Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hubby really down about going home.

Hubby really down about going home.

Old Mar 18th 2007, 12:38 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hubby really down about going home.

Me and hubby had another conversation about going home last night. He is so gloomy about the prospect.

He just reckons we'll be stuck in the house not being able to go out because it's raining. He'll be scraping frost off the car, the kids will not be able to play outside like they do here because of all the weirdo's, houses will be pokey, traffic will be ridiculous, immigrants will be everywhere, crime will be rife...oh the list is endless as far as he's concerned. Basically he just hasn't got one shred of enthusiasm to go back and it's really making me question things.

How do I make him do something he doesn't want to do? I want him to be happy too. He would never have made me come here if I didn't want to come, so it's not really very fair that I'm 'making' him go back to somewhere he doesn't want to live. I just feel that all this going home thing is all about me and that's selfish on my part. Hubby and the kids are o.k here and after all, there are four of us in this family, not just me. And it is just me really that dislikes this life we're living. He'd like to try living on the Gold Coast as he reckons our lives would be much better there.

What do I do? It's all such a bloody mess.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hubby really down about going home.

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Me and hubby had another conversation about going home last night. He is so gloomy about the prospect.

He just reckons we'll be stuck in the house not being able to go out because it's raining. He'll be scraping frost off the car, the kids will not be able to play outside like they do here because of all the weirdo's, houses will be pokey, traffic will be ridiculous, immigrants will be everywhere, crime will be rife...oh the list is endless as far as he's concerned. Basically he just hasn't got one shred of enthusiasm to go back and it's really making me question things.

How do I make him do something he doesn't want to do? I want him to be happy too. He would never have made me come here if I didn't want to come, so it's not really very fair that I'm 'making' him go back to somewhere he doesn't want to live. I just feel that all this going home thing is all about me and that's selfish on my part. Hubby and the kids are o.k here and after all, there are four of us in this family, not just me. And it is just me really that dislikes this life we're living. He'd like to try living on the Gold Coast as he reckons our lives would be much better there.

You should be married to me, I'd be off like a bloody shot!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy pet, i do feel for you reading this thread. You might stay for your family whilst im returning for mine!

I go through different emotions every minute of the day should i stay, its a great lifestyle in the offereing etc etc, im emotionally drained : However ive made a decision and will stick by it though I intend my lifestyle (and my teenage computer addicted son's)to be changed radically when I return.

I dont really have any advice, not been here long enough for that but just wanted you to know im thinking of you.

regards

lolly
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

People don't understand why I am not actively looking to move to the uK - its for exactly this reason, I may know that I'd love to go home, and I'd be haoppier - but I'd be doing it at the expense of someone else's happiness, The Bloke's.
I wish I could give you a quick fix answer Tracey, but there isn't one. its a problem thats all to common - esp amongst couples from different countries. All I can do is offer you sympathy, and the knowledge that a lot of us really do understand.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:13 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you, I think the part of a marriage that people don't mention is the compromise and having to take big decisions as a couple. Have you talked honestly to your husband about your feelings, is he listening and does he really know how you feel?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:46 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Sending you heaps of empathy on that one Tracey. I really know how you feel but don't know what the answer is either. I'm getting desperate to return home, even for a couple of years, but there is absolutely no way OH will go with me to even give it a try (he's a born and bred Kiwi). He seems to think we'll shrivel up and die if we live in England - he listens to the 'happy to be here ex-pats' painting their picture of doom and gloom in England.

I guess if you could have frequent trips back for holidays it might be better than nothing, but who can afford that especially with children.

I confess to getting seriously resentful at times towards my bloke but don't think I want to call it quits on my marriage... but it has crossed my mind. It is a very hard thing to resolve when you both want to be in a different place.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:02 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I really feel for you Tracey as I am in much the same position. It's not that I don't like it here, I just don't like it enough and I really have tried. I don't want to exist anymore without being near my family. I miss them so much it hurts. Crikey, I've been here 10 years and if that's not trying I don't know what is! Hubby wanted too go home last time we were in UK. He promised while we were there that we'd set the wheels in motion as soon as we got back here, but it never happened. After 3 months of me gathering info on jobs, houses, uni's for son etc. etc.,I realised that he had settled back into life here and wasn't going anywhere. I just don't know what I'm going to do, I'm even considering going it alone now. I don't want to die unhappy, but if I stay here I most certainly will.

