be the same as it was when you decided to leave.

Do you currently work in Australia and do you have many Australian friends?
If you are stuck at home all day looking after the children (I'm guessing here) then of course you will be bored, anyone would be. It might be worth while getting a child minder for 3hrs a day to fully experience Australian life and to socialize more with Australians. Even if you do not need the money, I would still recommend doing a job just to get out of the house.
By having British only friends and spending all day on a predominantly British website (this place) will not help you through your homesickness.

I am only saying this because I was in a similar situation to your Husband 10 years ago. I dragged my Wife away from Canada to be with me in the UK and she hated the place. This went on for years until our youngest child was old enough to go to play School and then my Wife started working part time at our local Tesco’s.
She slowly began to make friends and actually enjoyed living in this Country. Of course she still has friends from her mother country and regularly goes home for visits but she is so much happier now with a circle of new friends and albeit she “only” works in Tesco’s but to her it’s a feeling of worth.
I hope this doesn’t sound patronising as it wasn’t meant to.

Good luck
Dan
Old Mar 20th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
hI Tracey
I am also in a similiar situation to you but my hubby and I have finally reached a turning point in other words he has finally agreed that he wants the marriage to work so he is willing to come home with me and the boys. It took months or arguments and crying on my part but he has finally come around to it.
These situations, this "emigration dream", has the potential to break up families and end marriages.
That isn't widely mentioned when the better lifestyle of Australia is promoted.

Last edited by Rosie Cheeks; Mar 20th 2007 at 10:18 am.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 10:11 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Tracey,
Maybe it is you who needs the quick fix of going home to the UK for a few weeks and not your hubby.
Honestly, besides your friends and family nothing has changed here and will be the same as it was when you decided to leave.

If you are stuck at home all day looking after the children (I'm guessing here) then of course you will be bored, anyone would be. It might be worth while getting a child minder for 3hrs a day to fully experience Australian life and to socialize more with Australians. Even if you do not need the money, I would still recommend doing a job just to get out of the house.
By having British only friends and spending all day on a predominantly British website (this place) will not help you through your homesickness.

I am only saying this because I was in a similar situation to your Husband 10 years ago. I dragged my Wife away from Canada to be with me in the UK and she hated the place. This went on for years until our youngest child was old enough to go to play School and then my Wife started working part time at our local Tesco’s.
She slowly began to make friends and actually enjoyed living in this Country. Of course she still has friends from her mother country and regularly goes home for visits but she is so much happier now with a circle of new friends and albeit she “only” works in Tesco’s but to her it’s a feeling of worth.

Good luck
Dan
Tracey is studying for her uni degree Dan, so far from bored on that score.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:37 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey,

Good luck
Dan
For some Danny England is just home, warts and all.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:42 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Also Danny, not everyone left the UK because they hated it! Some of us loved our lives there, just thought it would be better here ( we were greedy).

Tracey is actually a very busy mum, Uni everyday, loads of friends including me

If you hate the UK, it doesn't mean we all have to
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:56 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said I have no idea of Tracey's circumstances, I was only relating my experience as my Wife went through the same thing years ago.

We have a nice life here in the UK but despite this we are moving back to Canada this summer for a complete change in life style. I did not say I hate the UK because I don't. Far from it in fact.
But what I do know is I can be gone for 10 years and when I come back nothing would have changed. All my friends will be doing the same jobs, life here just keeps ticking along and we fancy breaking that cycle by going to Canada and doing something different.

Good luck to you all
Old Mar 20th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Just out of interest Danny, I remember you said you lived in Camberley. Does your wife work at the big Tesco's next to M&S? I love that M&S!
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Tracey for hijacking your thread a bit there.

I've got no answers for you I'm afraid. I've seen this happen to 2 of my good friends, 1 managed to get her husband to come back to the UK with her and they are now very happy and the other couple split up and now the ex husband is forced to stay in a place he doesn't want to be because he wants to see his kids.

