Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hubby really down about going home.

Hubby really down about going home.

Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Bex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to all
Default Re: Hubby really down about going home.

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Hi Bex,

I used to live in Wokingham, so know the area well. I'm sure you've already tried this but there is a theology college at Binfield. Has your husband tried there? Also Reading Grammar is ranked one of the best schools in the country in terms of results. You won't have to wait too long, at least for the eldest boy. Also, there are some good, cheaper private schools near Basingstoke. My friend's boy goes to one there which covers primary and high school.

From your husband's point of view, the thing's he was homesick for have, sadly, gone so he feels no real pull any more, but your family are still there so you have reason to stay.

Don't know what else to say really, but I hope you can work this one out.

Jane
Hi Jane,

Thanks for your comments.

Nothing going at Newbold College in Binfield sadly. My hubby is doing a bit of freelance, marking etc and research but nothing stable.

Reading Grammer we have no chance of getting in. We missed the entrance exam fo 13+ and were advised not to hold our breath for a place to come up. While it is free it is so oversubscribed it is unreal. The only private schools around here are in the region of £4000 a term, we were paying that per year for two kids. Anyway, when you are unemployed even a £1000 whould be too much We have tried and hubby, bless him, would still apply for a job if one comes up in the next couple of weeks. Funny though, this time of year in Perth he would apply for a dozen or more - now we are here not one has come up - education cuts are biting!

Thanks though, and I thin kyou rae right about hubbys ties - I asked him if he would be so keen to go back if his parents were alive. He appreciates the point!

Becky
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only male contributing to this thread?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:04 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bex66
Reading Grammer we have no chance of getting in. We missed the entrance exam fo 13+ and were advised not to hold our breath for a place to come up. While it is free it is so oversubscribed it is unreal.
Oh well, they might have had a lucky escape. Apparantly boys turn into little monsters once they go there .

Take care,
Jane
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your comments.

Nothing going at Newbold College in Binfield sadly. My hubby is doing a bit of freelance, marking etc and research but nothing stable.

Reading Grammer we have no chance of getting in. We missed the entrance exam fo 13+ and were advised not to hold our breath for a place to come up. While it is free it is so oversubscribed it is unreal. The only private schools around here are in the region of £4000 a term, we were paying that per year for two kids. Anyway, when you are unemployed even a £1000 whould be too much We have tried and hubby, bless him, would still apply for a job if one comes up in the next couple of weeks. Funny though, this time of year in Perth he would apply for a dozen or more - now we are here not one has come up - education cuts are biting!

Thanks though, and I thin kyou rae right about hubbys ties - I asked him if he would be so keen to go back if his parents were alive. He appreciates the point!

Becky
I'm from Wokingham and I would say there are some great state schools there with good results. My friend sends her daughter to Edgbarrow and is very pleased. Charters in Ascot is very good too. There is Ranelagh if you have church connections. You should look in the surrounding areas of Reading, I think you would like it more.

Last edited by fishfinger; Apr 12th 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Bex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to allBex66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I'm from Wokingham and I would say there are some great state schools there with good results. My friend sends her daughter to Edgbarrow and is very pleased. Charters in Ascot is very good too. There is Ranelagh if you have church connections. You should look in the surrounding areas of Reading, I think you would like it more.
hi

thanks for this. We have looked around but where we are in Woodley we only have one option, Waingels School. Don't know if you have heard of it? it is the local comprehensive for Woodley and not too good. The last OFSTED report was polite but pointed out a lot of areas for improvements. There are better schools around, in Earley and Reading but all are over subscribed. If you don't want to go to your local school it is a case of going on a waiting list along with many many others. Any private school here is way out of our reach - we have looked.

Thanks though, and we like Reading - great shops!

Becky
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

hi

thanks for this. We have looked around but where we are in Woodley we only have one option, Waingels School. Don't know if you have heard of it? it is the local comprehensive for Woodley and not too good. The last OFSTED report was polite but pointed out a lot of areas for improvements. There are better schools around, in Earley and Reading but all are over subscribed. If you don't want to go to your local school it is a case of going on a waiting list along with many many others. Any private school here is way out of our reach - we have looked.

Becky
Yep, I had a friend who lived in Woodley and her parents wouldn't send her to Waingels. She went to The Holt instead. Have you considered moving out of Woodley? (I must admit I don't like Woodley at all) We're going to be searching for a senior school for our son too so I know what a concern it is. I'm actually trying to get him into Ranelagh but if not I will probably go for Edgbarrow.

Reading shopping is great! I can't wait to get back to that
Old Apr 12th 2007, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fishfinger
Yep, I had a friend who lived in Woodley and her parents wouldn't send her to Waingels. She went to The Holt instead. Have you considered moving out of Woodley? (I must admit I don't like Woodley at all) We're going to be searching for a senior school for our son too so I know what a concern it is. I'm actually trying to get him into Ranelagh but if not I will probably go for Edgbarrow.

Reading shopping is great! I can't wait to get back to that
I only wish we could move!!! We wanted to be in Didcot - over by Oxford but when we arrived back from Oz we realisedwe had a serious probelm with renting. With no jobs an agency wouldn't touch us and there was a real shortage anyway of three be houses in the area. Anyway, to cut a long story short, my second cousin has a cousin who was looking to rent this house in Woodley, was happy for us to have it with no references or jobs etc s oit was just the easiest choice. After 4 weeks at my parents we were desperate!!!!

Good luck in your return.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

I only wish we could move!!! We wanted to be in Didcot - over by Oxford but when we arrived back from Oz we realisedwe had a serious probelm with renting. With no jobs an agency wouldn't touch us and there was a real shortage anyway of three be houses in the area. Anyway, to cut a long story short, my second cousin has a cousin who was looking to rent this house in Woodley, was happy for us to have it with no references or jobs etc s oit was just the easiest choice. After 4 weeks at my parents we were desperate!!!!

That's a shame. We will be staying with my parents too for a while so I'm hoping we won't have to make a rash decision. I hope it all works out for you.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:29 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Oh well, they might have had a lucky escape. Apparantly boys turn into little monsters once they go there .

Take care,
Jane
All teenagers turn into little monsters from another planet, didn't you know?

hi

Becky
My sister lives part time in Tilehurst and she says the same about the shops. I was thinking of maybe looking around that area when we finally come home, that is if my sister is still there.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:06 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Did you try offering them a few months rent up front instead of the job requirement? We had the same issues when we came back but the agencies we contacted understood our predicament and said they could work around it by either rent up front or guarantor. We also found that private rentals advertised in the local press didn't want credit checks at all.