Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I convince my American wife to move to England?

Originally Posted by essexnick
Joe - There is another option to think about. How about just getting on a plane and going home? Sounds harsh huh, but I wonder if it has crossed your mind.

You gotta also think about your life and where you really want to see out the rest of your days. Can you live without her or the kids? I read here that your partner sounds like she does not give a s**t, maybe that's true or maybe not? I don't know. And you probably don't want to hear it as you have feelings for her, but the question is do you really want to stay with her and the kids or do you want to go home without her. Is maybe crying out that you want to go back to England really a cry of you want out of the relationship?

I'm sure people on here will disagree and say typical men or not being responsible, but is living with someone who you don't really love good for anyone, especially "just for the kids" sake.

I may be putting words into your mouth or ideas into your head, but you really need to look in the mirror and ask yourself the real reason you want to leave. Is it for you, for them or something else?

England is here now and will be when you are 6ft under. Life is short and complicated, but ultimately you need to do what is right for you as you don't get a second chance.
This woman agrees with you.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think no one on here is telling Joe to up and leave his kids. I can understand him not staying with his wife. However, assuming he wants to be involved with his kids, he needs to get his immigration status sorted out. Unfortunately, he will have to involve his wife though, in order to adjust his status. I hope she will cooperate with him, as his continuing presence in the US, and continuing involvement with their kids, depends on it.

If he files now, and gets approved, it's likely he will receive a 10yr green card, and will able to skip the 2yr conditional card.

Joe, perhaps all this nebulous crap surrounding your lack of status is contributing to your feelings about the US. The US is far, far from perfect, but if you can get your status sorted, perhaps find a job and help your family's financial security, you'll enjoy living here more. It sounds like you've only lived in one location, so maybe you could consider moving elsewhere within the US to a place that feels more like home. If she doesn't want to move to England, then perhaps relocating within the US would give you the best of both worlds...of course, that assumes you still love your wife and want to stay with her.

Living with someone with bipolar disorder is hard at the best of times, but more so when they haven't been diagnosed and aren't receiving meds or therapy. My stepsister has it, and it's like knowing two different people. I hope you can get her the help she needs for the sake of your relationship and for the security of your children.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Joe B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass

Living with someone with bipolar disorder is hard at the best of times, but more so when they haven't been diagnosed and aren't receiving meds or therapy. My stepsister has it, and it's like knowing two different people. I hope you can get her the help she needs for the sake of your relationship and for the security of your children.
Its very difficult. For some reason, generally my wife likes to do the shopping day by day. We went after she finished work and now she wants me to go again for diapers. I have a splitting headache and I said we have enough until tomorrow and she then got all moody. I prefer to get all the shopping done at the weekend in one go, I have been every day this week. Every time I want to change how we live for the better she gets moody.

Today I talked about getting a green card and she seemed fine and I said I need to get about $3,000 but she goes quiet when the money is mentioned. What gets me is if I do get a green card and a job, she'll not be quiet on pay day.

For instance we have a beautiful Neapolitan fire surround with turned wood moldings and mirror over the top. It is well worth over $1,000 and could be $3,000 maybe more, I would have this off the wall in a jiffy and down to the antiquity dealer to fund the green card, but my wife doesn't want to sell anything.

Sometimes I don't feel like I'm married, I feel like I'm her boyfriend. She is the breadwinner and trying to get her on the same page with 'us' funding the green card is hard. She doesn't seem to realize that paying the green card fees means me getting a job and earning thousands for our family.

This makes me feel more and more bitter. My idea of marriage is that we share. One day I'll be breadwinner and she may not be working and she may want something, in the past I would have done my best to get it, now I'm not sure.

Last edited by Joe B; Sep 30th 2011 at 2:18 am.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe B
Its very difficult. For some reason, generally my wife likes to do the shopping day by day. We went after she finished work and now she wants me to go again for diapers. I have a splitting headache and I said we have enough until tomorrow and she then got all moody. I prefer to get all the shopping done at the weekend in one go, I have been every day this week. Every time I want to change how we live for the better she gets moody.

Today I talked about getting a green card and she seemed fine and I said I need to get about $3,000 but she goes quiet when the money is mentioned. What gets me is if I do get a green card and a job, she'll not be quiet on pay day.

For instance we have a beautiful Neapolitan fire surround with turned wood moldings and mirror over the top. It is well worth over $1,000 and could be $3,000 maybe more, I would have this off the wall in a jiffy and down to the antiquity dealer to fund the green card, but my wife doesn't want to sell anything.

Sometimes I don't feel like I'm married, I feel like I'm her boyfriend. She is the breadwinner and trying to get her on the same page with 'us' funding the green card is hard. She doesn't seem to realize that paying the green card fees means me getting a job and earning thousands for our family.

