Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Joe B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And were he to leave her, a VAWA-based petition might well be possible.
Isn't a VAWA-based petition just for women?

http://public.getlegal.com/legal-inf...-violence-visa

Last edited by Joe B; Oct 3rd 2011 at 3:31 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe B

Men can be abused as well. VAWA is meant to used when the foreign spouse, no matter which gender, is being abused by the American spouse.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

BTW, it also matches the no I gave you in your question Do you need a sponsor to obtain a green card? over in the US marriage forums.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Joe B will become famous soon enough

The catch is if I was to tell how how she hit me, how she threw hot tea at me and all the other stuff I wouldn't want her to get prosecuted. If she was told to get on a spousal abuse management course or something, now that would be a blessing.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The catch is if I was to tell how how she hit me, how she threw hot tea at me and all the other stuff I wouldn't want her to get prosecuted. If she was told to get on a spousal abuse management course or something, now that would be a blessing.
A domestic battery charge would work nicely in your favor. However, it's not all lost without one.

You need to formulate a plan and work on it:

You both leave for the UK -- seems unlikely from what you've written.

You leave for the UK -- you're certainly unlikely to be seeing your kids in the US for the next decade. And it doesn't sound like she'll be popping them on a plane to visit you in the UK.

You stay in the US together, you remain undocumented and accept her abuse -- it's going to end with one or both of you going to jail and/or you being deported.

You stay in the US and she has a brain fart and suddenly supports and works on regularising your status -- while you're there put a thousand bucks on a single number on a roulette wheel because it's more likely to be successful than this plan.

You leave her and make a life for yourself and kids in the US using a VAWA petition to gain your residency -- iffy but possible.

Last edited by fatbrit; Oct 3rd 2011 at 6:01 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Time to stop being a victim, Joe. Until you stand up for yourself this will not only continue but get worse. Read what I said about boundaries. You need to establish yours and do what is necessary to put a stop to this.