Emmigrating isn't for the faint hearted and it's a shame more people don't see what could happen before they run off to live their dream (me included by the way!)
Old Mar 20th 2007, 5:37 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Just out of interest Danny, I remember you said you lived in Camberley. Does your wife work at the big Tesco's next to M&S? I love that M&S!
She started off at Ashford, Middx when we lived in Feltham and then yes she now works at the Camberley branch next to M&S when we moved to this area.

I totall agree, the food at M&S is fantastic, just a bit pricey for everyday consumption
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracey,

Good luck
Dan

EEEEEEEEEkkkkk my stalker is back!!!!

Dan, as the girls have said, I hardly have time to fart I'm that busy a lot of the time!

I have been back to the UK twice (once to cremate my Dad ) and yes, I agree, it was a fix...short term. It made me feel o.k for a month or so, then the usual gut wrenching homesickness started again. Waking up with a knot in my stomach everyday is not much fun. Trouble is, we can't afford for me and the kids to go home every year, it costs around $8k with flights and spending money.

It scares me silly the though of going home. I've had an e-mail from my brother this morning "The UK is going down the pan, the Polish are everywhere, the council don't collect the bins, the tax is ridiculous....." doom and gloom. The UK will always be my home though, warts n all.

By the way, I thought you were going to stalk me from Canada from now on? I thought you'd gone over there.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

What part of worcestershire are you from Tracey? Sorry about your Dad also, not a good way to have to return to the UK, always something I dreaded being so far away. I think homesickness is a curse, I found though the longer I didn't go "home" the easier it was. It took me months to resettle every time I went in the first few years. I found it easier when I didn't go back, I seem to settle a bit better. As much as I liked Oz, I always felt it was too far away and even though I live now in Spain it is easier as I know I can pop back more often, and can get home in a few hours. That has made it easier living in another country for me. Maybe there is a closer country to the UK where you can have a similar lifestyle to Oz but be closer to the UK and which everyone is happier. If your husband doesn't want to go back to the UK, would somewhere like Cyprus etc be a better compromise? (I chose that as it is English Speaking)

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Dan, as the girls have said, I hardly have time to fart I'm that busy a lot of the time!

I have been back to the UK twice (once to cremate my Dad ) and yes, I agree, it was a fix...short term. It made me feel o.k for a month or so, then the usual gut wrenching homesickness started again. Waking up with a knot in my stomach everyday is not much fun. Trouble is, we can't afford for me and the kids to go home every year, it costs around $8k with flights and spending money.

It scares me silly the though of going home. I've had an e-mail from my brother this morning "The UK is going down the pan, the Polish are everywhere, the council don't collect the bins, the tax is ridiculous....." doom and gloom. The UK will always be my home though, warts n all.

By the way, I thought you were going to stalk me from Canada from now on? I thought you'd gone over there.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
So are the plans in motion then nicola?
Yes and no really. We will put the house and business up for sale in August but who knows how long they will take to sell. Then if the house sells first I shall return with the boys and OH will have to stay longer to wait for the business to sell.
So yes I know I am going home I just havent a clue when, hopefully the end of this year but knowing my luck I will still be here this time next year. I am gagging to go home though and some days are defo harder than others.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
These situations, this "emigration dream", has the potential to break up families and end marriages.
That isn't widely mentioned when the better lifestyle of Australia is promoted.
Too true rosie
I tell you what it has been touch and go for months now. I have had the same as Tracey chucked at me too. "How can you be so selfish when me and the kids love it." etc etc.

In the end I think though the constant long face or tears from me wore him down. Or maybe when I stopped talking to him?LOL
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:16 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by TraceyW

We only went to Canada for 1 week, the main reason was checking for Schools and new homes, both of which we found.
So I will be stalking you from Canada July time until then I am here in the UK.

As for what your Brother said, can't say I notice the Polish really, it can't be a bad thing though as a couple of the girls who work in the Staff Canteen here are Polish and certainly brighten my day

Yes there does seem to be rise in the number of stabbings in London recently, I am one of those people who goes around saying "It will never happen to me" so not overly concerned to be honest.

You only have to read http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/default.stm and see that it is full of murders and child cruelty, it is very upsetting to read so I tend not to bother anymore.

The only advice I can offer you is to follow your heart..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.