This makes me feel more and more bitter. My idea of marriage is that we share. One day I'll be breadwinner and she may not be working and she may want something, in the past I would have done my best to get it, now I'm not sure.
Joe, I think it is very important that you establish boundaries, meaning that you don't permit yourself to be controlled by her moods and dictates, i.e. her moods are her domain, your ways, wishes and desires are your domain. It sounds very much as though she manipulates you with her moods and mannerisms but you don't need to let this happen.
We can only be manipulated to the degree that we allow it.
I certainly don't want to tell you what to do but just as an example, you could say "OK, we need to make a plan for my green card. I would like to do this together as a shared exercise but if you are unwilling, I shall have to make the plan myself."
.. and it is certainly reasonable to say "No, since there are enough diapers for today. I will pick some more up tomorrow." Remember you have a right to your feelings, wishes and needs too, and if she is unwilling to cooperate and compromise, there is no reason that you have to always bow to her wishes. Think about setting some boundaries for yourself. This is an exercise for all of us to show that we deserve to be treated well.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:13 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife could also have post partum depression as you mentioned you have very young children 1 and 2.
I would love to hear your wifes side of the story.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 11:33 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Me too. Bad relationships usually have two victims and two perpetrators.

The key to getting through the bad times is for both people to understanding exactly how they themselves are perpetrators, and in what ways their spouse is also a victim.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Me too. Bad relationships usually have two victims and two perpetrators.

The key to getting through the bad times is for both people to understanding exactly how they themselves are perpetrators, and in what ways their spouse is also a victim.
We have been to two different marriage councilors so they can hear both sides of the story at the end they offer healthy advice for us to follow. My wife simply ignores what they have said.

One was that we would both be responsible on how money was to be managed. This was suggested in January 2011 and nothing as changed since. My wife gets the money and spends it how she pleases, next week 1 or 2 days before her next pay day we will have no money. This is how it always is.

My biggest problem is not being assertive enough. I'm either passive or get really annoyed with her.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moi
Your wife could also have post partum depression as you mentioned you have very young children 1 and 2.
She was like it before she had the kids.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:00 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to tell you this, but a USC spouse who doesn't realize the importance of her foreign husband's legal residency is a dunce.

It's not just that you cannot work. You are illegally present in the US, and you've been that way for a long time. If you decide to leave without adjusting your status, you have a 10 year bar against you for entry into the US. That means you won't be seeing your children unless she brings them to you. Even when that 10 years pass, you can never again enter the US on the Visa Waiver. You will have to seek a B visa from the US consulate in London.

I actually consider this to be a form of spousal abuse against a foreign partner.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I hate to tell you this, but a USC spouse who doesn't realize the importance of her foreign husband's legal residency is a dunce.

It's not just that you cannot work. You are illegally present in the US, and you've been that way for a long time. If you decide to leave without adjusting your status, you have a 10 year bar against you for entry into the US. That means you won't be seeing your children unless she brings them to you. Even when that 10 years pass, you can never again enter the US on the Visa Waiver. You will have to seek a B visa from the US consulate in London.

I actually consider this to be a form of spousal abuse against a foreign partner.
"spousal abuse against a foreign partner" I like that a lot. When we got married she joked with her work mates that I was her mail order bride, I don't think she was joking.

She used to say I shouldn't worry about a green card I should be glad I was in the US.

1/2 hour ago she asked me to go to Walmart for chocolate and I said okay but can we at least start getting weekly snacks in at one go and she said no because they'll get eaten too fast and then reminded me of how she had been to work all day. I said I'll go but I just want to stop having to go every night. She told me to forget it.

Wednesday night 11pm while we are snug in bed she asked me to go to Walmart for chips.

Honestly if she doesn't get her way on 'everything' (except one, me drinking tea, she told the marriage councilor that I should stop and the marriage councilor told her that an Englishman should have his tea lol) she gets upset and seeks to punish me, its kind of like psychological bullying.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:42 am
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

1/2 hour ago she asked me to go to Walmart for chocolate and I said okay but can we at least start getting weekly snacks in at one go and she said no because they'll get eaten too fast and then reminded me of how she had been to work all day. I said I'll go but I just want to stop having to go every night. She told me to forget it.

Wednesday night 11pm while we are snug in bed she asked me to go to Walmart for chips.

Is she preggers again?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:44 am
moi
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=moi;9650911]1/2 hour ago she asked me to go to Walmart for chocolate

Walmart choccie - that is enough to get her to England for our Cadburys chocolate at least.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 3:56 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Joe but you have more problems than needing that green card, your wife is acting very weird, she's down right abusive, she likes you being illegal, it gives her power over you. If you piss her off completely whats to stop her calling the INS (or whatever they are called now) and having you deported so she gets to carry on as normal for her and you don't get to fight her for the kids. You have no power here at all.
Do the kids have their registrations of birth abroad? Or does she want to make sure they aren't recognized as UK citizens also.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

thephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nicethephionex is just really nice

"spousal abuse against a foreign partner" I like that a lot. When we got married she joked with her work mates that I was her mail order bride, I don't think she was joking.

She used to say I shouldn't worry about a green card I should be glad I was in the US.

Honestly if she doesn't get her way on 'everything' (except one, me drinking tea, she told the marriage councilor that I should stop and the marriage councilor told her that an Englishman should have his tea lol) she gets upset and seeks to punish me, its kind of like psychological bullying.

A couple of questions do you have a US driving licence if not how are you getting around ie to wallmart for chocolate and if not you are running a very hi risk of getting caught and charged with a crime of driving without a licence this then opens up a whole new debate
Old Oct 1st 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Just say no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.