When our son finishes uni next year and is no longer dependent on us, then I really do have to make a firm decision, but even the thought of existing the way I am for that much longer is getting to me more and more now. It is a dreadful way to exist and if you fancy a chat, you are more than welcome to pop round.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Mar 18th 2007 at 5:05 am.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:32 am
LCT
Forum Regular

LCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud ofLCT has much to be proud of

For months I have thought that I was the only person silly enough to have got myself into such a pickle. It seems there are quite a lot of us. I completely understand your situation as my Aussie fiance does not want to go and live in the UK yet I am yearning to jump on a plane. I came here as it was what he wanted, stupidly ignoring my gut feeling which has been yelling at me for years "I don't want to live in Australia!". I completely admire the people above who are able to sacrifice their happiness for that of their partner. Personally, I must be too selfish as I think I am considering going home alone. I think I am thinking about it. I think. Argggggggggggggggg who knows!?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Silly question maybe...but have you and hubby had a holiday in the UK recently, maybe it would help him to feel better about going back?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:46 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LCT
For months I have thought that I was the only person silly enough to have got myself into such a pickle. It seems there are quite a lot of us. I completely understand your situation as my Aussie fiance does not want to go and live in the UK yet I am yearning to jump on a plane. I came here as it was what he wanted, stupidly ignoring my gut feeling which has been yelling at me for years "I don't want to live in Australia!". I completely admire the people above who are able to sacrifice their happiness for that of their partner. Personally, I must be too selfish as I think I am considering going home alone. I think I am thinking about it. I think. Argggggggggggggggg who knows!?
I don't think you're being too selfish, and anyway if you're not being then doesn't that mean that he is? Bit of psychological delving to be done answering that one I feel.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:07 am
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Just wanted to send some hugs your way. I have little advice to give, but I know how you feel. It's taken 4 years of begging and pleading my hubby to consider going to the UK with me. It's hard! I hope that you two can come to some sort of agreement and that things work out! PM me if you need to vent.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 4:40 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey - I know exactly how you feel - I too had the same dilemna but in the end Hubby saw it my way and we came home - it was a huge compromise on his part but I was so lucky to be married to someone who put my happiness before his own. I have to say during my 2 years in Perth we met many English couples - the story was nearly always the same - the girls wanted to go home to Blighty but the blokes were all 'UK is rubbish etc etc' . All i can say is really try and tell hubby how miserable you are - I truly believe your kids can have a great life in either Perth or the UK - the UK still has a lot to offer despite all the recent UK bashing - I don't for a minute regret my return to the UK especially when I see my kids running round the garden laughing and playing with their cousins, uncles and doting grandparents - to me that's what life's all about - and a temperate 25 degree summers day in the UK beats any 38+ degree sweltering summers day in Perth hands down! And it may sound extremely shallow but give me Tescos over Woolies and Coles anyday.

Hubby and kids maybe happy but would they be so happy if they knew how miserable you were - we all put our children first - it's what Mothers do - but today is Mother's day in the UK so today of all days put yourself first and tell them how you really feel!!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 7:56 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Silly question maybe...but have you and hubby had a holiday in the UK recently, maybe it would help him to feel better about going back?
Yes a good idea this one You may even find that what you think is the Great britain is indeed failling bigtime (Not many British consider it Great anymore ).. This then will make you realise that what the Majority of your family are seeing is right ! And its you who has the problem and where ever you live you would never be happy ?

Just something to ponder over
Old Mar 18th 2007, 9:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
And its you who has the problem and where ever you live you would never be happy ?
You seem to be talking from personal experience
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracey I really feel for you.
.For what its worth I know just how you feel.
It really is such a hard situation.
We are going back soon we are not saying forever as we are going back to see how it goes.Who knows we may return.
It has been hard enough .My hubby is the same he does not want to go back he is not close to his family at all and really has nothing to go back for.I feel really bad but he knows how things are and is going to give it a go I respect him for that.
There are opportunities for him in the uk and we have have plans but we will see how it all goes and if the children and hubby really are unhappy then we may return.
Its hard enough but when they start going on about all the negative stuff it confuses the hell out of you.
Hang on in there wishing you all the luck to resolve your dilemma.Karma sent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.